Read 94 comments as:
Filter By
Legally india is full of variety of lawyers, academics students , parents and some odd curious people from other professions. It is not unfounded to know about this small community .
5th yr law student. Tier 2 NLU. Stressed about getting a job as I haven't done good Internships.
Here, have an upvote! But please don't take it personally, the internet can be a cruel space, and only getting 2 downvotes is not very much at all :) They may both have slipped with their mouse, or maybe two people out of pinciple downvote anything that gets the featured tag, etc :)
Interpretation of one shloka of GEETA by Bomb creator but wrongly quoted by this theorical physicist. " I think ; therefore I am " Descartes over emphasised on mind . "Life is real only then, "I am "."- Gurdjieff emphasised on unreal human beings on this earth ( the process of self lying nature of human being imprisoned by conditioning of society,culture ,structural religion,own conclusions and ideas and madhouse in the name of professionalism by multi faced creature on this earth ) .
Why are you talking illogically? It was not wrongly construed but intentionally altered. Oppen was at a learning stage of Sanskrit during that particular period. So he won’t exactly deliver the exact correct translation. The message was more or less same in spirit.
Intentionally altered and not able to deliver exactly do not go together but both are mutually exclusive. From objective point of view ,you will be able to see illogic in your own point .
Parent . Help clat aspirants to improve their clat rank by providing materials, mentioning and right kind of strategies.
Hi, I am a third year law student in a tier 1 NLU, who has only had 2 tier 2 law firm internships.
First year, first trim student at the law school. About to collapse under deadline pressure and academic rigour.
They have diluted the academic standards like never before. No research papers, no viva for most subjects. It can't get easier tbh
A0 working in M&A (remote role) in a boutique firm. Swing by LI once a day because damn has this platform been helpful, and the funny comments of course!
Its sad to see people identify themselves as Tier of law firm of Tier of law school or tier of their internship firms.Thats the way tge qorld likes to classify ypu.You are not any of these,your much more
Yes . Your understanding about yourself is more important. With all welcoming the ' real me '. We also want to be introduced by our profession ,so that to have a common ground of this external reality.
Law School, 2000s batch

Equity Partner at a Tier 1 firm in Bombay, been at the Corp grind for a while now, slinging it in M&A.

I remember the earliest days of LI when folks would comment under their real names, fond memories.

Glad to see this being revived :)
Work-life balance? Relationship with kids and your SO? Divorced? Affairs? Please give us an understanding of the struggles.
Work life balance has been good for the last decade or so, once I was senior enough and could confidently handle my client book. Helps that the firm has recruited in large numbers, so there's enough resources to go around.

Spouse and kids good so far.
Why are people downvoting this? I don't think CorpRider has actually said anything remotely meriting a downvote. I don't understand the online mob sometimes.
Good evening sir,

I am practising under a civil lawyer in district court. I am completed my L.LB (3 years) from evening college and college did not have any events, or internship cells.

I am graduate from batch of 2020. I have been working since then.

I m frustrated with low/no pay under a litigating senior and also in litigation in general. Cases are pending for really long time. Our judiciary is also not very well read and brilliant.

Hence, for financial reasons and to save my soul (and life) I want to jump into Gen Corp and M&A.

Could you kindly take sometime to guide & write down a plan to scale our careers in your field for candidates/professionals like me and similary situated in life? Do cold messaging on linkedin works? I have had no success. Could you write out an actionable plan please? Is there a way to contact you and speak for few minutes?

Best wishes,

user-01
@CorpRider :-

Good evening

Happy sunday

Will you kindly please check my above post and provide some information
Hey there, user-01.

Let me be honest. Most people doing corporate law are in it for financial reasons, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Given that I've now reached the managerial side of things, I have seen how it works from this side:

1. There are far too many young lawyers chasing corporate jobs, so the Tier 1 firms hold the upper hand.

2. LinkedIn cold-call is poor form, avoid it.

3. Top firms use some things as basic screeners - college reputation, grades, internships, and extracurriculars (in that order). Informally, favourable recommendations from the legal fraternity (lawyers/judges), clients etc may help improve an applicants chances.

Therefore my suggestion is that you work on some of these parameters. District litigation can expose you to good matters. Develop a favourable reputation among clients. We have taken on disputes associates who have 3-4 years of credible trial work.

Best of luck.
Thanks for your insights, Sir/Madam

1) Sir how can I tackle problem of college reputation, internships and extra curricular at this stage ? I am supremely stressed that the damage is irrepairable. My classmates and I were too focused on judicial services.

Another question is that:-

2) i want to avoid disputes team like the plague! I have started to hate incompetent and lethargic judiciary !

Thanking you
@user-1,

Sorry to put it bluntly, but it is on you to demonstrate drive and ambition. Maybe do an internship at a smaller firm or a boutique firm. Financially, it might be a strain but you want to break into corporate law so you need to show initiative at some level (since you say your college/grades/internships/extracurriculars are not going to cut it).

Further, it may not be my place, but your dismissive attitude towards trial litigation is disappointing. Maybe it's not for you, but it's unfair to paint the entire bar and bench as "not brilliant". The key to being a professional is to seek out excellence wherever you find yourself. You'll find enough people who want to complain, but those that do well work hard and make the most of every opportunity.

Best of luck.
I'm a litigating lawyer for the last 5 years.

Have been visiting this site for about 10 years.

I don't think there are many independent practitioners on this website.
Why don't you share your experience with litigation? it's rare to find people who are practicing here :)
Hey there! Fresh 2023 graduate who gave a shot at the services but is now struggling to find jobs in litigation in Delhi.

Would love to know about your experiences in litigation.
Hey!

It's a tough field. But consistent efforts, even if small, pay off. A lot of people say the key to litigation is hardwork. That's true for every field. What's possibly unique to litigation is the pressing need to network. You need to network HARD.

Would be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.
Hello, I am a third year law student studying in a Tier 1 NLU, interested in Technology, Gaming and Anime, my goal is to become a Judicial Officer, I also have a keen interest in constitutional law.
Associate at a T1, check legally india atleast once a day for the occasional firm gossip or just a funny comment
Originally from a low-income household in a small town, currently a 5th year at a T1 NLU. Ranked in the bottom 25% of the class. No connections & no publications, but interned excessively during the pandemic.

Received a callback offer or reference (to a better firm) at every internship I pursued.
Multiple firms - including T1s & T2s - expressed interest in offering PPOs, I accepted an offer from a team of my choice at a T1.

Open to learning new things & helping others.
Can we connect somehow? I am currently in the 3rd year in the bottom 70 percent of the class
Hi, feel free to put any specific questions here. Would be happy to address whatever I can?
NLS graduate from the early (Madhava Menon days) batches. Been around the block several times - everything from working abroad to law firms to litigation to NGOs. Stopped taking all this stuff seriously a decade or more ago - it's just a job. Still find it amusing how so many of the people I was in hostel with are spoken of here in hushed tones of awe, as the senior partners and senior advocates and judges - it always reminds me of the wildest hostel story about them. I drop in here once in a while am frequently tempted to post "just chill out and relax -it's not as big a deal as you think" in half the topics.
Spill the beans (focus on the ragging of that time especially the congress guy)
NLU grad working at a public sector body. Visiting the website since 2008. From a news and masala gossip website, it has turned into a Reddit like site. Nonetheless, reading it is good fun. May Legally India continue a few more decades.
AO at a no tier firm in a smaller city. Yup we exist too. Log on to LI almost daily. It's always a coin toss between triggering an existential crises or a fun chuckle. A great intiative nonetheless. Cheers Kian.
I spend most of my time here as there’s hardly any work at my workplace. Love u guys
Hello, first year law student. Going to intern during the winter break in delhi. Can anyone please guide me where to start? Commission/NGO etc etc. Thank you!
Hi, could you please give some tips to me( a final year law student aspiring to join in house but a little clueless about it) Thank you!!
Associate at a boutique firm in Delhi. One of only few in my batch to be working tbh.
NLS grad, did an Oxbirdge LLM right after. Full disclosure: I come from a legal family (dad's a senior counsel, granddad was a judge) so my experiences are definitely coloured by my circumstances. Been at litigation for a while now, it has been extremely fulfilling. The challenge, diversity, and opportunity that litigation affords is unparalleled. I do my own matters now, in addition to some legacy clients that my father's chamber handles.

My suggestion to young graduates is this - don't write off litigation too early, it great once you get going, and be patient. The money will come, and then it will be a flood.
I hope you feel good about yourself, for the snark. On to a more serious note, no place is an absolute meritocracy. Litigation has a way to go in becoming more accessible. But it's not as though the law firms are meritocratic utopia. While the first few years are rewarding based on calibre and commitment, the partnership of all these firms are as networked old-boys' clubs as any other. In fact, I'd think the number of rank outsiders at the top of the law firm world and the litigation world are moving to parity.
I do feel good, thanks. And I don't remember saying a word about law firms being meritocratic or diverse. You just had to take it upon yourself to assume and explain, hehe
Honest questions - what are your hours like? What was your first take-home salary? Did you even need it?

It's frustrating for the lot of us who leave our families to slog it out at seniors' chambers, spend our nights staying up past 3 AM, and lose our hair in our mid-20s. I'm just wondering if the legacy kids have any of the same anxieties that is shared by first-gen lawyers while they go for macarons and coffee with their uncles and relations in the profession at 5 PM.
I sense some confrontation here, I'll try to not take it personally. As for your question, my hours are extremely varied now that I am almost entirely independent. Yes, the family network has helped me. I do not deny it. But the key to litigation (as a first-gen lawyer) is to aim to go independent as soon as you can. I see so many people who continue to be juniors to Senior Advocates, for years. This does not help your career. Rather, you should get your own cases (however small they may be, to start out). Once you're confident of your clientele, shift out. Once you're independent, your hours are yours to decide.
Junior counsel at the Bombay High court. At the chamber of a senior advocate, navigating my way through litigation
A 10-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
Don’t make joke out of these things. Sexual harassment is not a joke.
I want an explanation from the 5 people ( men assuming) who disliked this.
The joke is not on sexual harassment, but the perpetrator. Ever heard of self deprecating humour? Rather than seeking explanation, a bit of introspection on your comprehending skills would do you a world of good dear 😘
There's a difference though. They are making fun of the aggressor, not sexual harassment itself.

A joke about sexual harassment per se is not bad. It depends on what the underlying premise in a joke is.
A 8-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 42-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.