If you have a legal issue or need to find a lawyer to help you, you should try out Legally India's Legally Direct service.

Legally Direct acts as a marketplace for legal services, allowing you to tap into a pool of thousands of practising lawyers near you.
You pick the lawyer who offers the best service and price, and work directly with them. And it's free to use - you only pay the lawyer their fees once they have finished the work (or whatever you agree).

Click here to try it, no risk
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss any directly law-related issues here, ranging from Company's Act to family law. Perhaps someone can help or has some interesting views. Beware, however, nothing in these forums should be taken as legal advice so consult your own lawyer before acting on this advice.
  • Page:
Share this: Facebook Twitter Google Email

is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels?

is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 4 months ago #1

• Anonymous
  0Log in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
very recently a friend of mine ran into some trouble as he was staying in a hotel with his girl friend.both are adults and 25 years of age.i wish some one will help me with this.i want to know whether it is illegal for unmarried couples to stay in hotels? is there any court verdict about this.please do help me....

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 4 months ago #2

• UJ
  0Log in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
I don't think so.
But I think the police knows that the couples don't want their parents to find out and thus extort money from them.

Personally,
As long as they aren't carrying bombs etc. and are paying the hotel rent, it's fine.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 4 months ago #3

• adoksh
  • Legally Experienced
+1
commended by kianganzLog in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
Constitutionally we have a Freedom to reside and settle in any part of the territory of India and a hotel room does fall under the purview of the article. So, legally you can have no trouble whatsoever. Lawfully expounded, the UNDHR, ICCPR and several conventions provide u with the right to free movement and being unmarried is not a reasonable restriction.

Now coming to the practical application of this, the onus is just to make sure the hotel is not a shady one and the area is fine :P You cannot be stopped from spending a night together at a hotel room regardless of your marital status.
The following user(s) commended this: kianganz

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 4 months ago #4

• ^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you an avid MUN-er by any chance?

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 4 months ago #5

• adoksh
  • Legally Experienced
avid debater and mooter.
Munner since much recently.
Why?

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 3 months ago #6

In 2001, the Allahabad High Court held that a major man and woman can stay together without getting married if they want and this is not illegal. (Payal Sharma v. Superintendent, Nari Niketan, Agra)

In S. Khushboo v. Kanniammal , the Supreme Court, placing reliance upon its earlier decision in Lata Singh v. State of U.P. , held that live-in-relationship is permissible only in unmarried major persons of heterogeneous sex, and it is not a criminal offence under any law.

In short it is not a legal wrong if you can prove that the couple are consenting adult and not coming under the ambit of the The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956.

However it is wiser to do what the policemen suggests unless you are a rebel and want a huge publicity.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 3 years 3 months ago #7

well.......the cases are v aptly sited........ Allahabad HC ..has held that it is not illegal but immoral. Law often takes that course which the society greatly admires. So the social aspect of this kind of rendezvous has to be kept in mind. Plz mind it that .though it has been held by the courts to be not illegal..do not understand it mistakenly as a pat on the back or encouragement.

regards.
Adv. K N Bhattacharyya.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 6 months ago #8

• Anonymous
I have one doubt. If suppose, I am in a hotel with my Girlfriend, police came and say to arrest us, then legally hw we can deal with police??

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 6 months ago #9

• Juneja Legal
Not illegal at all, but the morality is equally respected in our country. So just make sure that you do not become victim of moral police. Verify that the girl with you is major in age and is carrying her identity card with herself and some age proof. more over she should not be afraid to let the officer talk to her parents or guardians in case you guys are dependent. because if you show some kind of hesitation to let the officer talk to your parents or guardians and they find that you are hiding something its more possible that you are targeted.

So go ahead and be sure that you don't do any thing illegal.. morality depends on societies perception and will change with times..

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 6 months ago #10

• Anonymous
what do u mean by major in age??

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 3 months ago #11

• Piyush Events
Legally, its not an offence to have pre marital sex or even live in relationship in India but as some of my friends told earlier, no such person want to disclose or share the same with his/ her parents; as far as police inquiry is concerned they can even take you from your home too, they had the right for that but for inquiry only, but as we all know how police does that thing that's y no one wants to take the risk & there there the policemen can take advantage of benefit of doubt.
Frankly speaking if u ever get caught in such situation don't be afraid try to be confident coz legally u r not wrong, its not at all an offence.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 3 months ago #12

• Anonymous
Legally, their is no illegality if a boy and a girl stay in some hotel with the existence of consent among themselves. No section of ipc is attracted unless they do somethingw violent and prohibited by law. If they stay with mutual consent and are major in age 376/362/363 are not attracted.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 3 months ago #13

• Anonymous
boy above 18 and girl being crossed the age limits of 21 years

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 2 months ago #14

• moocho moolo
Someone mentioned that you have to prove something under the The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956. Let me correct this; YOU have to prove NOTHING. The onus of proof is on the police or whatever other agency is alleging that you're in violation of this act. Presumed innocent is a doctrine that shouldn't be forgotten.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 2 months ago #15

• chetu
Anonymous wrote:
I have one doubt. If suppose, I am in a hotel with my Girlfriend, police came and say to arrest us, then legally hw we can deal with police??

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 2 months ago #16

• kidu
sir..i just want to know..if a boy and girl (both completed 21 yrs age)........is being held y the particular law enforcement agency....How can they .i mean by which all IPC provision tat they can prove tat they can stay together as per their wish
i need references to the IPC sections tat allow a girl and boy to be together wherever they want like in a hotel or in a flat ,etc
just mention the the law (sections of IPC) y which they can prove so../

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 2 months ago #17

• moocho moolo
Our criminal justice system does not work on a negative list basis. Meaning - the IPC and other legal statutes do tell you what is "legal", they tell you what is "illegal". There are no enabling provisions in the IPC which you can rely on to say "I am doing this because it is permitted by the IPC". Everything is legal unless forbidden by law. So, unless a police official can show that what you are doing falls within the scope of actions forbidden by statute, whatever you are doing is perfectly legal.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 2 months ago #18

• legalpuma
@Legaltiger: U cite the judgments and all the spiel and then advise do not mess with the police unless ur a rebel. Are u serious? why don't you go through these judgments first. Its attitude like this that gives the police the balls to behave the way they do.

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 2 years 3 weeks ago #19

• Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
very recently a friend of mine ran into some trouble as he was staying in a hotel with his girl friend.both are adults and 25 years of age.i wish some one will help me with this.i want to know whether it is illegal for unmarried couples to stay in hotels? is there any court verdict about this.please do help me....

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 5 months ago #20

• K.D
What if two people think that it's morally right for them? I mean, Moral is a 'PERSONAL" thing so it can't be generalized. So, If I think Its okay to have safe sex with my girlfriend just because I think Sex is the basic need... I mean Even Abraham Maslow had put 'sex' as the basic need along with water,shelter and air. SO, to satisfy my basic need is not an immoral act right? And anyways, About culture I would say, you wont find nude carvings and paintings as old as India have in Khajuraho and Ellora caves. Kamasutra is given to world by India like "0(ZERO)".... so, thats all cool na sir? With knowledge you can know differentiate between Whats actually Indian culture and Whats actually a Propaganda.
And yea.. I had Sex with my Girlfriend many times in hotel, so just in case as an advice....Spend bit more in hotel rather than giving it to corrupt govt.as a bribe. Choose a good one and have Fun!

is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 4 months ago #21

• rajanons
  • Legally New
+1
commended by kianganzLog in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
It is not illegal for two unrelated majors to stay in one hotel room. Right to movement is constitutional. But no hotel in Hyderabad allows this.

I know a hotel which doesn't have any problem in renting a room to such love birds.

It is a decent hotel in center of city. There is no risk of police checking etc. The room cost will be Rs 1600 starting.

Mail me at: rajanons @ gmail. com (without spaces) if interested. Drop your phone number in the mail and I will contact you. Or click reply to this ad' on right side. No other mode of communication.
The following user(s) commended this: kianganz

is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 4 months ago #22

• pppprreee
is it legal for a boy of 20 and a girl of 18 to stay together in hotels without marrage

is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 4 months ago #23

• LI ed
  • kianganz
  • Administrator
  • NOW ONLINE
Hi - unless you're drinking and the legal drinking age in the state is 21, the above laws and advice applies. You may have difficulties in some hotels and areas, but the law should be on your side.
--
Kian Ganz, Publishing editor, LegallyIndia.com

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 3 months ago #24

• Anonymous
Can you name few good hotels in Delhi? :) ;)

Re: is it illegal for unmarried couples to stay together in hotels? 1 year 3 months ago #25

• sammer
today i was in place which was just like a forest,and suddendly cop came and caught me and she both,we were just talk with each other by maintaining a gap between us. but according to cop we was making fun...
is this was unillegal???
  • Page:

Latest comments