We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
I get that you're supposed to look polished and professional (considering the long seminars you're put through on that topic in orientation) but I feel the judgment that comes your way is a bit much. Has it always been this way in law firms?
Its quite insane that way if you if travel backwards from the law firm culture to culture in law schools. You had a higher degree of freedom with regard to who you hang out with, what you wear, what you eat and how you talked...just general life (sure, these things were restricted by your class, caste)...than you do at law firms where all the things that you have highlighted are objects of judgment. You start self regulating, so to speak. Entrepreneurial selfs.
A lot of it I suppose is driven by the high consumption economy we inhabit, with these symbols being compensation for the hours of overwork and no form of engagement outside of work. "If I have to do 18 hour workdays, might as well do it wearing an Hermes tie." It is perhaps the same in most high-earning industries (investment banks, PE houses, consultancies). Another reason I can think of is that law firms have a strong nouveau riche crowd across cities, and the high compensation law firms offer drives the desire to conspicuously consume high value luxury items to 'look' wealthy or polished. Since more traditional forms of wealth display (playing golf, memberships in elite clubs like Gymkhana, DGC, fancy schooling, having Lutyens / SoBo besties) are not forthcoming, this form of display satiates the need to tell the world that you're rich too.
That said, bullying someone or passing comments for what brand etc they choose to wear / accessorize with a straight out dick move, and should be called out as such. Do what you like with your money, but don't tell me what I should do with mine.
What are some common brands used by junior associates? Zara/ H&M or LV?
(Ps: Iām an incoming A0)
I am a PA now in a smaller law firm. But I had the exact same question when I had just graduated and went to a big law firm in Bombay. Being from a middle class family, I was shocked that I had to spend more than 1500 on a bag to be considered presentable. My expenses of moving to a new city were already so high and I didn't think clearly about these things. I wish I had someone to lay down the budget and what brands will help me pass by without feeling every bit anxious in lifts and while walking into meetings. I don't encourage this culture, but I am aware that you need someone to guide you through it.
As a bare minimum, I'd recommend setting aside 8-10k aside for the following. For girls:
1. A good blazer (~3k) - get black if you are going to be litigation team. Grey otherwise. H&M / Marks and Spencer / Van Heusen / Allen Solly.
2. Bag (~2-4k) - you can get maximum bang for the buck in Myntra sales. I can imagine how some snooty people will look down on backpacks. So you can go for a Tote bag + Laptop sleeve. Or a separate laptop bag and a smaller handbag. Mango, Baggit, indie brands are fine too. Buy a good quality one which will last for at least a year or more so that you don't feel the need to ditch it in a few months. It's okay if you can't afford aldo / Michael Kors or Coach bags. It really is. Get a wallet to go with it (about 1500) similar brands.
3. You don't need a watch. If you are going to get one, might as well wait for a few months' salary than get a low ended one and invite judgement.
4. Shoes (1.5-3k) - Black shoes. Clarks / Hush Puppies. Or even cheaper brands like Allen Solly. This is one place where brand doesn't matter much for show, but I have noticed that more expensive brands are more comfortable. Ballet flats / Kitten heels. Should suffice for the first few months of meetings.
Feel free to wear kurtas and slippers too. But make sure your toe nails are done properly.
10k may be steep. But consider it initial investment. Borrow from your parents rather than have them fund it. You'll be able to pay back in a couple of months.
Boys will find it easier. There is less judgement about backpacks for boys. Get matching shoes/belt combos in black and brown and you are set. Again, a watch isn't a must. You can do funky socks - everyone does funky socks.
Word of advice - do not worry about the snooty people. They will not respect you even if stretch your resources and buy the best brands. They may respect you when you do good work. But there are several others from humble roots (even if they don't look it) and will see themselves in you. Don't lose self confidence over this.
And finally chill, if you are in a law firm, eventually you'll earn a lot of money. These things will become affordable very soon. You can pamper your younger siblings!
In any case, I just ignore this stuff. Even if I can afford designer brands, I see no value in it and I won't spend money to gain approval of random people. As well as you dress appropriately and are well kempt, it doesn't matter.
Also clients can be as judgy as your colleagues, if not worse.
It's a superficial world out there and its not just your law firm.