Your Interests & Preferences
There's a lot happening on Legally India, so we want to ensure we show you what is most appropriate.
Please take 10 seconds of your day to tell us what you do NOT like to read about.
Click on each box to de-select, and we'll not show you those types of stories anymore (subject to the 'Always Show Me' option below).
Click to deselect stories you are NOT interested in (to HIDE such stories from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides category)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
An Andhra Pradesh law student was arrested under the IT Act, presumably section 66A, and the IPC, for allegedly posting a comment on Facebook in English and Telugu that stated “I love u hudhoodh”, referring to the destructive cyclone and noting that it was taking revenge against “betrayers”, reported The Hindu, with NDTV translating it as: "I love you hudhud for nature having selectively punished those who cheated - feeling God is there".
A CID press release said that he “posted irresponsible anti-people comments in the Facebook after the natural disaster Hududh”. The student is reportedly a member of the YSR Congress Party, which is in opposition in AP
Fixed fee bids submitted by law firms to win work to document clients’ non-convertible debentures (NCDs) are now only Rs 2-3 lakh per NCD, instead Rs 4-5 lakh that law firms would have charged at the beginning of this year, reported the Economic Times citing a “mid-sized law firm” promoter, as in-house departments were increasingly able to handle part of such deals in-house and competition amongst law firms increased.
Another law firm partner told the ET that it billed around Rs 3 crore on NCDs annually.
A Bangalore employee of Infosys has been arrested under section 377 of the Indian Penal Code for allegedly having sex with another man, which was recorded by his arranged-marriage-wife of six months on a hidden camera, reported the Bangalore Mirror.
The Supreme Court reinstated the colonial-era section 377 provision earlier this year after the Delhi high court had struck down the law, which bans “carnal intercourse against the order of nature” and has been used by police to harass the gay community.
2 days ago
Penningtons Manches partner and India co-head Saionton Basu has joined US firm Duane Morris’ London corporate practice, according to a press release from the firm.
Basu was not reachable for comment.
Penningtons’ India co-head Teja Picton-Howell did not comment at the time of going to press.
2 days ago
In an interview to UK legal magazine Legal Week, headlined as “Amarchand sizes up options for first international base as India's unlevel playing field continues to frustrate”, Amarchand Mangaldas Delhi managing partner Shardul Shroff said that the firm was thinking about opening an office abroad.
He told Legal Week:
“Singapore [is the strongest contender] because its links with India are quite strong… Singapore enables clients to service the whole of the ASEAN market… But it could be Hong Kong, London, Dubai or New York – it depends on what 2016 looks like. It also depends where clients need us…
“It would have to be an office of significance, not just a representative office where you receive the mail… We want to do it properly. We also don't want to disturb our international relationships with global law firms – we want to preserve these. But equally we want to provide Indian expertise that is relevant to the international market. We want to be present in markets where the local Indian situation becomes relevant; approaching the clients on their doorstep rather than expecting them to come to India…
“There are firms that have gone to China or Singapore but their offices are small and not significant enough to make a statement on behalf of Indian lawyers.”
Full article behind paywall at Legal Week [with free 2 week trial sign-up]
Calls for papers
- 10 March 2015: Indian Journal of International Economic Law/ Call for submission...
- The Indian Journal of International Economic Law is now accepting submissions for its upcoming issue – Volume 7. About the Journal: The Indian Journal of...
- 3 days 55 minutes ago
- November 30, 2014: Christ University Law Journal
- The Journal and Publication Society at School of Law, Christ University invites submissions for the 6th issue (Vol.4, No.1) of the Christ University Law Journal (January...
- 1 week 6 days ago
- 20th October 2014: RGNUL Student Law Review
- This post was originally published on August 4, 2014. It has been updated with respect to submission deadlines. The RGNUL Student Law Review (hereinafter “Law...
- 3 weeks 1 day ago
- 20th October 2014: Students' International Conference on Environmental Problems ...
- University School of Law and Legal Studies, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi invites you to the maiden Students International Conference on...
- 3 weeks 1 day ago
- 10 November 2014: CNLU Law Journal (Vol. 5)
- With great delight and enthusiasm, we bring to you, CNLU Law Journal, a literary endeavour of the Chanakya National Law University, Patna. It seeks to provide a forum for...
- 3 weeks 2 days ago
- 4 November 2014: OIDA International Journal of Sustainable Development / Interna...
- dear sir ,please find this article
- 4 weeks 1 day ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- 14-16 November, 2014: 1st IIT Law School National Moot Court Competition
- The deadline for electronic registration, as per the Rules (attached), has been extended to November 7, 2014. The deadline for recepit of Hard Copies of registration...
- 15 hours 39 minutes ago
- 30 & 31 January 2015: National Seminar on Law, Science & Technology: The...
- Institute of Law, Nirma University are organising its 4th National Seminar on Law, Science & Technology: The Way Forward during 30-31 January, 2015 at Ahmedabad. With a...
- 3 weeks 5 hours ago
- 20th-22nd February, 2015: Amity National Moot Court Competition, 2015
- Amity Law School, Delhi (Affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University) is organising its 14th Amity Moot Court Competition 2015 (AMCC). The College has been...
- 3 weeks 1 day ago
- 08 October 2014- Itmu law school Legal Quiz competition
- Dear All, ITMU Law School organizes 2nd Edition of Legal Quiz Competition as part of it's Cultural & Technical Fest 'Momentum 14' on 8th Oct, 2014. We invite everyone to...
- 3 weeks 2 days ago
Talk about lawyering
- Jindal Law School vs. Symbiosis Law School
- see the thread, the recent comment
- 19 hours 4 minutes ago
- ILS Pune expected cut off
- i have got 84% . should i apply to ils ?
- 1 day 7 hours ago
- Law Related to Fee Structure Decisions of Engineering and MedicalColleges
- Hello. I am a student of BSL 3rd Year, I am surprisedthat Engineering and Medical Colleges are charging fees in Lacs. I wonder hardly any parent is able to give...
- 2 days 18 hours ago
- cheque bounce case
- Quote: You can sue the guy under the negotiable instruments act, as cheque bouncing for whatever reason is a criminal offense under the Negotiable Instruments Act. You can start...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- 1. Do not quit without another job in hand - Your market-value takes a nose dive when you start looking without a job. 2. Do not resign abruptly, if possible. Offer to...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- Internship Certificate Template.
- 1 week 1 day ago
- Check bounce and Fraud
- Hello all, Hoping to get some help here. I have been running around for almost a year now to get some help on this. Here is the story : I paid a huge amount ( about 15...
- 2 hours 5 minutes ago
- Query on partition suit
- Hi, I have a family of 7members. 3 sisters (all married)and we are two brother with our parents. My grandfather died without leaving any will. My father is the only son...
- 1 day 23 hours ago
- Transfer of house title - Settlement Deed
- Thank you for your wonderful service. I have a quick question. I am a US Citizen, living in US. My parents bought a flat in India using their own funds, and they...
- 2 days 17 hours ago
- Injunction Against Properity
- With respect to you all and the subject i would like to know in which way and manner i can put Injunction against my father’s property. I regret to inform he is not...
- 3 days 2 hours ago
- Can ancestral property be sold without consent of successors ?
- LANDDOCUMENTSAREINMYGRANDFATHERSNAME HEHASTWOSONS THEY ARE NOT TAKEN FAMILYDIVIFAMILYDIVISINDEED SO HOWCANWEGHOW CAN WE GET THESE ANCESTRAL PROPERTY IN GOVT RECORDS
- 3 days 21 hours ago
- Help regarding harassment through unwanted telephone calls.
- I need to complain about the calls from my ex - boyfriend but does not want that my parents will came to know about it. What steps can I take. Pls help.
- 5 days 16 hours ago
22 October 2014
J Sagar Associates (JSA) advised German shipping and logistics provider Dachser in acquiring 50 per cent shares of Dachser India from its local joint venture partner the AFL Group which was advised by AZB & Partners.
JSA Bombay M&A partner Sandeep Mehta, senior associate Arup Pereira and associates Punita Gupta and Adil Ladha acted for Dachser. AZB Mumbai partner Abhijit Joshi, senior associate Anand Shah and associate Navroz Vakil acted for the AFL Group.
This deal was part of a larger transaction by which Dascher acquired AFL's stake in a separate JV in Thailand and majority stake in another venture in Bangladesh, according to VC Circle.
22 October 2014
All central ministries and departments will mandatorily upload on their website their replies to Right to Information (RTI) requests from 31 October, to comply with yesterday’s directive issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DPT), reported the Economic Times and others.
Currently the government replies to individual RTI applicants by post, either providing them the requested information in paper or in electronic form, or asking the applicant to inspect relevant documents at the government department’s premises, or rejecting the request.
Applicants often publish their RTI replies anonymously through various media channels, after redacting their own particulars. When the DPT’s directive is implemented, the particulars of the applicants may also be disclosed transparently on the ministry or departments’ websites.
@bhanupriyarao: Here is the circular http://t.co/0eca5k6ENt Worth writing to DoPT + NIC contacts given there
Last year the UPA government launched an online portal to file RTIs with 82 ministries and departments.
21 October 2014
The Kerala bar council is discussing plans to ban all lawyers from talking to the media about their own cases under the anti-advertising rule 36 of the Bar Council of India (BCI) Rules, which could be implemented after a meeting soon, reported the Deccan Chronicle.
The rule states that advocates must not solicit or advertise, and “not promote himself by circulars, advertisements, touts, personal communications, interviews other than through personal relations, furnishing or inspiring newspaper comments or producing his photographs to be published in connection with cases in which he has been engaged or concerned”.
Proceedings in the Kerala high court are currently ongoing to ban open court reporting by media, while former Chief Justice of India (CJI) and current Kearala governor P Sathasivam said last week that if journalists always read judgments first, there shouldn’t be any reason to ban court reporting.
Phoenix Mills general manager legal Sudarshan KC has joined consumer foods giant Britannia Industries as its head legal in Bangalore earlier this month.
Before joining Phoenix Mills in 2012 was deputy general manager legal at the UB Group, GM-legal at Kingfisher Airlines, and an independent practitioner between 1994 and 2007.
A Bangalore-based businessman was arrested and jailed by police for 21 days in April under section 66A of the IT Act for “spreading canards” about another on online forums, reported The Hindu (via Pranesh Prakash).
The businessman has filed a complaint with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and demanded a police inquiry that his arrest was in direct contravention of the Supreme Court guidelines that detentions under Section 66A for sending offensive messages over the internet require permission from a high-ranking police officer (inspector general in cities, or, in districts, deputy commissioners or superintendents).
The All India Bar Association (AIBA) has has requested the Supreme Court’s secretary general to issue contempt proceedings against Tamil TV news channel, Thanthi, for apparently having broadcast live the arguments of Fali Nariman successfully arguing for J Jayalalithaa’s bail in the Supreme Court, reported the Business Standard.
AIBA chairman Adish C Aggarwala said: “It is inappropriate and contemptuous to record and telecast court proceedings. The telecast of Fali Nariman’s arguments in Jayalalithaa bail matter in the Supreme Court by Thanthi Television on October 18 is contemptuous and the Supreme Court of India should take stern action of contempt of court against all concerned who are responsible for its recording and telecast.”
20 October 2014
Amarchand Mangaldas together with Japanese firm Anderson Mori & Tomotsune advised Sumitomo Corporation Japan, with Amarchand also advising SMAS Auto Leasing India on acquiring the auto leasing business of New Delhi-based Carzonrent, which was advised by Kochhar & Co. The acquisition was for Rs 200 crore, as reported by the Times of India.
Amarchand Delhi partner Puja Sondhi, principal associate Ramanuj Gopalan, senior associate Sushrut Biswal and associate Vasudha Sharma acted for Sumitomo and SMAS. Kochhar Delhi partner Niti Paul, senior associate Maureen Z Ralte and associate Akshit Kapoor acted for Carzonrent. [Correction: The first published story had the wrong first name for Kapoor. The error is regretted.]
SMAS, a Japanese automobile joint venture, enters the Indian market through this deal, reported Mint.
- Advocate writs DU over 'arbitrary' admissions via interviews
- Sathasivam guide to journalism: No reason to 'prevent' media from court reporting (if journos always read judgments first)
- RamJet blasts gov't, Rohatgi for invoking treaty confidentiality to keep alleged black money stashers secret
- DLF files with SAT to appeal SEBI cap markets ban
- Delhi prosecutors challenge their 'peanuts' salary & harrowing work-life balance before Delhi HC
- Nayar Agrawal LC question constitutional validity of ACB police powers in Murli Deora challenge to Kejriwal graft FIR
- Find clients & cases
- i want to sue my university for illegal things. (MANIPAL)
- I met with a Road accident, wanted to file case (Bangalore)
- How to file complaint against a lawyer who stole my money? (delhi)
- Need tenant evicted who has stayed in house for 30 years but now has moved out (howrah)
- 1.5 crore family inheritance property dispute (patna (live) / Kerala)