Your Interests & Preferences: Please help us personalise your reading
Deselect types of stories you are NOT interested in (will be HIDDEN from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides the above)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has only recovered 0.74 per cent out of Rs 12,474 crore of fines it has imposed, reported the PTI, with the vast majority (Rs 12,292.57 crore) having been stayed on appeal and with Rs 61.10 crore having been dismissed, according to corporate affairs minister Arun Jaitley.
2 days ago
3 days ago
3 days ago
Lawyer files criminal case vs Snapdeal for selling vibrators & lubes, to 'test' section 377 hypocrisy
Apex court lawyer Suhaas Joshi has filed a criminal complaint in a Delhi metropolitan court against online shopping site Snapdeal and a sex-toy e-commerce website that closed down a month ago, arguing that they violated section 377 of the IPC that bans “carnal intercourse against the order of nature”, reported QZ.
Joshi, who told Quartz that he “only wanted to test the law” so that “either parliament should debate and discuss the issue or state should come to the rescue of all those affected”, also complained under the IPC’s section 292, 292A, 293 and 294, dealing with public obscenity. The court asked the police to investigate the matter on 5 February.
Joshi singled out products such as “anal lubes and massagers that are shaped like the male phallus”, clarifying that he was not against homosexuality but wanted to point out the double standard of the law banning the sexual activity, while allowing for the sale of items used in such activities.
Guess which SC lawyer enjoys the same Z+ security cover as SC judges & CMs? (Spoiler: You will never)
Bangalore-based self-described Supreme Court advocate Vikas Bansode, legal advisor to former Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj, has had his Z-class security cover renewed and upgraded to Z-plus level “for an indefinite period” on 24 January by the local police, reported the Bangalore Mirror.
Bansode, who was nearly appointed legal advisor to an SIT looking into illegal mining after Bhardwaj’s resignation, apparently enjoys the same security cover as Karnataka’s chief minister and governor - including eight 24-hour guards, some of whom are armed, two police vehicles with a driver and three security personnel, co-ordinated by a reserve sub-inspector, costing around Rs 1.5 crore per year - according to the Mirror.
Trouble is, police declined to tell the Mirror why Bansode was awarded this privilege by a high-powered committee of cops and the state’s chief secretary Kaushik Mukherjee.
5 days ago
The Delhi High Court Monday exempted former Delhi University vice chancellor Deepak Pental from personal appearance in trial court Feb 28 in a plagiarism case filed against him by P. Pardha Saradhi.
Justice Sunil Gaur granted the exemption, taking into consideration the application filed by Pental to allow him not to appear before the trial court Feb 28.
Pental's counsel told the court that the allegations against him was that of plagiarism which is a bailable offence.
Pental further contended that he has never skipped any court hearing in the plagiarism case.
On the other hand, Saradhi's counsel vehemently opposed pental's plea, saying: "Why does he not want to appear before court."
Saradhi, a professor of environment biology at Delhi University, had filed complaint against Pental accusing him of plagiarising his paper on biotechnology.
In November, the trial court had sent Pental to jail, however, the high court ordered his release later.
In his complaint filed in the trial court, Saradhi had alleged that Prasad, who used to be a Ph.D student under him, helped Pental copy the findings of his 1999 research project 'Production and characterisation of osmotic stress-tolerant transformants of Brassica juncea with bacterial code gene'.
Saradhi said he had allowed Prasad to use the findings of the result obtained in his Ph.D thesis.
He alleged that Pental subsequently engaged Prasad and started working on the same plant "Brassica (which belongs to the mustard family)", but using a different technique.
Saradhi contended that the detailed progress report submitted by Pental on the project had "copied verbatim" a major part of the summary and conclusion of Prasad's Ph.D thesis.
On the other hand, Pental, who was also the vice-chancellor of Delhi University 2005-2010, had said an expert committee constituted to examine the complaint of plagiarism lodged by Saradhi had exonerated him in 2009.
20 February 2015
20 February 2015
20 February 2015
19 February 2015
19 February 2015
The Delhi high court yesterday called the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) the “Delhi Destruct Authority” while saying that the land-owning agency and other departments are not concerned about Delhi.
“You all are not concerned about Delhi. All of you should be renamed. DDA should be renamed Delhi Destruct Authority,” said a division bench of justices BD Ahmed and Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva.
The court’s observation came while hearing a PIL that said there was a forest area in Tughlakabad and birds and animals were dying because of poisonous and polluted water released from illegal factories in the area.
The judges had thundered in the case earlier this month that the city’s air should be cleaned desperately by some responsible governmental authority.
The discharge has created an “artificial lake” and the polluted water “is spreading in the whole forest”, the plea filed by resident Manoj Kumar said. It said animals were dying on a large scale.
The court wanted to know which government body is responsible for looking into the issue of contaminated water and whether the water body is a natural lake or not but none of the departments could answer the court’s query.
The court also expressed unhappiness on the meeting held on Jan 29 on court’s earlier direction to chalk out remedial measures to clean the contaminated water in the Tughlakabad Ridge area. It had also asked the DDA to explore the possibility of converting the polluted artificial lake and 200 acres of surrounding land behind the Tughlaqabad Fort into a biodiversity park on the lines of the Yamuna biodiversity park.
“None if them appears to be aware as to what has to be done... All these concerned bodies don’t know who are responsible,” said the bench Wednesday as it added the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), the South Delhi Municipal Committee and the Delhi Pollution Control Committee as parties in the case.
The bench issued notice to ASI, SDMC and DPCC and sought their responses by March 4. It also asked DDA to submit a map indicating the extent of the water body and its location along with layout plan of the surrounding park.
19 February 2015
Talk about lawyering
- assignment deed of immovable property can be registered of Special economic Zone...
- In SEZ the assignment deed of immovable property can be registered or not
- 1 day 16 hours ago
- Chances of getting into a reputed law firm
- Quote: Ask yourself.. Why'd tier 1 firms recruit from colleges like Amity when there are plenty of students in top 5-6 NLU's and a handful other universities which they...
- 2 days 9 hours ago
- New Law College, Bharti Vidyapeeth, Pune
- Dear friend, As you asked about Bharati vidyapeeth, new law college so i want to inform you that there is no placement cell in this college and if you want to waste your...
- 2 days 22 hours ago
- For namesake NLU
- Anonymous, Firstly- It is the state government that decides as to which university should be given the NLU status. It is better if you do not give our expert opinions on...
- 3 days 15 hours ago
- Whether to do a Company Secretary Course or not?
- sir I am MADESH doing my 1st year b.a economics in govt.arts college ooty. I would like to do compeny secertry ship. may I know what is the steps to join cs. And this cs...
- 3 days 16 hours ago
- LLB for Oldies
- Hi, I am 38, engineer and MBA with corresponding work ex, now looking to do a law course that enables me to practice in court. I am ok with putting in full time...
- 3 days 20 hours ago
- Top Law School for LLm
- None, if you want an LLM as good as that of Harvard, Yale, Columbia or Cambridge or even NUS. Even then if you think doing it from India, NLSIU, NALSAR & Jindal should...
- 2 days 16 hours ago
- Employer declined to provide Experience certificate and relieving documen post t...
- Hi, I was terminated and after several requests I have been denied my relieving letter and experience/service certificate. I am not able to join any organisation based...
- 2 days 18 hours ago
- Help regarding harassment through unwanted telephone calls.
- Isnt that advice is more like "not confronting and avoiding guys like that coz you are a women"???? why so?? why does a woman needs to hide in circumstances like that...
- 4 days 9 hours ago
- UAE loan not paid by an Indian, cheque bounced, what happens next...
- Hi, I am facing the same problem... i was run one private limited company in Delhi and that time we are 4 directors in this company. due to some disputes with all partner...
- 4 days 20 hours ago
- Recovery of my amount
- file a summary civil suit in the Court. He would be bound to appear before the court within 10 days in order to give his defense. Let the things then take its own course....
- 4 days 21 hours ago
- Sec 69 of Indian Partnership Act
- Whether the embargo under Sec 69 of the Indan partnership Act applies to a joint venture not registered under partnership act
- 6 days 11 hours ago
- Find clients & cases
- need legal advice. a neighbhor's friend hit my parked car and ran away. I have got phone number of t... (mysore)
- To complain about a harassment which personally hurted my dignity and freedom at workplace (Bangalore)
- Cheque bounce (VIJAYAWADA)
- In New Delhi my uncle and grandmother have illegally transferred the property to their name by forgi... (New Delhi)
- Propertyregistry cancellation (klkata)