Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
What is the scope of SEBI law officers who quit their jobs (after gaining substantial experience) to start a career in corporate law firms? Are corporate law firms really looking for such talent? Are they given some preference in capital markets team?
I doubt this helps but I've met two folks who used to work at SEBI and then joined ELP, this was back when I was interning with a securities team in 2018. So there may be scope. All the best!
Second-hand information: most shifts from SEBI to law firms are of those with 2 or 3 years (or thereabouts) experience with SEBI. A lot depends on the department of SEBI you've worked in. Even within this band of experience, law firms (especially T1) often assign only 50% weight to the experience.
So, hypothetically speaking if a sebi employee is tired of the slow growth trajectory (coz I've heard the promotions and the increments do take somewhere bw 5-7 years) and wants a switch. So, what are the best options available to him?
very few firms in very less teams
bettet to be in sebi and enjoy life and respect
Bhai! What life and what respect! If you get stuck without promotion for 12 to 14 years and do the same work (after 17 to 18 years of work) which a fresher is also doing…. Then respect from whom?

There are people whose batchmates have got equity in BigLaw but they are stuck in a growth less loop only because of lack of reasonable career progression….

Slowly you just get marinated in your mediocrity because of the rust that you acquire…..
I don't believe that professional growth is everyone's priority. I would personally chose a job that let's me sleep well and enjoy other hobbies. Work is just a part of life. There are other, more important things.
Hardly 2-4% employee's at every organization may chants that "professional growth is not their priority" but until they know its benefit & Once they know, all peaceful sleep/hobbies and other works will be thrown in the dustbin.

Simple -

Job w/o progression is like life w/o aim
If you are jumping from SEBI to a Corporate Law Firm - you are either extremely money minded, intelligent/competent or utterly stupid.

SEBI at least for Legal Officers is an incredibly lucrative job. There are many Judicial Services toppers across India who are still writing SEBI law officer exam.

I am a judicial Officer in rural maharashtra - I have friends in law firms, chambers and all government offices. I will tell you why nobody moves from SEBI -

1. Insane Salaries - Starting salary for a fresher (CTC) is far far more than a Judicial Officer and even top law firms (18LPA)

This salary over the years can go upto 40LPA - all inclusive.

2. MUMBAI - forever in Mumbai. Imagine? Most Government jobs have harsh transfers all across India. Most of SEBI Legal work is done in Mumbai. Same office.

As a Judicial Officer - living in Mumbai is a dream come true. Most of your life is wasted in rural Tier 9 towns.

3. Career - you can go almost till the top in SEBI.

You will get extremely interesting and complicated work.

As a judicial Officer mostly you will end up as a PDJ. HC/SC Judgeships are almost reserved for the likes of Chandrachud's, Narimans, Lalita and other big family names. Initial 10 years of your judicial Officer life you will be stuck up with stupic cases and dumbest lawyers.

4. Work Life - Obviously 100 times better than at a law firm. SEBI is a 10 to 5 job. I have heard it's more convenient than even a Judicial Officers job.

+ STABILITY - Salary till 60, as long as you yourself is not a fraud. You won't be fired.

So

My POV, I WON'T understand why should people even leave a sebi law officer job.
Have heard a few names of those who exited SEBI and started Hardcore boutique Securities Litigation law firms.
Don't misguide others with your poor understanding. Your points are totally funny that SEBI is better than Judicial Service as well as T1law firms jobs.

3 collegeous & 2 seniros at our Mumbai office are Ex- SEBIANs. Also I know few from legal industries who were SEBI'N but left & joined PCS-J. So, either you r lying yourself as Judicial Officer or you r a SEBI aspirant.

I myself working in T1 law firm. My objections are on these points -

1. Insane salary - Except private practice no other legal sector gives you INSANE salary even firms. But comparing among them then I can arrange in these order

T1 firms > Judicial Service > SEBI

At T1 - Package ranges from 14 to 17 + Bonous (in India)

At Judicial Service - Basic min. Rs.77840 goes upto Rs. 1,24,930 after 17yr at Junior Division (after revision) & DA ranges from 30% onward + perks = overall package comes b/w min. 12-14 (with perks)

At SEBI - Basic min. Rs.44500 goes upto Rs.89150 after 17yr at Grade A level (after revision) +DA @31% + All perks = overall package 10 L (with acco.) & 13 L (w/o acco.) fixed

Also, in judicial service your package goes beyond 40L in DJ (Selection Grade or STS) after 2nd NJPC (read out your salary table sir 🀣) while in T1 firms better not to discuss πŸ˜‚

2. Mumbai - Agree in regard to Judicial Service but not everyone dream to stay longer in Mumbai so if one want to move have only option to leave SEBI but NA in case of law firms.

Here I can rate - All Firms > SEBI > Judicial Service

3. Career - In no job you'll get top position easily even in firms. Promotions are based on many factors. Even in SEBI there are number of officers who got retired or will retire w/o ended up to the Top (research).

Also in HCs only 2/3rd seats are for direct appointment (what u called them as big family or Nepo) rest 1/3rd is reserved for District Judiciary through promotions. So if you join service on time and judicial career history is good and suitable then have very high chance to become HC Judge. Nepo can only be appointed on fixed seats not beyond that either in HC or SC.

Here all are equal.

4. Work life - Agree with both points in regard to law firms min. we have to seat till 8 PM but

(A) don't understand how convenient than Judicial Service ? May be occasionally have to seat which is normal in every job.

(B) Does you don't get paid in Judicial Service till 60 ? & your are claiming you are a Judicial officer🀣.

Also In Judicial Service you get pension benefits either NPS or Old Pensions depend in which state you are but no such benefit in SEBI.

Here, Judicial Service > SEBI > Law Firms

SO

Conclusion is your research is Poor. That is why many leave SEBI.

THANKS
Unfortunately they didn't have PAN WALA as an advisor to give his PAN WALA level of gyan after pursing law & spending hard earned money of their parents. So they join govt or private legal services.

Their poor advisors suggest to invest 40L on fixed assests like purchasing luxury home in high class societies + DECENT CAR + saving for future.

Modi Ji be like - Kaun kehta India mai gareebi hai. Ye dekho hmare naujbaan ko law krne ke baad pan bech rhe wo v BMW / Rolls Roys se aa rahe. πŸ˜‚
A 7-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.