Read 28 comments as:
Filter By
Why do people only talk about tier 1s here ?

There are so many good firms doing good work and paying decently.

Whatever the question maybe, why always start with SCAM, Trilegal, etc.
More Money attracts competitive/ toxic people, and these people gossip the most. < Mostly true>
Illogical. More money attracts everybody. It's just that toxic people have gamed their entire five years of law school to get into the highest paying firms, and non-toxic but talented people avoid or quit such firms early because they can't cope with the rest.
Salary and bragging rights. Thats what drives people initially. You will also find many senior level people going from T1 to T2/ T3 after some time because of W/L balance. Many also shift because they cant cope with stuff like targets and politics of T1s.
It's actually the other way round. More T2 people keep applying or contact recruiters for T1s. Because the WLB is the worst regardless of the firm in most practices and sometimes actually worse at smaller offices due to understaffing and quality dearth. So the only thing better is better pay.
Lol, clearly you lack culture. To hell with your pathetic salary, looks like you're compensating for something else that's really small.
What's your inhand after income taxes (not under 40ADA)? Also what is your career progression in 10 years?
Parrot approach. They've just heard it from seniors, who passed it to their juniors. When they finally land the job then realise the toxicity involved. It's tier 1 in money but tier 3 in mental health. I'd work all day in courts and earn in pennies initially than ruin my mental health in the start. So start in litigation and then move to corporate. Not the other way round.
yes because courts are so mental healthy friendly and no pay to sustain yourself is definitely not a major contributing factor huh
What career progression are you talking about. I'm SDE 1 at amazon, my take home is 2L+ per month. In three years, I'll be SDE 2 and it will be 3.5L and in another three years SDE 3, it'll be 5.5L.
Yeah, and you still did not get the point. Your 5.5L at the end of 6-7 years amounts to 66L. The pay at tier 1s, at the end of that term, ballparks between 55-60. Now while this looks like a 5-10L difference a year, you forgot/chose to ignore the fact that we get the advantage of a more liberalized income tax regime. On top of that, our takeaway is almost the entirety of what we get because we do not have to make contributions that you guys have to make mandatorily. How wealthy you are (because of how much you earn) is not the number on your gross salary. It is how much you retain.

And we are not even bringing litigation into this argument. Yes, it pays very poorly to its freshers, but we all agree that once litigation starts paying off, there are very few independent businesses/practices that can reward you with such a corpus in such a short span.

In addition to this, lay-offs. We are not the ones who wake up with the fear of being laid-off in the hundreds and thousands. There is mostly enough work to go around unless your performance has been abysmally pathetic or the senior/partner has decided its time to cut you loose, and even then it's a smaller number compared to what software developers go through.

"What career progression?"- I won't even bother replying to this because someone else probably will.

None of this makes your profession or mine superior to the other. We all chose our poison, so let's drink it peacefully and without this di*k measuring.
Take home means in hand, after tax deduction and contributions to funds, which remains your money. So if after 6 years, you get 55-60, you'll fist have to pay tax on it. So effectively your earning is say 50 after tax. What an employed guys gets 5.5 in hand, it's 66 after taxes plus ~ 10 lacs pa in fund contributions so 76. It's still 50% higher mate. But yeah, we all choose our poison so let's just drink it.
Erm...if your gross is 55-60, then your tax liability is going to be much more than 5. Just saying.
Yes yes. Absolutely right. But just took a lower tax number to show that even with such a lower tax number, how the math works.
Yes yes. Absolutely. Took a lower number for tax just to illustrate that even with such lower tax amount, the difference in overall earning is significant. Btw, Haven't factored in Gratuity which is significant amount and also other workplace facilities and perquisites for analysis.
This is a lie, my cousin works at amazon. There is a joining bonus of 15L ish divided in 2 years but it is only one time. And 15L base, no way your in hand is 2+ after taxes and contributions. Liar