Read 25 comments as:
Filter By
I’m an A0. I have recently joined a law firm and am sick of my job already. I see the same reaction with everyone who joined firms with me. Is there anyone who loves their job?! If yes, what do you do?
not a human being
I always thought - who in this world would like to spend their time buried in uninteresting bull shit, when there are so many interesting subjects to study?
I believe your real question is - does anyone like there job, and if it is - what is it that makes you like it?

Difficult to state since different things work for different people. But at least in the initial months, it’s much more difficult because you are absolutely new and you have no idea what’s going on. You may make the effort to pick up on things, but unless your seniors are briefing you and giving you proper background to matters you’re on, you’ll probably be lost. Sometimes, even after being told, you’ll need information to be repeated to you because you are not used to working with such matters.

I like to think it’s like escape velocity- there’s a lot of resistance initially, but once you reach a certain height, the resistance of gravity falls away. You’ll still have to avoid the rocks in space, but if you hang around long enough, you’ll probably even reach for the stars. It will take hard work and sacrifice, but after a while when you start getting it, you’ll notice the nuances in different matters you work on, you’ll notice your ability to grasp things better. And that’s what will make all the difference.
Hi A0, I started off absolutely loathing my job and even resigned as an A1 but was forced to stay back due to personal financial reasons. Over time I grew to see the value I generate both as a lawyer and a dealmaker, and it's led to be very proud of the work I do, even when it gets tough or calls for sacrifices I don't like making. Once you find pride in your work, you'll enjoy working.
Your semi-colons gave it away. You're definitely T1. If you were from Wachtell then you would have used periods after each work.

Partner. Wachtell. M&A. Love. Mah. Jawb.
Hate it all the time except when I get the salary credit message and when a deal is closed feel a rush.
HAHAha who in this world likes doing what they do? in the reality of their job conditions?
Its mostly financial sustenance, or importance and name( civil services, politics)
In my first 2 years, I was so clueless, every meeting was an occasion to feel anxious and nervous and an imposter.
In my next 2 years, I started getting praises occasionally because if nothing else, I had speed with me, because I was young and fast and without any worries.
In my next 2 years, I started noticing patterns and the repetitive nature of things I was handling. It made me question many things. It made me feel I hit the wall. I did a lot of soul searching. Tried thinking alternate ways of living to get out of the rut. I started feeling irritable. I wanted to find my place in the pecking order. I started throwing my weight around to find the anchor that sets in.
In my next 2 years, started realizing that unknowingly, for all these years, I had acquired a formidable vastness of practical and industrial knowledge, which my clients started finding useful. Their reactions made it clear to me that now I possess something useful that can make a real world difference.

Now that I know things, know people, know business, know the market - it feels like a game. That's when things get exciting. I absolutely enjoy playing work like a chess-board. In my own way, I am influencing industry practices.
I like my job and the work that I do but what I don't like is the firm's atmosphere at my T1. I wish my job was still WFH but it's not. I would have loved my job if it was wfh to escape firm toxicity.
I like my jobs. Many people like their jobs. But I went into it with both eyes open knowing what to expect. I approach each day eager to learn new things and have now gained enough credibility among clients and colleagues to be considered somewhat of an expert at what I do. I generally think my colleagues are okay people doing their best- if somewhat selfish. But that’s okay. You don’t get everything in life and that’s that.
I fail to understand how so many corporate lawyers hate their job and still work all the time.It is not possible and I think people often lie when they tell they hate their jobs.
The same way students would say 'oh I haven't prepared at all', but end up scoring A grade in their law exams.