Your Interests & Preferences: Please help us personalise your reading
Deselect types of stories you are NOT interested in (will be HIDDEN from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides the above)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
12 hours ago
Dua Associates managing partner Ranji Dua has confirmed that senior disputes partner Shiraz Patodia and her team would remain at the firm, less than a month after she had given notice to join Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas (SAM) in Delhi, as first reported by Legally India on 1 July.
Suzlon Energy senior legal counsel Naved Askari, who was heading the company’s corporate and operations legal team, is to join AZB & Partners as a Mumbai-based counsel, reported Bar & Bench.
The 1998 GLC Mumbia graduate has previously worked at Mulla & Mulla, Wadia Ghandy, and Wockhardt, before joining Suzlon in 2009.
In a week that’s seen a raft of companies hitting the markets, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Bangalore partner Arjun Lall has scooped the mandate advising Cafe Coffee Day on its Rs 1,150 crore initial public offering (IPO), with AZB & Partners and Baker & McKenzie acting for the banks.
AZB Delhi partner Madhurima Mukherjee with senior associate Agnik Bhattacharyya and associate Namita Das acted for the global book running lead managers Kotak Mahindra Capital, Citigroup Global Markets and Morgan Stanley.
BakerMacs’ India head Ashok Lalwani handled the international elements of the deal.
Pradeep Kumar Bagga, who has been with the State Bank of India for more than 30 years, has joined Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas in Delhi as a senior consultant, according to a press release from the firm to “provide advice and guidance on general policy and regulations” and assist in “practice area development initiatives”, according to a press release from the firm.
PTI reported that a Himachal Pradesh judge has alleged that she was sexually harassed by another judge during a national-level conference on drug abuse in Manali. The high court’s chief justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir has ordered an inquiry:
As per the complaint of the woman judge, she was asked to come to Manali in advance for making preparations for the conference being attended by Judges of Supreme Court and High Courts.
On June 8, the accused tried to pressurise the woman judge to accompany him to a resort and allegedly misbehaved with her.
A Madhya Pradesh district court judge had made a complaint last year, which resulted in the Supreme Court setting out new guidelines about how to investigate harassment in the judiciary.
2 days ago
CLAT cases: Raj HC reserves 1 other student’s seat at “Bangalore Law College” / NLSIU for petitioner? Bombay adjourns for sick judge [READ ORDER]
The Rajasthan high courts Jaipur bench on Tuesday (30 June) ordered the last student admitted to NLSIU Bangalore, or Bangalore Law College as the high court order put it, to be reserved subject to the result of the writ petition before it, as the Bombay high court CLAT challenge was postponed to 7 July.
2 days ago
A student from Jindal Global Law School (JGLS) Sonepat, who has requested anonymity, has contacted Legally India with a request to publish an open letter with some criticism of the administration. We have published the letter in full and asked the administration for a response, which is below the letter.
HSB Partners Chennai partner Varun Sriram has joined J Sagar Associates (JSA) in Chennai, reported Bar & Bench.
Sriram had been at HSB since graduating from Symbiosis Law School in 2006, followed by two two-year stints at Economic Laws Practice (ELP) and ALMT Legal before returning to HSB in 2012, becoming partner there in February 2014.
We have reached out to JSA, HSB and Sriram for comment.
Update: HSB partner TK Bhaskar commented: "We wish him all the best in his future endeavours."
Update 2: JSA managing partner Berjis Desai commented confirmed his joining as a retained partner.
3 days ago
Karnataka high court and Supreme Court advocate KV Dhananjay has commissioned a web developer to build a website that is intended to allow advocates to rate judges on three parameters - knowledge, integrity and cordiality.
3 days ago
PTI reported that:
The Bombay high court on July 1 deferred till July 13 an appeal filed by Bollywood superstar Salman Khan against the five-year sentence awarded to him in the hit-and-run case, after the actor’s lawyer sought time to check documents.
Although the ‘paper book’ (compilation of evidence and documents) is ready and copies have been served to both the sides by the court), Mr Khan’s counsel Amit Desai urged for three weeks’ adjournment to check whether the documents were in order.
Desai said he needed to check if translation of documents into English was required and whether nay were missing.
Justice AR Joshi granted only two weeks of adjournment until 13 July, to which chief public prosecutor SS Shinde consented.
3 days ago
Dua Associates senior Delhi litigation partner Shiraz Patodia, who had reportedly agreed to join Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas (SAM) earlier this month, may stay at Dua Associates after all, according to four authoritative sources.
4 days ago
As political protests were organised in Lucknow against the CLAT yesterday and the Rajasthan high court adjourned its hearing in the writ petition against the CLAT to today after the CLATs senior counsel did not appear, we take a look at where the litigation stands while the national law schools prepare to close the process in July.
In a partial breather for Nestle, the Bombay high court on Tuesday allowed the company’s Indian branch to export all varieties of its popular two-minute Maggi noodles.
The domestic restrictions, however, would continue to apply. The matter will now come up for further hearing on July 14.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas Mumbai partner Ameya Gokhale acted for Nestle with with senior counsel Iqbal Chagla.
Maggi was banned by the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on June 5 after several samples were found having lead and MSG contents beyond permissible limits.
Nestle India had challenged the ban on grounds that it was ‘unauthorised, arbitrary, unconstitutional for violating right to equality and trade’, and violative of principles of natural justice since the company was not given a proper hearing.
Madhya Pradesh district and sessions judge Jagdish Baheti has filed a petition before the Supreme Court over the Madhya Pradesh high court collegium’s decision to elevate his juniors but not him, due to a chargesheet against him alleging that he had granted defendants anticipatory bail on the basis of incorrect facts, reported the Indian Express’s Utkarsh Anand.
He has asked for the elevation process to be stayed until the close of the internal inquiry against him in the case that will be heard by Chief Justice of India (CJI) HL Dattu in July, Baheti had made the news in 2013 for concluding a rape trial in nine days, and had previously appealed before the Supreme Court the inquiry against him, which had told the high court to hear his plea where it was dismissed.
'Totally misquoted' on section 377: SCOTUS, social media 'mood' [DID NOT] nudge law minister Gowda to consider making gay sex legal [UPDATE-1]
DV Sadananda Gowda, commenting on the US Supreme Court’s national country-wide legalisation of gay marriage last week, said that the government could de-criminalise gay sex under section 377 of the Indian Penal Code and might even consider gay marriage as an option.
“The mood appears to be in favour of it. But it can be done only after widespread consultations and taking all views into account,” he told the Economic Times.
Update: Gowda has told ANI News that he was "totally misquoted": "When I was asked about the judgment that was given by the US court, I said that it is not an easy task in our country. So, the people of that country might have accepted it but here it has to be widely debated. Only then can something be done. Otherwise, it is not an easy task. So, we have no idea of scrapping or doing anything about [Section] 377."
Hat-tip: @mohitsingh8 and @sayantan_b on Twitter
4 days ago
Foreign firm entry proposal to be sent for NaMo sign-off in weeks, as proper talks begin with BCI, SILF
Commerce ministry Rajeev Kher held a press conference yesterday, saying that the government had begun talks about opening up the transactional legal services sector and India-based international arbitration, having drawn in law firm lobby group Society of Indian Law Firms (Silf) and the regulator Bar Council of India (BCI).
"Justice [Gyan Sudha] Misra, who although sat a little after the scheduled time, never compromised by rising just after half-an-hour. She was the last one to leave the court premises, be it the Supreme Court or High Court. There were absolutely no cause-lists that were not exhausted by her and no judgments that were not churned out by her,” wrote her daughter, advocate Unnati Misra, in a letter to attorney general Mukul Rohatgi, as reported by the Indian Express’s Utkarsh Anand.
She was referring to Rohatgi’s repeated attacks on now retired Supreme Court judge Justice Misra’s habit of coming late to court as a notable example of a bad appointment made by the collegium, in his argument for the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) before the Supreme Court, saying he had “run down the reputation of people who have given their sweat and blood to judicial institutions, all in the name of NJAC, are reflective of bias and based on superficiality”.
However, Unnati Misra said that her mother had been recommended for the Supreme Court in 1986 before the collegium system and she was approved by six chief justices and Chief Justices of India (CJIs) before her elevation to the apex court in 1998 as the fourth woman to ever do so. She also wrote that her Justice Misra had fought “personal battles” caring for her ill husband, who passed away shortly after her retirement.
In 2013, Justice Misra had hit back at a Times of India column arguing that judges were “ultimately human beings” and not “robots”, and that judges “cannot be expected to give an account of every single minute or else face derogatory publicity”.
26 June 2015
Luthra & Luthra is acting for fast-growing RBL Bank of 183 branches, formerly called Ratnakar Bank, which aims to raise Rs 1,100 crore ($173m) via initial public offering (IPO), with AZB & Partners and Dorsey & Whitney acting for the bankers, led by Kotak Mahindra Capital Company.
AZB Mumbai partner Varoon Chandra with senior associate Lionel D’Almeida acted for the lead managers. Dorsey Hong Kong partners John Chrisman and Kenneth Kwok advised on international laws.
Luthra & Luthra Mumbai partner Manan Lahoty acted for the issuers.
Khaitan & Co Mumbai associate partner Madhur Kohli was domestic counsel for two selling shareholders, Beacon and Gpe, that together sold 13 million shares according to the Business Standard.
Law Minister DV Sadananda Gowda has written a letter to the Delhi high court chief justice on 18 June after having received allegations of “corruption, favouritism and nepotism” in the long-controversial Delhi Judicial Services (DJS) exam, reported the Indian Express’ Utkarsh Anand.
As reported by Legally India on 5 May, only 15 out of 659 candidates or 2 per cent passed the exam this year.
Gowda noted that allegedly Delhi high court judges’ children were very successful in the exam - two out of the 15 who passed - while the majority of other candidates failed spectacularly, as the “the Department of Justice has received many grievances alleging corruption, favouritism and nepotism in the recently concluded Delhi Judicial Services Examination, 2014”.
A petition on change.org signed by 310 supporters and aggrieved students complained that the the DJS should recruit more than just 15 candidates, as it still had 570 vacancies remaining that were unfilled.
26 June 2015
As the Indian food safety regulator has just announced that it would finally draft new norms for maximum lead and other heavy-metal content in foods, Advocate Kunal Kishore explains why food regulation has been neglected for far too long.
26 June 2015
In the latest hearing on the CLAT 2015 case, the High Court of Bombay on 25 June asked the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) convenor to seek clarification from its expert committee on the objections raised by the petitioner regarding 7 questions in the UG exam. The court has refused to grant any interim relief, and the next date for hearing is set for 30 June 2015.
25 June 2015
Calls for papers
Latest law school events & conferences
- 25 - 26 July 2015: National Seminar organized by Unitedworld School of Law
- We are pleased to inform you that Unitedworld School of Law, recipient of the 'Best Emerging Law College in India' award 2015 at National Legal Summit and Awards, is...
- 4 days 10 hours ago
- 18-20 Sept 2015, Invitation 3rd SHRI MANGI LAL PAGARIYA MEMORIAL NATIONAL MOOT C...
- MATS Law School, MATS University is pleased to announce the annual, 3rd SHRI MANGI LAL PAGARIYA MEMORIAL NATIONAL MOOT COURT COMPETITION, 2015 over the weekend of Friday,...
- 5 days 14 hours ago
- 1st HNLU ILS Essay Competition 2015 on International Law: Submit by Aug 10
- The HNLU International Law Society is an organization comprising of students of HNLU and guided by Faculty members under the tutelage of Hidayatullah National Law...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- 21 November 2015: International Confernece of Jurist and Writers
- The “International Conference of Jurists and Writers” being jointly organized by International Council of Jurists, International Commission of Writers, All India Bar...
- 1 week 4 days ago
- 9th and 10th July, 2015: National Seminar on “Energy Law and Policy"
- Greeting from National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bengaluru, we are pleased to inform you that, Center for Environmental Law, Education, Research and...
- 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Talk about lawyering
- A word of Caution: NLIU Bhopal
- hi, I would like to bring to everyone's attention that the administration has appointed the committe and the whole post is inaccurate due to the fact that when the...
- 12 hours 44 minutes ago
- Commercial charges for a clinic
- Dear all eminent lawyers, I am a dentist and practice in a ground floor flat in Mumbai since 10th June 1990. When I bought the flat the society was not formed. The...
- 17 hours 54 minutes ago
- GLC Mumbai vs SLS Pune
- Hey! Thanks for the answer. What are the placements like at both the colleges? As in which one has it better?
- 2 days 3 hours ago
- Confused between IPR and Corporate law
- I have completed my BA.LL.B and I am now confused as to what should I pursue now? LL.M in Corporate Law or Diploma in Company Law or should i just work for a small firm...
- 2 days 4 hours ago
- No Proof for taking loan
- Hi, My name is Sanjay. I am a Real Estate Agent. I dont have any documents of paying tax and neither I have any legal documents to show that I am running a business....
- 2 days 11 hours ago
- HOW IS THE PLACEMENT OF KLE SOCIETY'S LAW COLLEGE WITH RESPECT TO ITS FLOURISHIN...
- exactly 100% true
- 4 days 2 hours ago
- Road accident and procedures
- I was with my mom she was driving and i was on the next seat suddenty a mottarist hit us on our right side while we were takiing a turn but i dont know how he gathered so...
- 7 hours 9 minutes ago
- wife propety can sell husband?
- Hi Your father has no right to sell the property of your mother nor can he force your mother to sell her property. Legally to prevent your father from forcing your...
- 12 hours 27 minutes ago
- Can grandson sell the ancestral property without his brothers’ consent, if it wa...
- Hi In the event of your grand father having transferred the 21 acres of land by a registered deed, then you may chose not to contest the transfer. If the transfer was...
- 12 hours 35 minutes ago
- can an agricultural land in india be transferred to a US citizen son?
- Hi, both of you are entitled to the property as your father has registered the property in both yur names.
- 13 hours 56 minutes ago
- parental property issue
- Hi A property held by a woman is her absolute property . she has full rights to dispose off the property in manner deemed appropriate by her. However if your brother...
- 13 hours 58 minutes ago
- who can be legal heir
- Hi a)Your grand father's (father's father) property, would have vested on your father after their demise either by succession or will.if it was vested in your father's...
- 14 hours 2 minutes ago