Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
If someone completes a 3 year or 5 year law course in India at the age of 40-42 years , does he/she have a chance of becoming a corporate lawyer ???
Wouldn’t advise it. Consider tax instead or do an Executive MBA and do a hybrid law-management job.
Age is no bar. Chances are you have worked somewhere and bring real world business experience to the job.

Your challenge will be to take instructions from people younger than you. Hopefully they are respectful and you figure out a way of dealing with it. Advice would be to find some one in their late 40s or 50s/60s as a boss.
Thanks for your reply, So considering my age of 36 years, should I go for a 3 year LLB or a 5 year LLB course ??? And again, I am asking with an alignment towards joining the corporate law practice.

Thanks in advance !!!
Do a three year degree please. 5 year would basically have a BA or BBA component as well.

Assuming you have a pre existing degree, that won’t be necessary.

Just learn the law by doing a 3 year LLB degree.

Also, I have seen someone who joined as an associate 0 level at age 32 or so. So you aren’t too behind :)

All the best!
Thank You for your kind and generous words, my last two queries for you -

Q 1. Did the person who joined as an associate 0 level at age 32 survive the rigour of a law firm ???

Q. 2. Where would it be ideal to pursue the 3 year LLB course ??? Private Universities like Symbiosis or NLUs like NLSIU ???
How to move to corporate from T-3 city . I only have litigation experience
@Age-is-no-bar commenter :

Dude pls guide me and talk to me sometime on call or maybe email . I have a lot to ask!

pls shoot a mail seriouspen@mail.com
Go for litigation. It will take time but with smart work you'll be great. In corporate you'll face ageist remarks and won't be promoted quickly despite working hard
My suggestion.

1. MBA

2. Taxation lawyer

3. Litigation.

These are the only places where age wouldn't be detrimental. Ageism exists in India . Alot
Pardon my ignorance but do taxation lawyers work independently or in a corporate firm ??? And given my age is 36 years, should I go for a 3 year LLB or a 5 year LLB course ???
I really want to understand what you mean by corporate lawyer as this is too generic term.

Also you have to consider that most of the partners who will be involved in hiring will be of your age or even younger and it is very likely that they might not be comfortable hiring someone just starting of being of their age because it is easier to groom a young associate.
What I mean by Corporate lawyer is that I want to work as a Corporate Lawyer in T1 firms and I understand the hesitation with respect to hiring me because of the age factor but assuming that I do well in my LLB course and display openness and flexibility in working under people who are younger to me, then will I be considered ???
i would consider but will you be ready to slog it out in the initial 3-4 years? its tough, long hours, many weekends, lot of reading, being available at odd hours - holidays etc.
Bhai, arts subjects main accha tha but

peer pressure ke chakkar main engineering ki, fir job Kiya Pvt sector main , phir UPSC/PCS ki taiyari ki, UPSC/PCS clear nahin hua , abhi Govt. Job kar raha hoon. But mujhe apni zindagi main kuch matlab ka karna hain isliye I am trying to find out ke mere jaise log abhi is age main law course karenge toh kya kar sakte hain is field main .
Study law if you like, finish it, see if you even like it, for goodness sakes don’t quit your government job to study. And working in a law firm is not a bed of roses or even a direct input output function of hours worked and money earned. You have to work all day and night as a junior, and later on have to bring in business, else you’re fired. And that’s guaranteed. You WILL need to either bring in or execute a fixed Monetary value in the crores at any T1. If you can’t, forget about it.
I am litigating , I am 30 , non-NLU living in smaller city

please help me also ---
pls guide me and talk to me sometime on call or maybe email . I have a lot to ask!

pls shoot a mail seriouspen@mail.com
Do you know about Company Secretaryship Course?

Have you ever given any thought on this?

It's a commercial law program which offers employment opportunities majorly in legal compliance and regulation of various companies.

If you really like law and want to test it out if you really like it then go for this course as it can be done through correspondence mode along with your govt job. You just have to prepare and write exams. Later on you can do a 3 years LLB from a not-so-strict attendance policy college. You will easily get plenty legal compliance and counsel roles in top corporates. And as far as I know, in house roles are much better than law firm jobs. It will suit you.
Not worth it. Very few jobs out there, and if you manage to find one, the abuse at junior levels alone will make you want to take up any other profession. No other profession can be as "humbling". Why do you want anyone to treat you sub-humanely?
A 13-word comment posted 2 weeks ago was not published.