Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
Hello, just gave CLAT this year and with my rank I'm getting into rmlnlu( I messed up my preference list ) and I'm planning to get into HNLU through vacancies. I had doubts regarding the overall campus and environment.

1) After the removal of Sukhpal Singh how are things progressing?

2)Should I stick with RML or would it be wise to switch to HNLU?

3)Is the overall environment improving under VCV or is it still the same?

4) How are placements? Saw the latest placement brochure and see several T1 law firm placements, so is the trend going to improve consistently?

5) How is the "crowd" and the overall academic scene( I'm well aware about the mooting scene :D)

6) Would being in Raipur have a locational disadvantage?

7) Lastly, could I expect the campus to get better over the years? I've heard reports and comments of it making into the "Tier 1" colleges, though I do not endorse them, I would just like to know its growth trajectory for the next coming years.

This is my first question here so please don't mind if I have done any mistake or so in typing as I'm not sure how one would have to ask a question here :))
Bro, avoid HNLU if you can. Jindal, Symbi and even Bennett are better options.
I'm really sorry but how exactly is Symbi and Bennet comparatively better? I can understand JGLS to a certain extent but I've heard terrible things from students currently studying in Symbi and Bennet and advise me to only choose it when all other options are out of hand. Kindly do reply with some factual backing as I might be wrong
Don't be dissuaded by these trolls lmao, even replying to them is a huge waste of time (been there, done that).

1. Things have been shaky ngl. (There have been 2 incidents of protests against admin this year itself)

2. HNLU seems a notch above in corporate placements, everything else is more or less the same.

3. The students claim that it's improving but only time will tell.

4. Yeah, placements are growing each year but you should be mindful of the batch size of 180 students while accessing the number of students placed.

5. I Can't answer this one with credible sources but I've heard that the overall crowd is mixed (most of them being diligent).

6. Yes, if you're from a metro city then obviously you would feel a bit disconnected but the university manages to provide all the essentials from a physician, stationary and mental counseling to transportation to the city.

7. I don't think so. T-1 NLU does not have a definitive meaning, but let's assume that it's an NLU that manages to place 90% of its batch comfortably. For that to happen, HNLU has to focus on: a) The student intake quality (which is in decline for the past few years due to domicile cut-off decreasing year by year.)

b) The faculty (GNLU also has a similar scenario, but despite that, it manages to place most of its students, which suggests that even with a weaker pool of students as compared to other T-1 NLUs it performs similarly or even better in some cases)

And lastly, I'll also be joining HNLU so we might as well catch up sometime!
Thank you for your objective comments on each of my questions!! Really means a lot and cleared most of my doubts regarding the college. Hope to see you in HNLU too!! I'll be getting in through vacancies though so Maybe July or August is when we'd really meet 😊
Hey, I would like to know what you meant by (GNLU also has a similar scenario) as I am getting GNLU with my rank, would want to know how the faculty is.
I think u not have to suggest Bennett which even not able to stand with hnlu
After VCV to over, things improved just a bit for an extremely short while, and post that it's no less than a jail with academics going down the drain as well. I'll write a detailed answer if you say so. But please avoid this NLU if you could.
Is this regarding the rules set by the administration for library timings, hostel vacancy etc or is there more to it?
Below NLIU the NLUs don't have anything to offer. You are now in God's mercy and would need to work extremely extremely hard to land a job. I would personally have reappeared for CLAT. Only the top 7 NLUs matter after that it's all based on luck.
Yes, I do plan to attempt CLAT once again but its better to have a good college backing you up rather than taking a drop right? CLAT is pretty unpredictable as of now and God knows which direction the next year's paper would go, hence my reason for getting into the T2s.
HNLU is definitely better than RMLNLU in terms of placement. RMLNLU's placement scene has become better in recent years, but that's only due to the students and their own work - the college admin or RCC/IPC will be useless and only look out for themselves

Go for HNLU if at all possible. If your aim is UPSC/judiciary, then stick with RMLNLU
I do plan on taking an LLM abroad after completing my UG. Though UPSC has always been on my mind and its always been a dream to be part of the IFS, I'm still unsure on whether to do it right after UG or do it after my LLM. Thank you for your feedback!
Congratulations on your CLAT performance. I'll state this at the outset: RML and HNLU are roughly at the same level and there will be little, if any, difference in the resources and opportunities available to you at either institute. Any comparison is likely to be influenced by conscious/unconscious biases, so treat everything with skepticism and try to distill out objective pointers.

AFAIK, HNLU has a slightly better alumni base and it still ranks above RML in traditional rankings; I do know a few people who left RML for HNLU in spot vacancies. As to how advantageous a shift that is, I cannot say.

HNLU does have steadily improving placements, with several PPOs and campus placements at T1 and T2 firms along with in-house roles and prestigious LLM offers. Overall, for HNLU I'd say while it's not a T1 school yet, if you are diligent and persevering, you have very good opportunities available. I don't know how the placement figures compare to RML, but the same is likely to be true for it as well and I do know people from there who went on to do very well.

I think I speak for both places when I say that the general atmosphere is quite relaxed and it is up to the student to keep up with academics.

Being in Raipur does not pose any locational disadvantage.

As to whether things are improving under VCV, well, things are definitely getting better in all measurable metrics: faculty recruitments, alumni relations, industry relations, outreach programmes, new initiatives (credit courses with external faculty from India and abroad, mental health support/free counselling via YourDost etc). There are general internal issues but let's not get into that, that's quite irrelevant.

The one advantage I see at RML, which sometimes makes me wonder if I should've gone there instead, is that you can choose your Arts major. At HNLU, everyone has to major in Political Science. At RML, you get to choose out of Psychology, Sociology and Economics. This may not be of any significance to students committed to becoming lawyers, but it was a big deal to me.

But when doing this thought experiment, of whether I'd have been better off at RML, I also consider that at RML, the students can be a little more.... boisterous. Take this with a pinch of salt because this is based purely on anecdotes I've heard, but yeah we heard that ragging etc is/was a little more intense at RML. Again, this was anecdotal, may not be representative of the student body as a whole. And it's not like HNLU is much more pious. So yeah.

Whether you ultimately end up in RML or HNLU, I will say this: while the gap is shrinking, some very material differences do remain between T1 and T2 NLUs. So make sure you work hard and, very importantly, stay abreast of opportunities available. Things you can do, things you can work towards. There are several things kids at NALSAR and NLS had been doing since ages that we never found out about/never thought we could do. Remote research assistantships under eminent scholars from abroad, prestigious competitions (Jean Pictet etc), interning at firms in UK, Singapore, Korea etc and ultimately getting training contracts.
Thank you for the thoughtful review! Did give me a jist of what I could expect in HNLU! I did hear comments of ragging in RML which was why I thought about keeping my options with HNLU. I've heard the library there is one of the best, is this true?
HNLU does have a great library, yes, and we also got remote access in 2019, with the e-resources increasing every year. It's definitely a lot bigger and better than a lot of other NLU libraries I saw in my time, idk if it's the best tho.

Also, on reflection I think that HNLU does generally have slightly better placements than RML, but it's best if you were to check the figures yourself.

I also saw someone recommend SLS and Bennett over HNLU. Bennett is LEAGUES below HNLU. SLS-Pune may be comparable, but it's my opinion that HNLU is still better, especially considering the huge difference in the course fee. Jindal is the only private university you should ever consider, it at least offers something for the money it charges. But it is dogged by its own set of problems, so don't be swayed by the fancy marketing. Remember, JGLS spends heavily on marketing, NLUs don't.
If you want to experience a cut throat corporate vibe then HNLU, but if not corporate then RML for sure, placements wise it's good, and the growth trajectory is going upwards only, thanks to VCV.

Locational disadvantage you'll definitely have but only in terms of it being located in remote area, but the environment is always super beautiful, but in comparison to rml it's decent only.

People are good, if you are good to them.

Administration is a little fucked up, but study wise it's okay, and far better than RML in that aspect.

These are all coming from a current 5th year student who has seen it all, from Sukhpal's Administration which legit downcasted everything to VCV's Administration who is trying to build HNLU a cut throat IP+Corp vibe institution.

Overall it's a beautiful experience.
Thank you so much, I was kind of stressed with the location part but I think I can manage with it. Just hoping for the administration to continue with the progress. Is the hostel vacancy every year going to pose a problem to me? I live in Mumbai and felt that having to move your things every now and then might prove to be a logistics problem
Why is having a 'cut throat vibe' a positive thing for an educational institution? You don't need to bring others down in order to learn. Education is not a zero sum game.
He nonsensical lawyer how can we connect..

I am in the same situation as you are ..
1. Yes things improved. The main issues with Sukhpal were discriminatory in time and some harassment complaints and allegations of corruption.

2. I personally upgraded from Rml to hnlu. No regrets.

3. Environment is better. A bit strict and more focus on academics now a days.

4.Placements for last 2 yrs have been good. Can't comment on future though.

5. Crowd is good. Most people are chilled out. Seniors are cooperative and friendly. Academics is good and improving. Attendance has become strict though compared to previous yrs.

6. Nope. Decent city. Campus is in naya raipur on the outskirts. Great weather , good scenery , peaceful. Daily buses to and fro to city available. Good dhabas nearby.

7. Can't comment on the future.