Read 190 comments as:
Filter By
Surprised to see how little info is out there about Tushar Mehta's family history. Looks like he is truly a first gen.
Well u draft so dexterly no doubt u have created substance in urself to be deserving enough to get everything that u r getting.
Knew about Mr. Datar, heard/ read about that often.

If what you've stated about Mr. Sathe is true, thanks for that information. He's truly inspirational!
As a law student, I wanted to ask you how much time does it take to earn decent amount? (i.e around 50k/month, so that you don't have to worry about money anymore)
Please elaborate. You're the only person here who thinks so. You can't just make a statement of this sort and disappear.
Same lie being peddled again. Everybody who works with KKV doesn't become his nephew.
Ever wondered why Sid Aggarwal has been pasted outside Court 2 of SC ever since he got designated? It's because his relative is the presiding judge inside. Yes, that's right. Let's see how often he is there after this week when the judge retires.
Was he not a son in law of an IAS officer who was Secretary level in Central government and then NCDRC member. Did that not help?
Why don't you guys see whose courtroom in SC Sidhharth and Rajshekhar are seen in on a weekly basis? One of them is related to the judge from Civil Lines and the other tags along as best buddy. ▮▮▮ ▮▮▮.
Katju and Guruswamy are outliers in this example. Both had/have major political connects which helped them with clients and climb up the ladder. Read up on KN, Markandey and Vivek Katju.
Can I have the contact details of Adv. Debesh Panda, please?

Thanks in advance.
His nicety is a front. Join his chambers and get to know the man from inside.
It's just me. No more discussion. I am the Best advocate in world. You guys can stop arguing
Trideep Pais, the Senior Advocate, appears to have been overlooked in this list.
No, Mr. Datar was not connected with Mr. Palkivala . but he just followed him .
Yeah, have met him too. He is a very jolly person. I think I also saw his name in the SCBA Recommendations for High Court Judges as well.
Abbey, O, Linguist ke ch*de, we all have understood what "self-made" is here. We may not probably define it but we can simply look and say who is "self-made" and who is not.
Jayna Kothari? Didn't come from a legal background as far as I know. and her parents didn't make their fortune till she was nearly an adult. She has certainly made her mark in litigation.
VB is not self-made by any stretch of imagination. Simply not having a lawyer as a parent does not amount to being self-made. In addition, his actual success as a lawyer is still somewhat debatable.
I can't believe no one is talking about Vikramjeet Banerjee. He is a first-generation lawyer and is today ASG at the SC.
I am your fan now! I want to get into litigation but their is so much negativity around it.
Jayant Mehta s from Madhya Pradesh. His dad is a trial court lawyer in MP. Very humble background.

[...]
He had modest beginnings and continues to have modest achievements...
Dude Tanmay Mehta's father was HMJ Valmiki Mehta, a Justice of the Delhi High Court. Where are you getting your information from??
Padh ke likh bhai. S Aggarwal had family in Delhi, RR and JM don't - they're from Andhra and Gujarat respectively. Please don't spew fake stuff.
You're completely wrong - Google search toh kar ke likh bhai. RR was never ASC for Delhi Govt., he was Standing Counsel for the Delhi High Court (Administrative Side) from 2012 till designated as a Senior.
He is an absolute gem of a person and a brilliant lawyer with solid, solid integrity. Having said that, might be useful to recall that he comes from old wealth going back a few generations in Calcutta.
Sanjay Hegde, Senior Advocate. I have heard that he came from really modest beginnings.
Can you tell more about Aman's work? Does he take juniors? Had briefed him once and he was excellent, but apart from that there isn't much about him on the internet or in the general court chatter - probably owing to his focus on arbitration work.
Sanjoy Ghose, just was designated as a senior. Yes, was Indira ma'am's junior, but self-made, and moved to Delhi from Kolkata after law.
Aman is a great lawyer, but come on. One of his parents has a Padma Vibhushan, and the other had a Padma Bhushan. He's probably the most connected person on this page.
Because BJP habitually subverts the law and Constitution? Does that answer your question?
Majority of the names have people - really close people on the top, to pull them up. By no means self-made.
Why is it that when a lawyer is a BJP supporting one, there are so many downvotes? Are we not then guilty of the same lack of liberal values and intolerance that we accuse them of? The man is a good lawyer, he’s self-made. It answers the question.
You do know that Shivam Singh’s father is one of Bihar’s most sought after lawyers, and an AOR? But nevertheless, talent shines through even when the father is someone notable. You can’t discount people’s talent because they have some pedigree.
Because it had merely produced 3-4 batches. Traditional Law Colleges (such as, especially, Delhi University) were all the rage.
Aman Ahluwalia, Arjun Harkauli, Nikhil Singhvi, Samar Bansal, Debesh Panda, Samiksha Godiyal.....superb lawyers, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet.
By 1994, NLSIU had already produced at least 3-4 batches. Why would it have been bizarre?
Tripping much? Isn't Karan Lahiri's dad a very successful lawyer? Isn't Basant's dad a senior? And Shivam Singh kaun hai...?
Dislikes are for his ultra-right wing views - Manusmriti should become the law of the land, etc. etc.
Otherwise he is a good lawyer - of his own making, successful too.
GSanks is the nephew of KK Venugopal, and the grand-nephew of MK Nambiar. His is also the son of a former Chief Secretary of Karnataka. In what world is that self-made?
His dad was big businessman. His family has senior army folks. His school network is also elite. No way is he self made in the true sense. But yes, his family doesn't have lawyers or judges. But that bar for self-made cannot be that low.
....som mandal, sangeeta mandal, sudhir mishra, mamta tiwari ........go-to lawyers
Not sure, but he was a junior of Sr. Adv. Parag Tripathi and is close to him
Bhai his dad was engaging KKV for cases - enough said about the connections / privilege.
Did Dushyant Dave have a godfather or is he self made too ?

I believe A.A. Khanwilkar J., too is from very modest beginnings. Can someone confirm ?
You've missed Karan Lahri, Vrinda Bhandari, Shivam Singh, Raghenth Basant, Jayant Mehta.... this list of self-made notable notables from NLSIU can go on and on and on.
Isn’t JM’s dad or someone very close a well-known lawyer at the Delhi High Court?
Someone mentioned prior to this thread that Sondhi is an alumnus of an elite school, which has produced quite a lot of lawyers and judges, afaik.
Amit Sibal, Akhil Sibal, Rohinton Nariman, Zia Mody, Krishnan Venugopal, A M Singhvi, Dhananjay Chandrachud
Wtf is this. Sab hi ka baap koi nikal jaata hai. Can’t a normal middle class guy do anything???? And then they wonder why we choose corporate law.
This list is a joke - Rajshekhar Rao, yes, but it'll be a stretch to call most of the others "self-made" when they come from such influential and well connected families - especially GS, SS, DK, and ST (the backgrounds of whom I am personally aware of).
mr. datar, what an incredible gem ! very grounded and makes it a point to make interns comfortable. The stipend for the interns is a handsome 15k in a not so expensive place like Madras.
Tanmaya Mehta's late father was a HC judge. His FIL is a CJI turned RS member. So...

Even some others here are not strictly from a legal background but they come from a place incredible privilege.. offspring of civil servants / diplomats etc
Sarcasm, right?...Other than Rajshekhar Rao, Sid Aggarwal and Dayan, everyone on that list is super connected.
Tanmay Mehta is Late Justice Valmiki Mehta's son. How is he self made?
It will uske you literally one Google search to know their pedigree. Most of these people are exceptional lawyers, but nobody has had to face half the struggles of a first Gen lawyer from an average family background.

Regards C ghul j
It is WAY more than 36LPA bruh.

Most of these people charge at least 1L+ per hearing. Even if they attend two hearings a day, which is a conservative estimate, they make about more than 36L per month.
sheyel trehan is promoter group of fortis. her father owns medanta
gopla subramanian is nephew of kkvenugopal
Anand Varma - from the 2008 NLU-J Batch. Look him up if you don't believe me.
Is this a joke? Please just google who Mr Sarna and Miss Guruswamy's fathers are
Lol Katjus daughter and Mohan Guruswamys daughter couldn’t possibly qualify as self made. They’re good - they’re just not self made.
Umm. Juniors at the Bar can make much (much!) more than 36 lakhs if they get a foothold. For top lawyers, making 36 lakhs a week (actually, a day, in some cases) will be more of a realistic estimate.
I am a first year law student.

These are top lawyers who are young. How much would they be making an year?

Will it be more than 36 Lakhs?
Why this hate?

[...] is an inspiration for every junior law students like us.
is LinkedIn a supreme court of Social Media?
does presence over there mean anything, i mean for people other than 1st year student
That guy's posts on LinkedIn are so annoying [...]

1. And I have no clue
2. why he writes
3. in numbered lists
4. when he could be writing like a normal person
Rajshekhar Rao, from what I know, is 100% self made. Even Gopal Sankaranarayanan, Siddharth Aggarwal, Satyajit Sarna, Tanmya Mehta, Anitha Shenoy, Arundhati Katju, Menaka Guruswamy, Diya Kapur, Shyel Trehan and Dayan Krishnan. There are so many examples!
There is nobody in Delhi who has made it independently of their own without the support or blessing of an established name. It is just not possible. legal circle is too tight knit.
Arvind Datar. Father was a merchant navy officer. No legal connections whatsoever. The man has reached close to the very top. And retains his humility - has not let success get to his head.
This might act as a motivation/eye-opener for aspiring litigators. Also, if any biography is made on them, you can share; it could be a good read.