Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
How to make a career change from a Mumbai based Litigation chamber (Civil/Commercial) to a law firm (Tier 1/2)?

Currently getting around 60 K, has 3 years of experience. Not from an NLU/ have a stellar CV. Willing to join as a fresher, if it's possible.
Why would you be willing to join as fresher in a law firm after 3 years work ex and stellar cv?
If you don’t mind, may I ask why you want to make this switch?

Reason for my asking is usually people try and follow the exact opposite path (chamber after a few years at a law firm)
I am OP here.

I am pretty content. Senior is even allowing me to take up my personal cases using the friendship I made with his clients. But going independent will take atleast 3 to 5 years.

That was a typing issue - what I told is that I don't have a stellar CV which would help me get into a corporate firm. And more than that, I am from a non-NLU and has never got the opportunity to take an Assessment internship or sit for campus placements. But always liked the idea of working in a corporate law firm.

I feel I deserve better; and that my experience in commercial matters (3 + years) will help me be a better fresher associates than someone fresh out of Law School.

If there is someone who has shifted from a commercial/civil law chamber practice, I wanted to know thier experience.

Is it possible to do this shift? How did it work out for you/someone else? Is it too late?
Ask one of your briefing solicitor firms to put you in touch with partners at tier 1/2. If the briefing sols like you and think you worth a recommendation, they will definitely do so. Rest is up to you - sensible responses at the interview about knowledge of court craft and preparing briefs should be enough to get you in at a tier 2. I am assuming you'd be able to take the partner through the high court rules, cpc etc without any difficulty. Just FYI - you may not get more than 70-90k a month at a tier 2 litigation team
Hey, thanks. I want to move away from Litigation to Corporate, a full blown career shift. Don't want to be on the disputes team of any firm.

What I meant is, is it possible to start my career as a fresher associate at a T1/2?
Use your applying to many places and not crowdsourcing wisdom of its likelihood
do law firms hire from a chamber or they just hire from Law firms ?
how one should expect to go to a law firm after chamber ? is it worth going or one should stay ? litigation is tough in terms of money !
Very difficult. Try at lower tier firms who are desperately looking out. Learn the work and then decide the course of action
Litigation is not the ball game you would want to enter into if you are not from a legal background, after toiling for 3 -4 years in litigation you will gasp for money and if you have dependents on you then it will be a nightmare. Litigation in Delhi is a feudal system now only run by legal families. Every well known advocate is related to someone big in the legal industry. After facing this for 3 years and having worked at some of the best chambers in the country I shifted to corporate. Now I am content with what I am earning and future looks predictable and certain. Plans can be made looking at a similar trajectory which wasn't possible in litigation ever. If not well connected you might go upto 12 LPA after 6-8 years of practice which seems minuscule in corporate after 4-5 years of experience.
@NCRLitDays - can u tell me which chambers u worked because I have offer from a renowned chamber too. Confused if I should take it or not