Read 43 comments as:
Filter By
Hello Everyone,

I am a student of a Tier 3 NLU, planning for academia. What are the prospects in teaching, if I do my LLM from a Non - NLU or State university? or how much it matters? Will UGC NET, with a good CGPA in Graduation and PG suffice? What should be my approach for it.
Please guide me, it's much needed.
Anything below a PhD is gonna be difficult in the future. It was in 2018/19 whe UGC made it mandatory for assistant professors to have a PhD. However that was withheld after protests. However, in the future, a PhD will definitely be mandatory. Moreover, a JRF is best, since it provides with a fellowship as well as gives weightage to your CV in interviews. If you can, aim for a central university for an LLM, especially since they provide a 2 year LLM. One year LLMs are not worth it. Also, a two year LLM will help you get into IIM or IIT for a PhD, since they don't take one year LLMs. Any more queries do reply.
Decent advice. Central University>IIT/IIM>NLU>state university>private
Nobody cares about Central universities offering law. They are either nepo places without any substance like NFSU, RRU etc. or has beens like BHU, DU etc when it comes to law.
2 year LLMs currently offered in the country are relics. Nobody cares what LLM you have so long as it's valid. Rather focus on learning and quality of your dissertation.
When push comes to shove, one year LLMs would be stopped not two years.
Don't know about the downvotes, but this is the best advice. Aiming for traditional things; JRF, PhD & 2 year LLM, will make things way easier for you. The competition is high. Just appeared for a assistant professor interview; for 2 posts, we had around 80 candidates.
No good law university prefers two year LLM students over one year LLM students in this country for jobs.
Absolutely. IIT KGP SOL is a really bad place and it accepts only 2-year LLM for Ph.D. admission. I wonder why some toppers from the so-called Tier 1 state NLUs still go there for their LLMs. They must be crazy.
That admission policy may be challenged this year after the related HC decision about its unconstitutionality.
Till then don't make sweeping statements. People in IIT KGP are not idiots.
Just discriminating. By the way, the court has already held that no institute can claim to admit any PhD student only on the basis of 2-year LLM. That's law of the land now.
Every decent university and stream has a two year masters. One year LLMs are cash grabs.
I have observed that Central University LLM students get more respect than NLU LLM students (who aren't even shown basic respect even by their 5 year peers)
Absolutely correct. Recently went to an interview with NLU PhD pursuing and completed candidates, and none of them could secure a job. A DU PhD & BHU LLM were selected. Say what you want, TLC are still preferred.
Do your LLM from this https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/nlud-soas-joint-llm/ma-environmental-justice-south-asia

and then do PhD from NLUD, you will get recruited in any of the NLUs

or do LLM from any foreign uni with scholarship and then do PhD from there
Not really. It's not a field for which there is huge demand in this country.
BS. Recently went to an interview with few NLUD PhD pursuing and completed candidates, around 11-12, none of them could secure a job. A DU PhD & BHU LLM were selected. Say what you want, TLC are still preferred.
In a lot of these interviews, the result is already fixed. Also, even in an impartial interview there are other things than your college also at stake- your research experience, teaching experience etc.
or you can try out https://nludelhi.ac.in/UploadedImages/6bcb94c6-ed49-44a0-af1b-78f032f12a7a.pdf

the joint LLM programme between NLUD, WIPO and the Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks

NLUD seems to be on a roll with innovative LLM programmes
You sound jealous. It is definitely intended to increase funds but it’s still the only NLU that’s innovating on this. What do you expect NLUD to do, give away the service for free? That way even IIMA’s PGPX is a cash-grab. And unlike certain other NLUs, NLUD atleast has the academic quality and infrastructure to offer these courses.
Exactly my thought, when I saw this. At least NLUD is making an effort to be innovative and leveraging its locational advantage.
Lol, academic quality of NLUD! Their trolls think that even their average faculty are world class. Almost no NLUD faculty has got credible global publications in their domain.
Give it a rest with your recorded message on every thread regarding NLUD. Except NLS, that too because of their recent faculty recruits, NLUD's academic quality is far superior to every other NLU. Not my fault that you didn't get into NLUD to actually see it for yourself.
First of all, its MLM . Repeat after me -" M " , " L " , "M " . Thanks
A 10-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.
A 103-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.