DSK Legal & Harish Salve win speedy Bombay HC bail for Salman Khan after 5 years sentence for driving drunk without licence & killing [UPDATE-5]

Barely hours after he was sentenced to five years jail in the 2002 accident case, Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was granted two days interim bail on medical grounds by the Bombay High Court today.

Rushing post-haste to secure bail, Salman’s defence team led by Supreme Court counsel Harish Salve mentioned the matter before Justice A.M. Thipsay of the Bombay High Court.

Salve cited medical reasons for seeking bail and also argued that a person could not be arrested on the basis of a summarised court order.

Correction: Bail was applied applied for on the ground that the judgement wasn’t ready yet, not for medical reasons.

He said they were awaiting a copy of the lower court order, after which Justice Thipsay said he was already out on bail and has not yet got a copy of the judgement and granted two days interim relief till May 8.

Update: DSK Legal Mumbai partners Anand Desai and Nirav Shah, and associate Manhar Singh Saini, acted for Salman Khan. Public prosecutor SS Shinde acted for the State of Maharashtra.

The hearing on the bail application will now be taken up on Friday morning.

Earlier on Wednesday morning, Additional Sessions Judge D.W. Deshpande found the actor guilty of all the charges in the September 2002 accident which left one person dead and four people injured, and later pronounced a five-year sentence.

Friday would be the final working day of the Bombay High Court before it goes on its annual summer vacation and will reopen on June 7.

Earlier:

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was today sentenced to five years in jail for a 2002 hit-and-run accident here that left one man dead and four others injured.

As Additional Sessions Judge D.W. Deshpande, who earlier found him guilty on all the charges, pronounced the sentence in a packed courtroom here, the 49-year-old Salman was in tears.

His sisters, Alvira and Arpita, tried to console him although they themselves were crying.

One of the highest paid actors in Bollywood, Salman was sentenced for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, driving without valid licence and other charges.

The judge also held Salman guilty of rash and negligent driving when he was behind the wheel of his Land Cruiser that killed the victim on a footpath in suburban Bandra in September 2002.

Special Public Prosecutor Pradeep Gharat said the court has found Salman guilty on all counts.

Defence lawyer Shrikant Shivade, who pleaded for a milder sentence keeping in view the social services the actor was involved in and his medical problems, is expected to move the Bombay High Court.

Legal experts said the time was too short for Salman’s defence team as the court will close for the annual summer vacation after three days (from May 9) and reopen only on June 7.

Salman, known for giving blockbusters like “Kick”, “Wanted” and “Ek Tha Tiger”, has acted in nearly 100 movies since he made his debut in 1988 with “Biwi Ho Toh Aisi” as a supporting actor.

The film that brought him glory was the 1989 hit “Maine Pyar Kiya”.

Filmmakers, musicians and actors expressed solidarity with the mega star.

“We all know that Salman is excellent as human who can’t fight with destiny,” said Subhash Ghai, Bollywood producer and director.

Actor-producer Riteish Deshmukh called Salman one of the “finest people I have met in this industry”.

Actress Bipasha Basu added: “Salman is the nicest human being in this business… Deeply saddened.”

Actress-producer Dia Mirza said: “He is the man (who) saved my mother’s life. That I will never forget.”

Actress Sonakshi Sinha, Salman’s co-star in “Dabangg”, called the verdict “terrible news”. Director Kunal Kohli said he was “heartbroken”.

Actress Alia Bhatt, daughter of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, tweeted: “We love you and are standing by you.”

But activist lawyer Abha Singh said justice has finally been done.

“I am very happy,” she told the media. “Justice has been done. The law has been upheld.”

She said the long delay had given the impression that the rich could get away with murder in India, and that the moneyed were above the law.

Abha Singh had sought to intervene in the Sessions Court on Wednesday with an application seeking to record the witness statement of one of Salman’s friends, singer Kamaal Khan, who was in the killer vehicle.

Judge Deshpande declined to accept the application.

The court also rejected the belated statement by Salman’s driver Ashok Singh owning up responsibility for the accident. The prosecution is contemplating charging him with perjury.

Salman is likely to be taken into police custody and, after a medical examination, will be sent to the Arthur Road Central Jail in south Mumbai.

This is the third case of a high-profile Bollywood actor going to jail in Mumbai.

In May 2013, actor Sanjay Dutt was convicted for his role in the 1993 Mumbai serial bombings and sentenced to five years in jail. He is lodged in Pune’s Yerwada Central Jail.

In March 2011, a Mumbai Sessions Court sentenced actor Shiney Ahuja to seven years for raping his domestic help in 2009. Since April 2011, he is out on bail, pending a hearing of his appeal against the sentence.

Comments

Aston 6 May 2015, 09:11
+69 -43
...his fate is in some Senior Counsel's hand now!

Vacation starts from Friday.
bhairoxx 6 May 2015, 11:45
+67 -43
bail ho gaya re... bail ho gaya... #bhairoxx
hubba 6 May 2015, 14:01
+67 -45
Kian, instead of having a paragraph dedicated to Salman Khan's debut and filmography, could we not have had a line saying Harish Salve appeared and successfully argued for his bail?
kianganz 6 May 2015, 14:07
+66 -43
Like this third paragraph? :)

"Salve cited medical reasons for seeking bail and also argued that a person could not be arrested on the basis of a summarised court order.

"He said they were awaiting a copy of the lower court order, after which Justice Thipsay said he was already out on bail and has not yet got a copy of the judgement and granted two days interim relief till May 8."

Didn't know Salve acted till around half an hour ago, then updated story...
Guest 6 May 2015, 15:12
+64 -40
Firstly, under principles of Constitutional Law, the presumption is that the laws and amendments ARE CONSTITUTIONAL.

Supreme Courts Justices are incorrect on the burden of proof when they said,
"Even if we assume for a moment that there is no primacy to the CJI or the collegium, you still cannot succeed before us until you prove that the new system protects independence of judiciary."
The burden of proof is on the Petitioners to show that it is Un-Constitutional.
The burden is not on Mukul Rohatgi to show that it is indeed Constitutional.

Rohatgi does not need to prove "that the new system protects independence of judiciary."
On the contrary, the Petitioners need to prove beyond reasonable doubt "that the new system VIOLATES independence of judiciary."

What are these Justices upto? Do they know the principles of Jurisprudence?

Secondly, the 1993 judgment is not applicable here since that 1993 judgment was based on the reading of the Constitutional prevalent at that time, i.e. 1993. Today, the Constitution has been amended to make NJAC supreme in judicial appointments. Justices cannot go against the Constitution by harping on the old 1993 Constitution where, because there was no mention of who was supreme, they were forced to read into it (1993 version) a supremacy of the CJI. Today, that excuse or compulsion is no longer available, valid or relevant.
Seema Sapra 7 May 2015, 12:47
+11 -1
You have raised this issue in the wrong thread, but responding on your second point, Rohatgi is correct in asking for a larger Bench because for the NJAC to stand the collegium judgments will have to be reversed or challenged as otherwise after hearing arguments on the limited question of the NJAC amendment, the Supreme Court might rely on the 1993 and 1998 decisions to rule that the NJAC amendment is unconstitutional on the ground of violation of the "basic structure" of the Constitution affording the CJI/ collegium supremacy.

Therefore the basic structure argument needs to be addressed

According to me appointment of judges is not a judicial function and cannot fall within the ambit of judicial power. In no other country in the world do judges appoint judges. As such it has to necessarily be an executive function. The 1993 judgement was wrong and needs to be over0ruled.
Respect 7 May 2015, 16:24
+0 -20
It's Mr. Rohatgi. Have some respect for your seniors especially the AG even if you're not saying anything against the man.
Seema Sapra 7 May 2015, 18:23
+18 -0
Well actually you are free to prostrate before him, I'll stick to calling him Rohatgi. Your comment is so totally unnecessary. I don't need you to teach me anything.
Seema Sapra 7 May 2015, 18:26
+13 -0
And I don't have any "seniors".
As far as what I think of Rohatgi, I'll avoid going into here because it is irrelevant to my original comment.
Aston 6 May 2015, 15:16
+2 -0
kian, there is no mention of medical grounds in the order!!!
http://bombayhighcourt.nic.in/generatenewauth.php?auth=cGF0aD0uL2RhdGEvY3JpbWluYWwvMjAxNS8mZm5hbWU9QVBQQTU5MjE1MDYwNTE1LnBkZiZzbWZsYWc9Tg==

Also, read on Twitter that Salve was in Bombay HC for a Vodafone matter & how he suddenly appeared for Salman in a matter of hours is a mystery.
Ra Hulgandi 7 May 2015, 13:12
+0 -0
LoLs! Some people have the knack to follow the smell of money wherever it is! This is why you remain a mango man!
Wishes being horses 6 May 2015, 15:18
+28 -1
How I wish us mango lawyers and our mango clients could be entertained like this by the Honorable HC. Post-lunch mentioning. Without the State being present. Without an Order copy. Without even arrest being completed!

The State shall not deny to any person equality before the law or the equal protection of the laws within the territory of India.

Thereby hangs our tail.
Lawyer 7 May 2015, 10:00
+3 -0
Did you even read order. State's counsel was present there.
hubba 6 May 2015, 15:42
+0 -0
Good update
Aston 6 May 2015, 16:35
+2 -2
DSK Legal is representing Salman Khan. Fab job guys.
Kian, the Associates who worked on this deserve a mention here!!

http://bombayhighcourt.nic.in/casequery_action.php?auth=bV9zaWRlZmxnPUNSJm1fZmlsX25vPTAxMzIxMDA1OTIyMDE1Jm1fc3I9UiZtX3NrZXk9QVBQQSZtX25vPTU5MiZtX3lyPTIwMTUmbV9oYz0wMSZzZXNzaW9udGltZT0xNDMwOTI5Njcx
Lawyer 7 May 2015, 11:10
+3 -1
[b]And associates who got him the conviction also need a mention here. DSK itself was handling the matter before trial court with the local counsel.[/b]
Aston 7 May 2015, 11:25
+0 -0
oh, is it?
Ra Hulgandi 7 May 2015, 13:10
+0 -0
Really! such a botched up fight!
Chi Chi 6 May 2015, 17:10
+24 -0
Bhai got bail...faster than most of us can get bhel!
Three cheers for...the system.
Alas! 7 May 2015, 05:51
+8 -0
This clearly shows the extremely sorry state of affairs of judiciary and lawyers in India. Just because Salve appeared, Salman Khan got bail. If it were some "not well known" lawyer, he would not have been able to obtain bail for Salman Khan. With all due respects to Salve, I wish to state that "larger than life" lawyers have become "larger than law" lawyers which is extremely detrimental to the interests of profession, judiciary and society.
Watching from Bombay 7 May 2015, 10:12
+1 -3
DSK Legal is soon emerging as the favourite of the actors, movie folks and media. Kudos to Mr. Desai and his team.
FYI, Harish Salve may have been there for the AMSS mediation which concluded a day earlier.
Lawyer 8 May 2015, 06:37
+0 -0
May have been? Lallu.
Lawyer 7 May 2015, 11:08
+4 -0
[b]Itna bada article. Yawn.[/b]
kianganz 7 May 2015, 11:10
+2 -6
Good night, sleep tight! :)
FYI 7 May 2015, 14:15
+0 -0
Please upload the 240 page sessions court order or someone please post a link. It seems to be available with major media houses now.
ambar 7 May 2015, 21:23
+0 -3
east or west, nlu delhi is the best :*
Lawyer 8 May 2015, 06:36
+1 -1
DSK Legal wins bail. What about DSK legal lets's salman lose the case and go to jail for 5 years?
Guest 8 May 2015, 07:28
+0 -2
east or west DSK is the BEST!!!!! Well done
Seema Sapra 8 May 2015, 07:57
+3 -0
Kian - this article should have mentioned the key witness Ravindra Patil, a strapping young man reduced to bones and who died a dog's death within five years. His story is mysterious to say the least. His death might also be Salman Khan's keep out of jail card as he died before cross-examination.