Read 25 comments as:
Filter By
In an imaginary scenario, if I start preparing for UPSC and do qualify and get into the IAS/ IFS/IPS cohort, Should I take up civil services or a tier 1 corp job.

Pls solely compare on the basis of pay, prestige, opportunities in the corp world, networks, culture, intellectual stimulation, family life etc and overall in the imaginary scenario, what would you opt for?

[Do not talk about interest in the work/ field itself, I have made up my mind on that, and will not be sharing it, I want to consider the other factors, and if they can persuade a change of choice]
I know someone whose family is worth hundreds of crores and from a very elite educational/professional background, had top grades at a tier-1 NLU who opted for the civil service.
IAS and IPS is very different from IFS. They shouldn't even be the same exam.

Someone honest enough to serve with IAS or IPS is looking at at least two decades of service in villages before getting a city posting. Some of those interior villages will be extremely depressing for folks who have lived in the cities. That causes the urge to game the system and move towards more urban postings.

IFS is so different from these rural postings. I don't understand how someone who gives this exam aspiring to learn foreign languages are represent India abroad suddenly agrees to live in BIMARU states for decades just because they couldn't score well(enough) in the exams.

Also there are so many IRS and IPS who attempt again(without relinquishing their postings). What a joke!

To answer the question, I*S is much better in terms of every criteria. Money made in top tier firms will mean nothing in comparison to the influence one will have in services.
IAS in terms of prestige. You head a district and the heads of all the department are at a call's away. Once you get to the state's capital, the elite want to hobnob with you and you are a VVIP at every function you go to. People look up to you and even ministers are circumspect while dealing with them.

IAS and IPS officers have unprecedented craze. Lawyers basically add no value to the society and are easily dispensable. An IAS officer on the other hand is a game changer.
Despite the fact that they haven't changed the game much in over 70 years and keep playing it the way it is.
how is an DM a game changer? they just frame random policies that are copied yoy and take a cut from all bribes paid for approvals in the district. If they try to "game change" they are transferred out on the very first day.

Also next time you are arrested without charge on UAPA, please tell your lawyer that they are dispensable
I am very suited to answer it.

I prepared for UPSC for 2 years, and then dropped it to join a job in a Tier 1 Law Firm - due to some unavoidable reasons why I could not continue preparing.

Anyday, life of a civil servant is 100x better than an associate or even a partner in a law firm.

The job you do at a law firm is meaning less, full of stress, and compromises on your health.

People say govt job pays you less. I am earning 16LPA as a A0, but am able to save only 5-6 LPA. If I were in civil services I would be getting around 9-10LPA and would be saving more because all expenditure would be taken care off.

If you can please give UPSC a try!
Why only 2 years spend your whole life prepping bud. It’s a meaningless vicious circle most people get into. A couple of bites at the cherry is fine but anything more is a waste of time and one should get on with firm or whatever job they prefer
Sir are u from NLU? How can non nlu students with no internship get job at T-1?
ask the same question to yourself. Why will a T1 hire you? What are you bringing to the table? T1s hire toppers from top NLUs who have done multiple internships. Getting a T1 job from a non-NLU isn't impossible but if you have not done internships then it's impossible.
You should take the job BUT there is a caveat.

Is it even worth it? Sacrificing one of the most healthy years of your life on an exam that you barely have a shot at cracking? Kudos to you if you manage to do so, but a law firm job would be much safer and atleast it makes you settled in life.
Bahahaha.. the naivety of this brat. Comparing the top most government job that is limitless in categories of pay, power and influence, to a law firm that would make you nothing more than a slave. It's like asking what's better, be a master or a slave. Lol
Which government job is limitless with regard to pay? Are you including bribes within the perks too?
All of them. Whether you choose to do it or not is upto your morals and ethics. However, the opportunity is always there. Which would never even exist for a law firm.
I would rather slave for an educated person who with years of experience than some class 8th fail MLA. IAS officers are not masters. They do whatever the ruling party instructs them to do. In terms of money, I would prefer to earn money honestly than take bribes!
IFS and IRS say Hello ! Both the services have nothing to do with MLAs or state politics. Sure they have to deal with MPs and departmental politics. However it's still a level up in terms of petty state politics.
A 12-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 2-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.