Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
All the talk of opening offices reminds me of the ubiquitous superficiality in personal interactions in law firms. I still remember the constant judgment and scrutiny I experienced as an A0 regarding the way I dressed and what bag I carried. People in office would scan you from head to toe and not even be subtle about it. Even had a SA comment on how I must be saving a lot since 'you clearly don't spend on clothes'. It wasn't as if I wore the same thing to office everyday, its just that I thought I had sufficient clothes and wanted to get maximum wear out of them.
I get that you're supposed to look polished and professional (considering the long seminars you're put through on that topic in orientation) but I feel the judgment that comes your way is a bit much. Has it always been this way in law firms?
Would you say this is something about Law firms or something that came as part of the shift from blue collar to white collar jobs i.e. from manufacturing --> services. Honestly believe that this doesn't have anything to do with law firms. The whole white collar culture is filled with this. It is attached with the idea of 'skilled-workers' who have the space to spend their salary unlike the blue collar workers who live hand to mouth. Once that idea exists, it becomes a mandate and you are the odd one out if you are not spending on...entirely...luxury goods.

Its quite insane that way if you if travel backwards from the law firm culture to culture in law schools. You had a higher degree of freedom with regard to who you hang out with, what you wear, what you eat and how you talked...just general life (sure, these things were restricted by your class, caste)...than you do at law firms where all the things that you have highlighted are objects of judgment. You start self regulating, so to speak. Entrepreneurial selfs.
Law firms especially some Tier1s with family silver spoons are just horribly uppity.Its bad enough with the toxic work politics and culture,but gets worse when you have braggart promoters.Suddenly everyone is supposed to wear/carry Gucci or Prada or LV or down snob brand.They won't even stop at comments of how you are being paid well enough then why not spend a little to maintain the FIRM's image.
Have felt this quite a bit at internships, sometimes people can't just relax. Was thankful for online internships in the later part for this reason.
I think it depends on the firm and location you're in (I think some of the Delhi offices may be worse in this regard given, well, Delhi), but what I've seen being universal is fancy eyewear (Tom Ford being the latest fad), watches, cufflinks and ties. Symbols of prosperity that you can immediately see, in short.

A lot of it I suppose is driven by the high consumption economy we inhabit, with these symbols being compensation for the hours of overwork and no form of engagement outside of work. "If I have to do 18 hour workdays, might as well do it wearing an Hermes tie." It is perhaps the same in most high-earning industries (investment banks, PE houses, consultancies). Another reason I can think of is that law firms have a strong nouveau riche crowd across cities, and the high compensation law firms offer drives the desire to conspicuously consume high value luxury items to 'look' wealthy or polished. Since more traditional forms of wealth display (playing golf, memberships in elite clubs like Gymkhana, DGC, fancy schooling, having Lutyens / SoBo besties) are not forthcoming, this form of display satiates the need to tell the world that you're rich too.

That said, bullying someone or passing comments for what brand etc they choose to wear / accessorize with a straight out dick move, and should be called out as such. Do what you like with your money, but don't tell me what I should do with mine.
I can still understand keeping up appearance if you're meeting clients or going to court. I honestly don't know the point of being impeccably dressed to sit in a soulless cubicle for 16 hours. I reckon I can stare at Outlook and pull my hair in jeans and tshirt as well.
This culture is especially weird because truly wealthy people will never be caught dead wearing anything with a visible logo (unless the brand is paying them to endorse). Law firms seem to encourage conspicuous consumption because "hey we've given you crippling depression but at least you got a gucci laptop bag out of it"
Quote:
unless the brand is paying them to endorse
Don't confuse "truly wealthy" with famous. :)
Well, Kim Kardashian/Oprah are billionaires but I bet they rakes many moolah for endorsements. If being a billionaire isn't truly wealthy I don't know what is
They have the endorsements because they're famous, not because they're wealthy.
What kind of bags do associates carry? Backpacks, laptop bags, handbags, briefcases? I assume bags are needed for laptop, lunchbox, wallet and misc things like powerbanks?

What are some common brands used by junior associates? Zara/ H&M or LV?
Pleas suggest the type of bag / size a new associate should buy? Please suggest brands and ideal budget also if possible?

(Ps: Iā€™m an incoming A0)
I don't know why this got downvoted. Privilege, much?

I am a PA now in a smaller law firm. But I had the exact same question when I had just graduated and went to a big law firm in Bombay. Being from a middle class family, I was shocked that I had to spend more than 1500 on a bag to be considered presentable. My expenses of moving to a new city were already so high and I didn't think clearly about these things. I wish I had someone to lay down the budget and what brands will help me pass by without feeling every bit anxious in lifts and while walking into meetings. I don't encourage this culture, but I am aware that you need someone to guide you through it.

As a bare minimum, I'd recommend setting aside 8-10k aside for the following. For girls:

1. A good blazer (~3k) - get black if you are going to be litigation team. Grey otherwise. H&M / Marks and Spencer / Van Heusen / Allen Solly.

2. Bag (~2-4k) - you can get maximum bang for the buck in Myntra sales. I can imagine how some snooty people will look down on backpacks. So you can go for a Tote bag + Laptop sleeve. Or a separate laptop bag and a smaller handbag. Mango, Baggit, indie brands are fine too. Buy a good quality one which will last for at least a year or more so that you don't feel the need to ditch it in a few months. It's okay if you can't afford aldo / Michael Kors or Coach bags. It really is. Get a wallet to go with it (about 1500) similar brands.

3. You don't need a watch. If you are going to get one, might as well wait for a few months' salary than get a low ended one and invite judgement.

4. Shoes (1.5-3k) - Black shoes. Clarks / Hush Puppies. Or even cheaper brands like Allen Solly. This is one place where brand doesn't matter much for show, but I have noticed that more expensive brands are more comfortable. Ballet flats / Kitten heels. Should suffice for the first few months of meetings.
Feel free to wear kurtas and slippers too. But make sure your toe nails are done properly.

10k may be steep. But consider it initial investment. Borrow from your parents rather than have them fund it. You'll be able to pay back in a couple of months.

Boys will find it easier. There is less judgement about backpacks for boys. Get matching shoes/belt combos in black and brown and you are set. Again, a watch isn't a must. You can do funky socks - everyone does funky socks.

Word of advice - do not worry about the snooty people. They will not respect you even if stretch your resources and buy the best brands. They may respect you when you do good work. But there are several others from humble roots (even if they don't look it) and will see themselves in you. Don't lose self confidence over this.

And finally chill, if you are in a law firm, eventually you'll earn a lot of money. These things will become affordable very soon. You can pamper your younger siblings!
Did you just equate Zara and LV? And which law firm pays their Associates enough to afford LV anyway?
It's mostly private law grads who are expected to do this, not NLU grads because the former come from generational wealth and are expected to have fancy items. NLU grads on the other hand are meritorious and partners are willing to excuse their appearances for their good work
Excuse our appearance lol. You make it sound like we go to work wearing beach shorts.
One of my seniors at my first job would make fun of me coz I took the train while she had an expensive car (I think it was a Merc). I just told her my vehicle cost more than hers. It did get a laugh from the people around, but did not endear me to her.

In any case, I just ignore this stuff. Even if I can afford designer brands, I see no value in it and I won't spend money to gain approval of random people. As well as you dress appropriately and are well kempt, it doesn't matter.

Also clients can be as judgy as your colleagues, if not worse.

It's a superficial world out there and its not just your law firm.
A 11-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.