Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
@NCRLitDays - can u tell me which chambers u worked because I have offer from a renowned chamber too. Confused if I should take it or not
Litigation is not the ball game you would want to enter into if you are not from a legal background, after toiling for 3 -4 years in litigation you will gasp for money and if you have dependents on you then it will be a nightmare. Litigation in Delhi is a feudal system now only run by legal families. Every well known advocate is related to someone big in the legal industry. After facing this for 3 years and having worked at some of the best chambers in the country I shifted to corporate. Now I am content with what I am earning and future looks predictable and certain. Plans can be made looking at a similar trajectory which wasn't possible in litigation ever. If not well connected you might go upto 12 LPA after 6-8 years of practice which seems minuscule in corporate after 4-5 years of experience.
Very difficult. Try at lower tier firms who are desperately looking out. Learn the work and then decide the course of action
do law firms hire from a chamber or they just hire from Law firms ?
how one should expect to go to a law firm after chamber ? is it worth going or one should stay ? litigation is tough in terms of money !
Use your applying to many places and not crowdsourcing wisdom of its likelihood
Hey, thanks. I want to move away from Litigation to Corporate, a full blown career shift. Don't want to be on the disputes team of any firm.

What I meant is, is it possible to start my career as a fresher associate at a T1/2?
Ask one of your briefing solicitor firms to put you in touch with partners at tier 1/2. If the briefing sols like you and think you worth a recommendation, they will definitely do so. Rest is up to you - sensible responses at the interview about knowledge of court craft and preparing briefs should be enough to get you in at a tier 2. I am assuming you'd be able to take the partner through the high court rules, cpc etc without any difficulty. Just FYI - you may not get more than 70-90k a month at a tier 2 litigation team
I am OP here.

I am pretty content. Senior is even allowing me to take up my personal cases using the friendship I made with his clients. But going independent will take atleast 3 to 5 years.

That was a typing issue - what I told is that I don't have a stellar CV which would help me get into a corporate firm. And more than that, I am from a non-NLU and has never got the opportunity to take an Assessment internship or sit for campus placements. But always liked the idea of working in a corporate law firm.

I feel I deserve better; and that my experience in commercial matters (3 + years) will help me be a better fresher associates than someone fresh out of Law School.

If there is someone who has shifted from a commercial/civil law chamber practice, I wanted to know thier experience.

Is it possible to do this shift? How did it work out for you/someone else? Is it too late?
If you don’t mind, may I ask why you want to make this switch?

Reason for my asking is usually people try and follow the exact opposite path (chamber after a few years at a law firm)
Why would you be willing to join as fresher in a law firm after 3 years work ex and stellar cv?
How to make a career change from a Mumbai based Litigation chamber (Civil/Commercial) to a law firm (Tier 1/2)?

Currently getting around 60 K, has 3 years of experience. Not from an NLU/ have a stellar CV. Willing to join as a fresher, if it's possible.