Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
Madhava Menon + 2 others appointed by CJI to draft guidlines on 'political' government ads [JUDGMENT]
The founder director of NLSIU Bangalore, NR Madhavan Menon, ex Lok Sabha secretary general TK Vishwanathan and senior counsel Ranjit Kumar have been appointed by the Supreme Court to form a committee regulating government departments advertising with an "obvious political message".
Chief Justice of India (CJI) P Sathasivam said today that existing guidelines did not cover such cases, and that the committee should submit its report to the apex court in three months. [IANS] [Read judgment (PDF)]
AZB & Partners Delhi partner and capital markets practice head Meera Singh has resigned the firm, according to Bar & Bench. Singh told the website that she was leaving for personal reasons and would continue to work flexibly with the firm on individual assignments.
Delhi managing partner Ajay Bahl also confirmed her move, saying that she would continue to be a "valued colleague and a dear friend" to him and others at the firm. She had been at Bahl's firm since 2001, having worked at New Delhi Law Offices for seven years after graduating from Campus Law Centre. [Bar & Bench]
Yesterday Legally India reported that Khaitan & Co Mumbai capital markets partner Vibhava Sawant had left the firm for personal reasons, and last year, Luthra capital markets head Madhurima Mukherjee left the firm.
While Nalsar got close but India did not manage to repeat last year's NLSIU Jessup win, the national law school from Bangalore did get laurels at one of the other massively prestigious international moots: NLS was the runner-up team at the Vis Vienna Arbitration Moot over the weekend, also picking up two honourable mentions for speakers.
Story to be updated when we get more. [MPL Facebook page]
Salve bats for McDonald's v Mukul Rohatgi, claiming Vikram Bakshi forum shops to avoid LCIA arbitration
A detailed report in the Eco Times on the long-running legal scuffle between McDonald's and its local JV partner Vikram Bakshi. McDonald's has accused Bakshi in the Delhi high court of forum shopping by launching Company Law Board (CLB) and Delhi high court challenges to a London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) proceeding between the parties.
Bakshi, represented by senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi to date, has been fighting for his reinstatement as managing director of the joint venture after he was ousted by McDonald's in 2013.
Senior counsel Harish Salve will appear for McDonald's today, arguing against the Indian proceedings so that the London arbitration can proceed. [Economic Times]
Sahara, which is on a money-collecting drive from employees to gather Rs 5,000 crore to pay for its boss' bail, has sent a defamation notice to milk maker Amul's owner, the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation.
The famous Amul girl marketing campaign regularly makes fun of current affairs topics, and in this case captioned an Amul girl comic strip with "besahara parivar" and "hard to share" - a pun on Sahara's old slogan "Sahara parivar" - the Sahara family - and the Hindi word besahara, meaning lacking in (family) assistance. ,width-300,resizemode-4/Amul-Besahara-Parivaar.jpg [Times of India] [Amul comic ad image]
Talk about lawyering
- hello I am a NRI. As a result I did not have any coaching for CLAT. The only time I got for preparing was the one month after my board exams. In case, I dont qualify for...
- 4 hours 17 minutes ago
- HOW IS FERGUSSEN D.E.S. LAW COLLEGE PUNE? (PLACEMENTS)
- How good is the des law college . I will apply for the 5 year course this year. Secondly how good is the hostel there reply ASAP pls
- 12 hours 8 minutes ago
- Whether to do a Company Secretary Course or not?
- I m law student doing cs with law. I have cleared foundation and also bls.llb.pls sir I want to ask that if I have completed my cs n law both with a good marks so i will...
- 1 day 3 hours ago
- pg diploma in intellectual property rights
- hii m a bcom graduate from du and i m thinking of pursuing pg diploma in intellectual property rights from nalsar...i need a expert advice..m nt a law student do i have...
- 1 day 12 hours ago
- GNLU or NLUJ ???
- * ACAD - It gives much emphasis on academics * Mooting - See MPL - 5 rankings NLUJ is much better * Location - NLUJ being located in Jodhpur, Rajasthan has its own...
- 1 day 22 hours ago
- DU vs Nationals , DU placements ?
- Hey guys ! Along with DU llb Iam also thinking of applying for GLC and ILS . I have 79% in Graduation. I guess I will get through ILS not sure about GLC though. And I...
- 3 days 14 hours ago
- regarding stay
- Sir/Madam My husband is having 3 elder brothers and now my motherin law passed away. Now they have decided to give the property to my third brotherin law. when my husband...
- 14 hours 52 minutes ago
- harassment by telecom compnay
- If my telecom operator is harrising me by over billing by various ways from last one year continuosly, so how can i appeal of harrasment and chrge them for compnesation....
- 16 hours 38 minutes ago
- Case against dowry
- Dear Sir, I had fixed my sister marriage with a boy, Aman working in indian railway and his father (Bhushan ) is farmer. We had given them 6 lacs rupees as help in...
- 20 hours 22 minutes ago
- Property disputes. Adverse Possession
- thank you very much friend i find very much relevant to my case please if u dont mind provide me ur mail or contact no.
- 1 day 2 hours ago
- selling of parental poperty
- MY FATHER HAS SEVEN SONS AND ONE DAUGHTER.THEY ALL ARE SEPARATED AND HAVE THEIR OWN LIFE AND FAMILY.THREE OF THE SONS USED TO LIVE IN THE IN THE PARENTAL HOUSE TILL MY...
- 1 day 9 hours ago
- Lost of Allotment letter cum allocation letter
- Quote: I need a sample allocation letter for houses in a real estate.
- 2 days 8 hours ago
Infosys senior vice president and general counsel Nithyanandan Radhakrishnan has quit to set up his own law firm in Bangalore, telling TOI: "My exit was amicable. I am going to turn 40 next year and I wanted to do something on my own. In fact, I wanted to quit after the Department of Justice settlement last year. But since there were exits after that, I wanted to stay on for a while."
In a statement Infosys said it would be the first major client of the former GC, who graduated from NLSIU Bangalore in 1998, and specialises in corporate transactional and compliance work. [Times of India]
18 April 2014
Advocate and Christian nun Sister Jasmine, who has been enrolled since 2000 with the Delhi bar council and is currently working with the Human Rights Law Network (HRLN), said she would file a complaint about other lawyers having objected to her wearing her nun's habit with with the advocates' band. [Indian Express]
Outgoing Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman Manan Kumar Mishra told the Indian Express that while the wearing of a "turban is not a problem" with the advocate's uniform, a nun's habit was not allowed.
Retired judge S N Dhingra disagreed: "Just as turbans and other religious markers are allowed in court, a habit is also not a violation" [via @mohitsingh8 on Twitter]
The police had fired the policewoman after compelling her to take medical exams several years ago that determined she was transgender.
The Madras high court, relying on this week's Supreme Court judgment, told the police to reinstate her in service [TOI]
17 April 2014
17 April 2014
A woman has allegedly been molested inside a Delhi high court room while she was accompanied by her father and lawyer.
An unnamed man allegedly first stared at her in the court's lobby, later stood beside her and put his hand on her shoulder, and then touched her inappropriately on 5 March. CCTV footage is being examined. [Times of India]
The dean of Bharati Vidyapeeth University's New Law College in Pune was suspended, after he was allegedly "caught" at his home with a 22-year old female law student.
The student did not press charges but dean Dr Mukund Sarda has been suspended pending an investigation, after residents at his society made a police complaint. BJP and Shiv Sena workers reportedly protested at the police station and demanded that a complaint be registered against the deal, claiming that it was not the first time residents complained against the dean who was "notorious" for "such activities".
The dean told Mid-Day: "The girl came to my house voluntarily. We were preparing for a power point presentation. It is a temporary suspension. I expect a fair inquiry. The residents of the society who approached the police have never given me any notice or warning before." [Mid-Day]
A Supreme Court bench of Justices KS Radhakrishnan and Vikramjit Sen modified a Delhi high court order giving the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) power to do a statutory or special audit of private telecom companies accounts.
Instead, the bench decided that the CAG should have the right to scrutinise the accounts of private telecoms companies to make sure that the government was getting "legitimate share" from the Telcos' use of natural resources such as spectrum.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has alleged that Hyderabad-based firm Manshi Systems has been selling customers access to a subscription-only NSE service. The stock exchange has now started proceedings in the Bombay high court against the firm and, significantly, also against the Indian subsidiary of the firm's web hosting company GoDaddy, which is the world's largest domain name registrar.
The NSE is represented by Krishna and Saurastri Associates partner Manish Saurastri. Cyber lawyer Pavan Duggal told Mint that under the IT Act, intermediaries, such as GoDaddy, would have to prove in court that they had exercised due diligence against copyright infringement.
The story did not specify whether GoDaddy, which apparently manages 57m domain names, received and ignored any takedown requests from the NSE before the court case, or whether it otherwise failed to be diligent in spotting the allegedly infringing service. [Mint]
15 April 2014
- Nalsar battles into last 16 of Jessup Moot world cup, facing Oxford in Washington [UPDATE: India out of Jessup]
- Day Zero: 33 NLSIU fourth-years bag early jobs, Amarchand, Khaitan heaviest
- Fali Nariman: 'Apprehensive' about Modi, Manmohan = failed; likes Sathasivam, doesn't like Lokpal, panchayats
- Khaitan & Co promotes 37 lawyers up a rung to senior & principal from around 4- to 6-year mark
- POLL: Who do you want as your next government? Cong v BJP v AAP v NOTA
- NLSIU students set fire in acad block after homophobic vandalism against faculty last year
- Find clients & cases
- I need a advice: My employer is refusing to pay my last salary just because I was on leave. (Noida)
- Owner passed away, property was in his name. His wife, son and a daughter are fighting over the righ... (kurukshetra)
- 5 Indonesian citizens' unpaid dues by oil companies: Need lawyer to serve legal notice in India (Delhi)
- NRI wants to file discrimination PIL v Ministry of External Affairs and Indian Embassy in US (Bermuda, North America)
- My property illegally acquired by some local individual and has now constructed a house, without hav... (Lucknow (case) / Gurgaon (client))