Read 45 comments as:
Filter By
Not taking names, but many NUJS alumni with Oxbridge/Harvard/Magic Circle credentials/tier 1 firm equity partnerships are actually NRI quota alumni. If you look at their backgrounds, they are from reputed schools and well-connected families, and have an excellent command of the English language. These things give them an edge. Also, many actually had pretty decent CLAT ranks: good enough to get into NLUJ or GNLU. They would have made it to the NUJS merit list had there not been any caste/EWS/domicile quota.

So what I am saying is donโ€™t be dismissive of such people. Have been seeing some sarcastic comments on LI.
Bro, there is a girl who chose NUJS NRI quota over NLUJ merit entry as she is from Kolkata. She is currently working In a T1 firm but has got scholarships to Oxford and Cambridge and will be headed there. I donโ€™t want to give her name because she is a friend and I don't want to drag her into this muckfest with trolls.
This is not true. I know NUJS NRI quota people who had made it to GNLU, NLUJ, NLIU, RGNUL etc. Many people, especially those with homes in Kolkata, have chosen to pay more and study at NUJS. If you have a home in Kolkata you have the luxury of commuting everyday, as the college is well connected to the city through the ITC hotel-Park Circus flyover and will soon have a metro station as well. So stop spreading utter lies.
Read carefully, I said โ€œmostโ€ and it is indeed very stupid to pay โ‚น50L for a T2 NLU just to stay at home. Hardly anyone who makes it till even NLIU would choose NUJS NRI quota. Maybe one or two exceptions exist who have money to burn.
It must be so sad to be you. Can't make it to a place and hence doomed to badmouth it.
No use engaging with trolls. LI has plenty of those who hate NUJS and its students' achievements.
Lol, itโ€™s essentially a Management Quota which has literally been declared illegal by one of the High Courts. The fact that these kids are successful is like saying the Ambani children are greatly successful. Theyโ€™re only succeeding because of their parents wealth and background, not out of merit.
Problem kya hai? Tu bhi to use karta agar tere parents ke paas hoti to?
First, my parents did have the money but I wouldnโ€™t have felt good using it. Honestly, I wouldโ€™ve preferred JGLS through the normal route than NUJS via NRI quota. But to each his/her own.
Very dumb argument and honestly, I donโ€™t know how itโ€™s even a counter. For a quota candidate to get into IAS, he still has to clear the UPSC-determined cut-off and meet the minimum eligibility criteria. For the NRI person in CLAT, he has failed to meet the cut-off for NUJS in general merit category, but is allowed to join if he can pay more money. Where is the correlation between the two? No one can pay their way into joining the civil services. This is like comparing apples and oranges except even more nonsensical. Work on your analogy skills.
"UPSC-determined cut-off".

Similarly, there is also an NUJS-determined cut-off for NRI quota.

"failed to meet the cut-off for NUJS in general merit category, but is allowed to join if he can pay more money."

Similarly, one may fail to meet the cut-off for UPSC in general merit category but be allowed join the UPSC by virtue of being born to an SC/ST/OBC father.

"No one can pay their way into joining the civil services."

And neither can one pay their way into NUJS. You need to have a certain score, which is very often higher than the SC/ST/OBC cut-off and higher than certain other NLUs in the merit list.

"Work on your analogy skills."

Works both ways, cupcake.
Clearly you can compare reservation for the elite with reservation for the marginalised

That makes perfect sense
Even the NRIs need to have done better than other NRI candidates in order to finally get into law school.
Well if you are someone who is capable of dishing out 50 lakhs for a course which requires 15 at best, the last thing which you should be doing is rubbing into our faces about how rich and how many connections you have. Folks from NRI quota being successful isn't surprising because they already have a support structure. It's not the W that you think it is.
If NRI quota students pay 50 - 60 L for the degree that the rest pay 15 - 25 L for, then the rest need to be thankful for it. Without the NRI quota students, the rest will pay 35 - 40 L. The NRI students subsidize the non-NRI folks. They need to be respected.
The money the NRI kids pay generally goes into the pockets of โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ. Subsidisation of education happens due to government support for public universities, not by backdoor entry quotas for folks with lesser ranks but more money.
To mod: Am I allowed to name people from Kolkata who made it to NLUJ/GNLU merit lists but chose NUSJ NRI quota? That will shut up the trolls posting misinformation.

[Mod: No, sorry, probably not a good idea but we believe you ;)]
Rank 1 NRI quota of 2015 batch is one such person. Working in a t1 firm right now.
I think using NEI quota is better than paying 30L for jgls/BITSlaw/ munjal etc
You are saying that privileged peeps are doing well in life? What's exactly surprising about it? You have not discovered anything new.
A 13-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 21-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.
A 33-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.