•  •  Dark Mode

Your Interests & Preferences

I am a...

law firm lawyer
in-house company lawyer
litigation lawyer
law student
aspiring student
other

Website Look & Feel

 •  •  Dark Mode
Blog Layout

Save preferences

RamJet voted ‘most badass lawyer’ on US site, ahead of Gandhi, Ambedkar, Jinnah

RamJet: Like Samuel L Jackson - with a law degree
RamJet: Like Samuel L Jackson - with a law degree
Silicon Valley-based Q&A site Quora, which is popular in the California tech community that includes many Indians, non-resident or otherwise, has voted Ram Jethmalani as the world’s “most badass lawyer”.

Jethmalani, whose name was suggested by physicist and University of Mumbai MSc student Niranjan Sankaran, leads the poll on the site with 158 votes as of going to press:

Ram Jethmalani (smuggler’s lawyer):- Is most controversial highest paid lawyer in India.

Some of his high profile controversial cases are

”I  charge high fees, but 90% of my practice is free. But from the remaining 10%, who are rich, why shouldn’t I make money?” Ram Jethmalani

Jethmalani leads in the “badass” stakes - an American slang term denoting respect - over a number of US lawyers on the community-driven site such as:

Judith Clarke [102 votes] - She's the greatest lawyer you've never heard of . . . but I'm willing to bet you've heard of her clients.  She is -- in my opinion -- proof that there are amazingly brilliant and ethical lawyers practicing law without regard for personal gain or agrandizement.  She doesn't fight to "get her clients off", she accepts their guilt by and large, she merely dedicates herself to preventing her clients from seeing the electric chair.  She works mostly pro bono.  She is brilliant to the point where she could make millions, but lives on a tiny salary, any extra money she earns she dedicates to various charities and to the indigent. 
She's so completely hated in some states for her skill and technique, that some states have even passed laws preventing "out of state lawers" from defending criminals in their state . . . all because of her. Her client list is the "who's who" in notorious criminals in the past several decades.”

Other Indian lawyers on the list include BR ‘Father of the Indian constitution’ Ambedkar (31 votes with an honourable mention for Indira Jaisingh, suggested by IIT Bombay alum Sai Kulkarni). Also getting a nod with 21 votes is Indian-born Preetinder Singh “Preet” Bharara – the “US Attorney for the Southern District of New York known for busting Wall street insider trading activities”.

Nine votes went to “I'm surprised that no one mentioned Nanabhoy ‘Nani’ Palkhiwala (Nanabhoy Palkhivala). The man can veritably be credited with saving the Indian Constitution several times. As mentioned in the wiki article, he was not just a lawyer but also a jurist and an economist. He was probably the most broadminded and forward Indian advocate.” (suggested by self-styled “amateur mathematician” Jaidev Deshpande).

Also getting many upvotes: Mahatma Gandhi (36 votes, suggested by “cultural designer” Brian Fey, who found “the movie inspiring”) and “Pakistan's Quiad-i-Azam” Muhammad Ali Jinnah (24 votes).

[more on Quora, requiring free sign-up to read all answers, via LegalCheek]

Who do you think is India’s “most badass” (in a good way)? Please leave comments below.

Click to show 12 comments
at your own risk
(alt+c)
By reading the comments you agree that they are the (often anonymous) personal views and opinions of readers, which may be biased and unreliable, and for which Legally India therefore has no liability. If you believe a comment is inappropriate, please click 'Report to LI' below the comment and we will review it as soon as practicable.

Latest comments