Read 45 comments as:
Filter By
Should I switch from NLUD to NLS? Currently in my first year and I'm thinking of writing CLAT again. Got into NLUD in my first attempt. Will the switch be worth it?
Seems like a trollish query to spark another NLS vs NLUD debate. But Iโ€™ll try to be serious about this. It does depend on your personal preferences and reasons for leaving. Even from the very early batches of NLUD (when NLUD was hardly well-established in reputation and some folks claimed it was improbable for it to match older NLUs), I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s been even a single person whoโ€™s got into NLUD and then written CLAT again, and dropped a year, just to get NLS.

Personally, I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s much benefit to losing a year for NLS now. Almost all the opportunities at NLS are available to NLUD students. More importantly, NLS is massively increasing its intake to some 300 students in the 5 year course. While it may not dilute student quality entirely, it would definitely change the NLU experience. And Iโ€™m not even referring to the fact that NLUD doesnโ€™t have local state reservation unlike NLS were people with lesser ranks usually get through.

The one thing advantage of NLS now would be their faculty but with so many students, you may be in a section that doesnโ€™t get the best professors sometimes. I think NLUD also has sections now but the batch size is still small. And NLS students were competing at the top even when itโ€™s faculty wasnโ€™t so good. Also, if youโ€™re in first year now, you wouldโ€™ve joined in 2022 and youโ€™ll be writing CLAT 2024, no? So that means you wouldโ€™ve dropped two years before going to NLS, why would anyone do that? Like I said, sounds very trollish to me.
People drop even 3 years for nlsiu. The point isnโ€™t that. The point it seems so trollish that he is already in NLU-Delhi. Like dropping two years is fine but โ€œfromโ€ NLU-Delhi is not fine
Sorry for the confusion.. I should have written "upcoming first year student" I wrote clat and ailet 2023 and will be joining nlud in july
Thatโ€™s even more suspect, then, since you havenโ€™t even experienced NLUD to decide whether to leave it or stay there. Look, man, we all know youโ€™re trolling. No incoming tier-1 NLU fresher asks these kind of questions since most freshers I know will be relieved to get any tier-1 NLU and see the back of CLAT and AILET for good. But hypothetically, if you have some crazy obsession with NLSIU and canโ€™t imagine being a lawyer who doesnโ€™t graduate from there, then, sure, no harm in taking CLAT again. But like Iโ€™ve already said, the actual advantages will be minimal, if not worse than NLUD now.
Lol, NLUD people now claiming that they are better than NLSIU? In which field exactly? All of your star faculty left the moment they got a call from NLSIU.
Lol, you think they wouldโ€™ve left NLUD if RS was there and Venky was still in charge at NLS? They didnโ€™t leave because of NLS, some left because of alma mater ties but primarily because of the new NLS administration. And honestly, most institutions will go through this phase. NLS didnโ€™t have good faculty for years and hardly nurtured any of their own students as full-time faculty. In any case, itโ€™s not a question of NLUD being better or worse, but an expansion of intake is problematic for various reasons which you would know if you studied in the small batch size NLU vs colleges with hundreds of students.
If you were really joining NLUD, youโ€™d know it always starts in August. Who are you trying to play, kid? Stop wasting everyoneโ€™s time with these disingenuous queries.
yeah u can go for a drop there is a student in the 27 batch who had dropped out of GNLU for NLS
Same story in HNLU, dude in batch 27 reattemptes and was AIR sub-80, got to NLS.
Completely agree.

Treating this as a genuine query, it really depends on what you're aiming for after law school, though it may be too early for you to make this assessment.

Broadly, all T-1 NLUs will offer the same opportunities to you, so dropping a year for NLS won't really make a difference, especially if you're aiming for working in law firms going forward.

For litigation / judiciary, NLUD may be the better option, given you'll get more exposure to the same there. Can't comment too much about NLS on this count though.

The only thing I can imagine would make the change worth it may be if you're planning on shifting to academia, where NLS' alumni network may be of help to you.

TL;DR - there are very, very few situations where switching between any T-1 NLU will be worth it.
Okay this might be controversial but it totally depends on your choice . This year AIR 8 changed his college from NLIU Bhopal to NLSIU. Last to last year , there was one girl from Nujs who reattempted clat for the 2nd time (or 3rd time ?) I guess for NLSIU (I saw her interview on YouTube). But again there are some people who get nlsiu and nlu Delhi in the same attempt and choose to go to the latter . So it totally depends upon you.
The kid attempting for NLS from NLIU isnโ€™t surprising since NLIU seems to be on a terminal decline of some sort. At the very least, they donโ€™t seem to be improving even though they are one of the few NLUs that could potentially compete with tier-1s. Theyโ€™ve also increased their batch size with some BSc LLB and apparently there arenโ€™t enough hostels, etc, to accommodate students.
If you are in first year now, then you would have joined NLUD in 2022, and are planning to write CLAT 2024 to join NLS in 2024. Why didn't you write CLAT 2023? No one in their right minds would drop 2 years for a switch that many people won't even consider a real upgrade. So no, the switch won't be worth it. But you're mostly trolling since no one who comes to NLUD drops a year for NLS.
Exactly , if it was from GNLU or HNLU , I would have understood . But dropping 2 years from NLU-D is just ๐Ÿ˜‚
Controversial/troll-bait. Yet, in my year, I know at least 3 people at NLUD who wrote CLAT again for NLS.
Why do you want to switch? The tier 1 NLUs are pretty similar so you will only be wasting your time.
The top 4 being...NLS, NLUD, NALSAR and NUJS.

The top 4 are the only tier 1 NLUs is pretty much the general consensus.

As much as i dislike NUJS for its massive political interference and pathetic campus, the place makes up fro it with their placements and has a good lot of quality students.
The campus being right in the middle of the city and having access to all the amenities nearby does compensate to some extent for its small size though. Before the metro route started, going to Nagarbhavi was a nightmare. Going to Samirpet still is.
Buddy, CLAT is already over and happened in December for 2023 batch. Your query is atleast 4 months too late. So you'll spend 2 years at NLUD to get NLS in 2024? LOL. Oh wait, it doesn't even seem genuine since hardly anyone is โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ enough to drop a year (forget two years) from NLUD just to get NLS. No one has done that in the past and no one is likely to do it in the future.
Whatโ€™s with the constant use of Hinglish while typing here? From GNLU to NLS is an upgrade since while GNLU is considered a tier-1 on some levels, the opportunities at NLS plus their brand name and faculty, etc, are much better. Not to mention the batch size is similar so the peer group interactions at NLS would be overall better. The same doesnโ€™t hold true for NLUD to NLS (surprising since it is actually younger than GNLU). Thereโ€™s a reason why people at NLUD never take the CLAT again to drop a year for any other law school.
The last statement is not true. I know several people from NLUD who have sat for CLAT, though I don't know anyone who got through to NLSIU.
You know several people? Lol, sorry, but no, you donโ€™t. I think I know the place a little better than you do, man. Name even two people who took the CLAT again, forget whether they left or not. Hell, if Mod wonโ€™t allow names then atleast list the years when they took it. No one takes the exam again because most people realise who get NLUD and study there realise that itโ€™s pretty decent, and that other tier-1s wonโ€™t be much of an upgrade.
None left, did they? One did get into NLS in 2019 but didnโ€™t leave for it.
So you agree to the fact that they had written the exam. There can be numerous reasons for not leaving but the fact that they wrote clat again indicates that they wanted to switch to NLS
Nope. Some people write the exam without any intention to switch. There may be 1 or 2 otherwise. I can name atleast 2 folks I know that left NLS after a year there to join NLUD. Maybe just to get an ego boost of getting a good CLAT rank or prove to oneself that they can get a high rank. In 2020, with the COVID lockdown, I know quite a few people from even places like NUJS who wrote the exam for fun especially since there was even some NLAT fiasco. The fact that no one has switched is evidence enough that no one takes it seriously.
Your points are spot on except the fact that โ€œwith the constant use of Englishโ€ - dude come on ๐Ÿคจ
If you really want to do it , do it. But make sure you have a really valid to drop 2 years for NLS. I have seen people from majority Tier-2/Tier-3 even giving a triple drop for nlsiu. But the second drop from nlu Delhi might not make sense , unless you have a valid reason
First score enough marks to get into MLS and then think about whether you should switch or not. It's laughable to think of these things when you haven't even written the exam and are still 'thinking' that you should write it again.
Exactly Lmao - people think they could nlsiu if they โ€˜justโ€™ sit for it. There was also a thread where there was this guy behaving as if he can easily make the switch from Gnlu to nlsiu(if he wanted to). Focus on your clat lmao
Lol I missed NLS this year by a few ranks..it isn't as hard as y'all make it appear...
It is easier to crack NLS these days since they have many quotas (Karnataka domicile, OBC, EWS, etc.) and batch size increase means all the CLAT top 100-110 have a shot. But 4-5 years ago, when they admitted only 80 kids, you needed a top 50-60 rank in CLAT for NLS. Back then it was a tough nut to crack since seats were so few and you had to have had a very good day in the exam to crack it. That was tough for most people.
Imagine missing NLS even after the increased batch-size. You wouldn't even make it to NUJS if the batch size was 80
A 47-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.