Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
Aniruddha is a good man. Quite well versed in international law. I don't think political ideologies should be upped everywhere and everytime.
Has strong RSS connections and also gave speeches at certain events directly or indirectly linked to the Sangh. But he's a decent guy and does decent work. No doubt got the edge from political patronage.
Aniruddha Rajput, a 33-year-old lawyer with links to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, was formally introduced as India’s candidate to the International Law Commission by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN in May. He is probably the youngest ever nominee to the world legal body that codifies public international law – and, say lawyers familiar with his record, also the most inexperienced.

The Geneva-based commission usually has senior academicians and legal officers from foreign ministries around the world as its members. As per the ILC’s statute adopted by the UN General Assembly, the commission comprises 34 members β€œwho shall be persons of recognised competence in international law”.

The ILC’s current members include a former foreign minister, a judge, three former attorney generals, eight former ambassadors who have experienced multiple postings, two former presidents of the United Nations Security Council, and over a dozen law professors and heads of legal departments in foreign ministries, all of whom have weighty legal tomes under their belt or years of practical experience dealing with public international law issues.

For example, Amos S. Wako had been Kenya’s attorney general for 20 years, before he was nominated and elected in 2011. Switzerland’s Lucius Caflisch and Germany’s George Nolte are world-renowned international law academics and Ernest Petric sat as a judge in the Constitutional Court of Slovenia.

https://thewire.in/diplomacy/pmo-foists-junior-lawyer-rss-links-indian-nominee-top-world-legal-body
Future ASG or Law Minister or SC judge, alongside J Sai Deepak πŸͺ·πŸ›•πŸ©³
In October 2016, a former trustee of GVF, Aniruddha Rajput, who was also listed as a β€œmentor” of the organisation and a member of its governing council, was nominated India’s representative to the United Nations’ International Law Commission, a world legal body that codifies public law. The choice of Rajput, who was then 33 and completing a doctoral degree, raised questions because prior to him, India had always chosen a senior and seasoned jurist for the position in what is one of the United Nations’ top legal bodies.

Rajput continued to be listed as a trustee in GVF until at least March 2019. He is a lawyer with a history of links to the Sangh, having served as a counsel and director of the RSS think-tank, Jammu and Kashmir Study Centre. He was also appointed by the Haryana government as a member of its Fifth Finance Commission in May 2016. The GVF’s director, public policy, Mukul Asher (who is also on the foundation’s advisory body) was appointed the Chairman of this finance commission.

https://www.newsclick.in/Why-Did-RSS-Linked-GVF-Intervene-SC-Stop-West-Bengal-Probe-Commission-Pegasus-Snooping
Mods why has this comment even been allowed? And also not marked as trollish?
If someone gave me an option to choose between a well qualified and competent right wing professor and a mediocre left wing professor- I would choose the former any day.
In this case, Rajput was not the most qualified person for the job. That's the point.
fair point, but in India the "most qualified" person rarely gets the job. Any place where the government has a hand, it favors its lackeys, and this is regardless of ideology or party. That, and the reservation policy.
Even among the government lackeys, he was not the most qualified person. In fact, his lack of qualification was rather stark at that time. I refer to the UN position of course, not this irrelevant visiting position. Anyone can be made DVP.
Yes reserving for the upper castes with thousands of years of privilege.
I know you went for the low hanging fruit with the easiest "muh moral high horse" retort, but you're still wrong.

Abhishek Manu Singhvi was 10 times more privileged than me when it comes to the profession. However, he still has much more exposure, better mentorship, more court time and the right connections, and he is objectively a better professional than me even if we both have the same number of years of experience. Was he more privileged than me? Yes. But did his privilege aid him in getting better than me? Also yes. Similar to how money begets money. Better education, better networking, reasonable competency will take one places that simple hard work and talent can never reach in one generation (without a stroke of luck).
Him being Right Wing. RSS Linked, or whatever, in no way makes his appointment worth any criticism. He's not a criminal, he's just someone with views different than yours. Or views you consider to be criminal.

It's a law college, a place meant for entirely opposite ideas to engage, a place meant for discourse - Not a circlejerk.
I think most of the criticism here is directed towards his UN position, not the Visiting position. There, it was really a bad decision, RW or not. He was not in the same league as others who had been nominated to that post earlier.
true. The previous members were all experienced lawyers and/or academicians...No disrespect to Aniruddha but he was so young when he was appointed! These circumstances are bound to make any one dig more to find out the truth.
Awesome ! I should do a PhD under him. Can I do a PhD under him ? Does anyone even know which area he focuses on in international law ? Will being his PhD candidate guarantee me a ticket for the 2029 elections ?