Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
Clyde & Co Dubai aviation partner Sidanth Rajagopal joined the London office of Kaye Scholer with the same designation, reported Bar & Bench.
The ILS Pune alumnus, who had also briefly worked at Clyde’s Indian best friend firm Clasis Law, told B&B: “This was a fantastic opportunity to be part of a top rated Aviation Finance & Leasing Practice that is expanding its global reach.”
We have reached out to Clydes for comment.
Law Comm's AP Shah weighs in on collegium debate: Fixed CJI tenure, JAC to have more judges & post-bench cooling off
The Law Commission chairman Justice AP Shah has recommended that the tenure of the Chief Justice of India (CJI) should be fixed to at least two years, and that the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) should consist of at least four judges, including the CJI as chairperson, reported The Hindu and the Indian Express.
The minimum CJI tenure should take effect after the current roster of sitting Supreme Court judges in line for the CJI post will have retired by August 2022, with Justice NV Ramana as the last CJI under the old system, recommended Shah in a note he sent to the law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Furthermore, he recommended that judges should have a three year “cooling off period” after retirement before they take up any government jobs. The JAC, apart from the four sitting Supreme Court judges, should also include the law minister, with an eminent jurist and an eminent member of civil society picked by the CJI, the prime minister and the leader of the Lok Sabha opposition.
Shah’s proposal was reportedly discussed in Monday’s meeting between the law ministry and top lawyers and retired judges.
The central government and its law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad are set to meet in Delhi with a number of advocates today, to discuss the shape of a constitutional amendment on judicial appointments, reported the Times of India.
The panel to give feedback on a possible change to the collegium system includes “former CJIs AM Ahmadi, AS Anand, VN Khare and RC Lahoti; former AGs K Parasaran, Soli Sorabjee and Ashok Desai; eminent lawyers Fali Nariman, Shanti Bhushan, Anil Divan, KK Venugopal and Harish Salve; eminent jurists NR Madhava Menon and Upendra Baxi [and] attorney general Mukul Rohatgi and solicitor general Ranjit Kumar,” according to the TOI.
The previous government's draft Judicial Appointments Commission Bill proposed a panel of the CJI and two Supreme Court judges, the law minister as well as two eminent citizens, who will be nominated by the prime minister, the CJI and the Lok Sabha's Leader of the Opposition - a position currently unfilled.
The Bar Council of India (BCI) has stated that under Rule III of the BCI rules “wearing of advocate’s gown shall be optional except when appearing in the Supreme Court or in High courts”, reported the Times of India, and under Rule IV, “wearing of black coat is not mandatory” during summer.
The relaxed dress code, communicated in a letter of 16 July by the BCI, was a response to a letter sent on 2 June by the Tamil Nadu Federation of Women’s Lawyers, requesting the exemption because of the inordinate heat in summer, particularly in Tamil Nadu.
Punjab and Haryana high court chief justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul was today sworn-in as chief justice of the Madras high court.
The 55-year-old Delhi University law graduate and former senior counsel replaces Justice RK Agrawal, who was elevated to the Supreme Court, and acting chief justice Satish K Agnihotri. [The Hindu]
The force feeding of a fasting Muslim by a Shiv Sena politician was termed “very regrettable and unfortunate” by the home minister in Parliament; an NGO meanwhile took legal action:
Advocate Imran Ali alleged that the act of Sena MP Vichare was a “deliberate act” to “grab public attention” and “hurt sentiments and religious feelings of Muslims”. He claimed that the act was “intentional” since the “Shiv Sena claims and has projected itself to be a non-secular party”.
The lawyer sought registration of an FIR under IPC sections 153A (promoting enmity), 295A (deliberate act to insult religious belief) and 298 (intent to wound religious feelings).
The Bar Council of India (BCI) has extended the registration date for the All India Bar Exam (AIBE) to 13 August, according to a notice dated today (25 July) on the official AIBE website. Registrations were scheduled to end today after the bar exam date was postponed to 7 September 2014.
The Supreme Court has appointed senior advocate RS Cheema as the special public prosecutor (SPP) in the Coalgate scam special court trial, reported the PTI, presided over by additional sessions judge Bharat Parashar.
A week ago the bench of Chief Justice RM Lodha, Justice Madan B Lokur and Justice Kurian Joseph had heavily pushed for Gopal Subramanium, who bowed out of the apex court judgeship process, to become SPP.
Latest law school events & conferences
- 7th-9th August, 2014: The First NLUO Literary Festival, 2014
- [image] Greetings! Krotova, The Literary and Debating...
- 1 day 3 hours ago
- 9th-12th October 2014: Cultural and Literary Festival 'NH-65'
- National Law University, Jodhpur is proud to announce the Third Edition of it's bi-annual Cultural and Literary Festival 'NH-65' from 9th-12th October.2014. Kindly send...
- 1 day 17 hours ago
Talk about lawyering
- How to operate law firm
- respectfully, I am created an association with my freind .to work for legal srvices. Presently we are practicing in high court Lucknow .. I want to know that What are...
- 8 minutes ago
- Smoking In Jindal University
- You re a Kid. Insider's right. Go contact a doc. Or try the nico free chewing gums.
- 52 minutes ago
- RECENT LAW SCHOOL RANKING (2014)
- In recent time student preference has much changed after first top 3 National Law Schools (5-yr) 1. NLSIU 2. NALSAR 3. NUJS 4. NLUJ 5. NLIU 6. GNLU 7. RMLNLU 8. RGNLU 9....
- 19 hours 9 minutes ago
- Law school 5year integrated program
- 1. ALS (Delhi) 2. JGLS 3. VIPS
- 19 hours 14 minutes ago
- HNLU............what really got it down??
- HNLU was at peak when it conducted CLAT-2013. As of 2014 the ranking of National Law Schools are as under. 1. Bangalore 2. Hyderabad 3. Kolkata 4. Jodhpur 5. Bhopal 6....
- 19 hours 19 minutes ago
- YOU are not exciting or interesting.
- 1 day 1 hour ago
- Seller not vacating after registration and payment - Noida
- Respected members of the forum, I purchased a house from the seller and got the registry done. However, since the seller had got operation done, i allowed him to stay...
- 1 hour 48 minutes ago
- property partition
- file suit for partition and at the same time file injunction petition.
- 1 day 7 hours ago
- Harassment from neighbour
- This matter can be sorted out easily by negotiations with your neighbour.
- 1 day 7 hours ago
- settlement on power of attorney
- According to my opinion the POA is not valid now. The author of the document is dead as such the POA is of no use.
- 1 day 7 hours ago
- Need advice regarding international travel when accused of criminal charges
- pl call me 4060504500
- 1 day 7 hours ago
- stay order on a machinery stores
- 1 day 7 hours ago
24 July 2014
The seventh All India Bar Examination (AIBE – VII) has been postponed for candidates appearing from Cochin from 7 September to a yet undecided date.
The Bar Council of India (BCI) said in its notification that the exam was postponed in Kerala due to Thirunoam celebrations on that date. The notification on the AIBE’s website states:
“As per the council decision via letter ref no : BCI:D:3487/2014, This is to inform the candidates from the state of Kerala who have applied for AIBE-VII that the examination will not be conducted on 7th September 2014 in Kerala due to the celebration of Thiruonam. All the candidates who have selected their examination center as Cochin will be allowed to appear for the examination that will be held on a later date. The date of the examination will soon be published online."
23 July 2014
The Calcutta high court is set to get its first female chief justice, as Kerala high court chief justice Manjula Chellur gets trasnferred to Calcutta after its CJ Arun Mishra was elevated as a Supreme Court judge, reported the New Indian Express.
Justice Chellur became a Karnataka HC judge in 2000 and replaced now SC justice Chelameswar as Kerala HC’s CJ in November 2011.
22 July 2014
Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha has notified the Supreme Court Rules, 2013 that have received the president’s assent and will reduce the maximum time of the apex court’s summer vacations from 10 to 7 weeks, reported the Indian Express, though the total annual holidays will remain capped at 103 days [Download rules here].
The court took 49 days (7 weeks) of summer vacations this year, against an average of 45 days for the past few years. However, the move is seen as symbolic of Lodha’s desire to reduce pendency in the courts by increasing the number of working days, which has seen heavy resistance from bar councils and associations.
Supreme Court advocate Vineet Dhanda, who was booked in March for an alleged altercation with the police, has hit back at the cops by reportedly exonerating himself with CCTV and video footage of his interaction with the police that he obtained via a right to information (RTI) request for the police’s internal inquiry files into the case. The video evidence apparently directly contradicts the police’s charges against the advocate.
Dhanda now told the DNA that he would sue the cops for defamation after filing false cases against him and roughing up him and his wife.
Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha said that senior counsel Gopal Subramanium, who recently withdrew from the process to become a Supreme Court judge after government leaks about his suitability, should be the special public prosecutor in the Coalgate scam cases, reported the PTI.
Lodha, who had expressed his regrets about Subramanium's withdrawal from the judgeship process, told the bar appearing before him and two other judges: "If I failed in something you [lawyers appearing in the matter] persuade [Subramanium]... We want a person of impeccable integrity and fine legal mind."
Verus Advocates Mumbai partner Jay Parikh, assisted by associates Aastha Khurana, Rashna Jehani and Priyanka Devgan, acted for Hyderabad-based Sagar Cements which sold 47 per cent of its Vicat Sagar Cement to an affiliate of its French joint-venture partner Vicat Group for Rs 435 crore. MNK Law Delhi partner Probal Bhaduri and associate Kamalika Bhattacharjee acted for Vicat.
- CLAT 2014 preferences: NLU Jodhpur catches up to NLIU as NUJS nabs 3 'from' NLS
- CJI: Gov’t laws responsible for perception of judges chasing post-retirement tribunal jobs
- AZB, Vinson Elkins on Airtel’s African tower sale for roughly $1bn
- LKS converts to equity: 7 non-founders to take profit share under partnership deed
- Collegium chins up to govt hinting at dropping yet another name recommended by it
- SCBA bans interns from canteen: Comply or be embarrassed
- Find clients & cases
- I have problem with my house owner. He decided to vacate myself using one family share with my home.... (Madurai)
- Cheque bounce (Mumbai)
- Impending cheque bounce which I issued to SBI Credit card department, what should I do? (Guntur)
- I want to publish a magazine, for which I have to get RNI no: Can you help? (Hyderabad)
- lost my original land documents how to recover it (bangalore)