We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
its about the people you have to do that work with
We know the men who worked and had things tick along. In return there were attempts to โฎโฎโฎ
Someone lead the internal lynch mobs from the shadows which clearly you're a part of. โฎโฎโฎ. I can drop names but that would be a disservice to them.
โฎโฎโฎ Defend your bread and butter, but expect a stink. Now when those people who rebuild on their own, you mock them. Just sit down.
โฎโฎโฎ Was it tough. Heck yes. But we are flourishing.
Once you leave the cult you will realize it. What is denied is your agency in life.
Get well soon.
SHE MADE YOU.
โฎโฎโฎ.
Mostly importantly, please learn to hold an opinion by yourself or even hold space with your clients on your own.
Firms arenโt built to help anyone grow. Theyโre built to keep people replaceable. If you're smart and can be independent, they see a threat. Might as well try doing the opposite then. Stop asking for permission. Finally, stop mimicking people you donโt want to become.
Dedicated competition teams will not be many. There are very few cases and fewer clients.
Most work is from one domestic conglomerate, we know the games played with other clients. Donโt make us say more things.
Other people also brought mandates and client relationships - so did I. I know what feedback she gave to the client then. The clients talk too. Still talks to me. I also remember when clients whom she deprioritised found comfort in communications with someone else and how she panicked. They still call me. I was scolded for those on several occasions. I also remember her asking to make a list of people with whom I could do a joint BD at some point using my contacts and patronage. I knew then what I was in store for then.
As we parted, I remember her saying, "You should step up in front of clients". It was too late. I was done. To quote a client โ "It's just her and some children." Children here means people with no autonomy. Only one person speaks anything of consequence. Rest hand papers and clarify. It is a ridiculous training environment to give anyone senior. Once you get out, empty the crap, and you realise how much you have taken from you. Do not be a bottle carrier all your life - do it on your own.
Of course you're "happy". You forget we were there too. You need to be "happy".
Btw we are well over ourselves - we grinded our way out and found our way out. I wish you all the happiness together.
There is plenty wrong with the successful too โ perhaps look around the world โ then ask the question, what is "success" other than status-chasing vanity? Especially among lawyers.
Like, what is it? Asking people to vote on GCR, ensuring everyone in the team votes and likes posts? Dig deeper, and you realise the people that do the best in competition law do not appear on GCR.
The people that really get it โ dismiss it โ as the "soft law" it actually is in its current condition. So what is success for you? What is this metric you need? Bank account. All kinds of influencers in Dubai surpass us all then.
Spare us the successful woman and first-generation stuff. It's boring.