Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I'm a 2022 batch who has secured a placement offer with a Tier-1 Firm. Have read all of the conversations about the work culture, but due to personal and financial reasons have no choice but to work for the initial few years at least.
Could anyone provide any recommendations on how to prepare for the administrative responsibilities or other additional stuff which one might encounter in their transition from a student to an A0? As an intern, I was only made to submit a timesheet with minimal details, and the associates were always too busy to ask about stuff like this.
To put it simply, what are the main challenges an A0 faces (apart from adjusting to a lack of social life and making work their life) when transitioning from a student to an associate role? Any other tips which you might, in hindsight, wished you knew when starting out (apart from "don't do it")?
Someone, please?
P.s.- I hope LI is flooded with more such enriching threads in the coming months apart from the usual "Corp law life sucks..." comments.
hey guys, i will be joining my new job at a T1 after my last semester in college. I have no friends and pretty much non-existent social life anyway so wanted to ask how to prepare myself for my job as i literally have nothing better to do?

I would like to know how and what to read as a prospective GC or M&A lawyer, thank you
how did you ever get a tier 1 job without good connections? you must have stellar grades
i had good grades, good publications and semi-decent internships. other than that i also got lucky.
Lol, if you're from a T1 NLU then getting a job in T1 firm isn't that difficult. Absolute morons, stoners get a job in Day Zero. Infact, as far I remember most people who want a job in T1 firm, gets one.
Great initiative on your part to start thinking about these points well in advance. You should consider the following:

1) Timesheets: Follow the schedule set out by your firm. However, my advice will be to record your time everyday (if possible.) You should also track how much time are you spending doing each of the assignments and how you can bring it down over a period of time..

2) Patience: Develop this skill. Work, boss, colleagues, clients, opposite counsel, counterparty etc. will test your patience one way or another. While it is easier said than done, try to ensure that you are calm and not getting agitated. When I say calm, I am also suggesting working on your listening skills. Listen to other side (which can be seniors, peers in your firm) and then decide if their point/argument has a logic and answer basis your logic. Another important sub-point here is, whenever any assignment is given to you, take your time, ask your queries and clear your doubt before giving it to your senior. A well thought out work product is far better and appreciated than a 2 minute noodle.

3) English: Spend time on your writing skills. Broadly, you will be drafting emails/memos and legal documents such as agreements, resolutions, notices etc. Each has an unique drafting style. Spend sometime understanding these. I am not sure if there is a good reading material available for this, but if there is, please read it (and share the link here for the benefit) of others.