Your Interests & Preferences
There's a lot happening on Legally India, so we want to ensure we show you what is most appropriate.
Please take 10 seconds of your day to tell us what you do NOT like to read about.
Click on each box to de-select, and we'll not show you those types of stories anymore (subject to the 'Always Show Me' option below).
Click to deselect stories you are NOT interested in (to HIDE such stories from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides category)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
2 days ago
3 days ago
3 days ago
4 days ago
Vaish Associates advised Jaiprakash Power Ventures (JPVL) in selling its BASPA Hydro Electric Project and its Karcham Wangtoo project to JSW Energy for Rs 9,700 crore.
JSW Energy was advised by Amarchand Mangaldas Mumbai partners L Viswanathan, Tushar Mavani and Ramanuj Kumar and senior associates Prateek Shroff and Abhimanyu Ghosh.
Vaish partner Bomi Daruwala, senior associates Yatin Narang and Shrinivas Sankaran and associates Tanya Sharma and Priyesh Sharma acted for JPVL.
The board of directors of JPVL approved the transfer of the 1391 MW projects into its subsidiary HBPC as a going concern through a scheme of arrangement which would would enable HBPC to be acquired by JSW Energy, reported The Hindu.
4 days ago
The Supreme Court’s e-committee has rejected the government’s proposal to start recording court proceedings stating that it was not acceptable at present, reported the Times of India, quoting sources, though it did not report further details on the reason.
The government had mooted the proposal in August in an advisory council meeting of the law ministry, held in Delhi. Starting with all 15,000 subordinate courts as a pilot project, it was proposed to move it up to all levels, to increase transparency.
The Delhi High Court Bar Association had also vowed to meet the law ministry at the end of the court’s summer vacations, with the proposal to initiate audio video recording of court proceedings.
5 days ago
17 November 2014
Chief justice of India HL Dattu has withdrawn the practice of his predecessor RM Lodha, who had asked high courts to consult non-collegium judges before sending their judge-recommendations to the Supreme Court, reported the Economic Times.
The high court collegium, which consists of the chief justice of a given high court along with his two senior most colleagues send their nominations for judgeships to the Supreme Court collegium. Former CJI Lodha had asked the high court collegiums to also consult two judges outside the collegium, before forwarding the final list of names for elevation to the SC.
CJI Dattu has withdrawn this request, after the high court cited “difficulties” in following the practice.
17 November 2014
NLU Delhi students are currently debating introducing buffalo and pork meat in its mess food menu, after the mess committee proposed the move for “diversity” in the menu, and invited student comments.
The law school’s unofficial student newspaper Glasnost states in a post from yesterday:
In a historic and bold move, the student run Mess committee is considering offering Buff (Buffalo meat) and Pork on the menu. They announced it in an email to the student body yesterday, in which they recognised it to be a contentious issue and invited opinions and objections from the students. The Mess committee in a later email stated that this move was intended to increase diversity in the menu to cater to the needs of everyone on campus. This started a lively debate with heated opinions, the email thread hit a century within a few hours. While many students responded with shouts of joy and expressed complete support, some opposed the move strongly, including threatening to leave the common Mess.
Hat-tip to Lawctopus which first reported the news.
14 November 2014
14 November 2014
NLU Delhi will conduct the All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) 2015 on 3 May, for admission to its LLB, LLM and PhD programs.
NLU Delhi does not participate in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for admission to one of 16 participating national law universities.
The date for CLAT 2015 has not been announced yet.
14 November 2014
National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson and retired Chief Justice of India (CJI) KG Balakrishnan yesterday said overcrowding in Indian prisons can be reduced if the number of undertrials is brought down.
“If a charge sheet is being filed and there is no indication that the accused may influence witnesses or the evidence, what is the reason for keeping him behind bars,” Balakrishnan told IANS on the sidelines of a two-day national seminar on prison reforms.
“Overcrowding of prisons may lead to the violation of various basic human rights of inmates. The prisons are for convicts and not for undertrials,” he said. He also said that steps should be taken to decrease problems in jails. “State governments should invest to build more jails and improve infrastructure,” he said.
He said prisons come under states and the high courts can make a major contribution in directions to state governments on prisoners’ complaints about lack of infrastructure facilities, food, hygiene and healthcare.
NHRC member Justice (retd.) Cyriac Joseph said prisoners were also entitled to basic human rights within the limitations of prisons. Many prison and government officials attended the seminar and informed the participants on the status of the prisons in their respective states.
13 November 2014
Shamnad Basheer has won the Infosys Science Foundation 2014 prize in the humanities category today.
The former NUJS Kolkata MHRD chair professor for intellectual property (IP), founder of the Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) initiative and the SpicyIP blog, was awarded the prize “for his contributions to the analysis of a range of legal issues, including pharmaceutical patent injunctions and enforcement”, according to Infosys’ press release.
He has in recent years been involved in the Novartis-Glivec patent case in the Supreme Court, as an academic intervenor, and in the Delhi University textbook photocopying case.
The prize, conferred on individuals in six categories, consists of a purse of Rs 55 Lakhs, a 22 karat gold medal and a citation certificate for each category. Nobel prize laureate Amartya Sen was on the six-person jury for the prize in the humanities category. In previous years the prizes have been won mostly by academics and professors.
13 November 2014
- Dismissed: CJI unimpressed with BCI plea to ban enrolment of lawyers older than 45
- BCI blinks, allows DU grads to provisionally enrol, pending final call
- SC sets aside HC's bail of NUJS assistant registrar in molestation case
- Gopal Subramanium (again) offers recusal in temple case, SC (again) won't have it
- SC passes up on AAP plea to force fresh Delhi assembly elections
- Bhushan for Muzaffarnagar riot filmmaker's appeal vs 'arbitrarily' denied certificate
Calls for papers
- February 28, 2015: NALSAR Environmental Law and Practice Review (Issue 4)
- CALL FOR PAPERS The Editorial Board of the Environmental Law & Practice Review (elpr) is now open to submissions for its forthcoming issue. ELPR is a publication of...
- 1 day 23 hours ago
- 1st December 2014: The Journal of Corporate Affairs and Corporate Crimes
- The Journal of Corporate Affairs and Corporate Crimes (JCACC) extends the deadline for submission of entries for Volume 3 to 1st December, 2014. For details regarding...
- 2 weeks 4 days ago
- 15 November 2014: GNLU International Conference on Law & Economics [Mar 14-1...
- ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: It is difficult not to be struck by the potential and synergy of a joint collaboration between three premier institutions. And when...
- 2 weeks 6 days ago
- 10 March 2015: Indian Journal of International Economic Law/ Call for submission...
- The Indian Journal of International Economic Law is now accepting submissions for its upcoming issue – Volume 7. About the Journal: The Indian Journal of...
- 3 weeks 6 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- 30 November 2014: Invitation for Coase Brief Competition 2015
- It is our pleasure to invite you to participate in the Coase Brief Competition (CBC) 2015. CBC is the first of its kind, inter-disciplinary competition which aims to...
- 2 weeks 2 days ago
- 3rd November, 2014. Seminar on L.L.M at the Gould School of Law, University of S...
- On 3rd November, 2014, I Shanay Bafna am organising a seminar conducted by Dean Rasmussen, Professor Brown and Stefani Lee of the Gould School of Law, University of...
- 3 weeks 1 day ago
- 14-16 November, 2014: 1st IIT Law School National Moot Court Competition
- The deadline for electronic registration, as per the Rules (attached), has been extended to November 7, 2014. The deadline for recepit of Hard Copies of registration...
- 3 weeks 3 days ago
Talk about lawyering
- Hi, Watch on the Latest Hindi Movies || www.moviegas.com/movies.php?language=hindi ||
- 20 hours 45 minutes ago
- Where Can I Get Patent Registration ????
- Where Can I Get The Best Patent Registration Company In Delhi Can Any Body Suggest Me A Right Advice Where I Get Patent.
- 1 day 6 hours ago
- law internship
- Its available in mumbai . if you know any one let's know. Smita Vora 9892266724
- 2 days 17 hours ago
- admission to LLB after completing CA and graduation from IGNOU
- 2 days 20 hours ago
- new HNLU VC
- He is a shite, under him the university will never progress.
- 2 days 22 hours ago
- Whether to do a Company Secretary Course or not?
- Sir, Can you please tell us what pay scale does a law graduate with cs gets?
- 4 days 6 hours ago
- loan taken in dubai and defaulted in india
- Hi I have taken a loan and 3 credit cards amounting to 90000 AED (15 lakh rupees).I was paying the installments regularly. But 2 months back I got terminated from my job...
- 16 hours 45 minutes ago
- Portfolio management
- I want to start portfolio management,which includes buying and selling of stocks/futures/options from the money provided by other people. A part of the profit goes to the...
- 18 hours 4 minutes ago
- Court Marriage
- Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed and communicated to the parties for registration. On the said day, both...
- 23 hours 24 minutes ago
- Registered document mistakes
- If the number of mistakes & corrections noted at the end of a registered document differs from the actual number of mistakes & corrections in the document.. can the...
- 3 days 2 hours ago
- FATHER'S PROPERTY TRANSFER TO COUSIN WITHOUT CONSENT
- DEAR SIR, MY FATHER WAS HAVING FLAT IN ONE OF THE CHS. HE WILLFULLY SIGNED A PAPER FOR NOC TO TRANSFER IT TO MY COUSIN BUT HE NEVER TOOK MY MOTHER'S OR MY OR MY SISTERS...
- 5 days 4 hours ago
- regarding land sold with forgery docs.
- Hello sir/Madam, We are the victims in one of the land that we bought, initially we looked at the documents but the gpa holder of the land showed that few documents are...
- 6 days 19 hours ago
- Find clients & cases
- My father's sister wishes to donate her property in delhi to me. I need help in arranging this (Hong Kong )
- from ast 2 years my wife staying separtely with my son at her parents home. i want permission to mee... (Pune)
- Need a Gujratai lawyer urgently for a property transaction (London, UK)
- I got cheated by a Recruiter, she made a false promise of employment and took 1 Lack rupees and used... (Hyderabad)
- Cheque bounce (Saket, New Delhi )