Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I am a 3rd year student from a T1 NLU. My grades are pretty average i.e around 70% and I am not able to secure internships. College placement cell won't help because I am not in top 30 of my batch and I don't have connections. How do I secure T1 internships? Also, my CV is pretty average too, though I have few publications in NLU blogs but no moots. What should I do now?
Bump. In the same boat, do share if you figure something lol. Honestly it's v painful how easy some folks have it in this field thanks to contacts etc while those of us without exceptional CVs or contacts aren't given a single chance.
I mean you could just perform in the exams. Hardly unfair that you refuse to put in the hours and hence are ineligible for the rewards.
Bold and might I say condescending assumption right there. Some do give their best but struggle to make it to the top 5%.
I had 0 contacts and I wanted to make it big. I now regret spending so much time over thinking and talking about how others were more privileged. At the end of the wasted time, I had to accept my reality and work with my circumstances and thats when things started work and I gained confidence with every productive thing I did. Things turned out well since I got a T1 PPO last year.
IMO, you definitely have time to turn things around. You need 6 months of hard work to make your CV. Just try and get to learn practical work through internships. Get virtual internships with boutique or T2 firms and your T1 NLU branding will help with that. Try for remote offices of T1 firms, this sure helps. Write papers on subjects that interest you and maybe pursue some online courses to hone your knowledge. Put in the effort. Things wont work if you wait for them to just work on their own.
Out of place comment, but via MHCET I got into Ils, leaving it after the 1st sem for nliu bhopal bscllb. Was it a fair choice considering peers, academics and future placements?
Good or bad, you made your bed, now peacefully lie in it without worrying about things which you cant change. Focus on the opportunities that pop up in present and plan for them. This will save you a lot of unnecessary overthinking and help you get productive.
Hey Nav!

Glad to finally hear from your side. Don't worry, you'll be graduating from one of the top law schools that our country can offer. Banger of a choice indeed! :)
"Get virtual internships with boutique or T2 firms."

Would appreciate if you could drop some names, firms don't seem keen on entertaining virtualships unless you come through reference.
Try offering long term engagements in virtual mode. Obviously, the firm will give preference to an offline candidate. Maybe do a 1 month offline internship and seek a virtual extension once you make an impression. The firm names would depend on the practice area you are interested in. Do some market research and get ahead of your peers.
since you've mentioned buddy, it's your 3rd year, you got enough time. Also by now you've had your fair share at exploring how the law works in India and fields in it. If that's the case, I'd suggest start making your niche, since if you develop a niche early it makes you less vulnerable to rejection from a boutique law firm or a firm specializing in the field of your preference.

In order to expand your knowledge in that field, take up online courses, write blogs or just express your opinion in the form of an article on any recent development in that field of law.
What a first world problem to have. All Tier 1 NLU students can easily secure internships via RCC. Never use contacts. They only destroy you later in your career
Have just completed 3rd year. Applied to certain firms but couldn't secure an internship for summer break, working on some publications for now. Internships done so far have mostly involved litigation. Decent NLU, Above average-ish CV, 0 contacts and non-legal background.

Any suggestions on how to go about next?