Read 28 comments as:
Filter By
How to deal with the casual fat-shaming done in law firm(s)? Seeking answers apart from the smart aleck ones of "go to the gym", "lose weight". I genuinely need help. Thanks!
look. other people have a right to say whatever they want. thats kind of how the world works. If you complain to some manager now, youll be complaining all your life. In adult world we have to sort our own problems. So here are possible solutions

1) get angry next time it happens and try and confront/shame people- you will alienate colleagues but thats a cost.

2) ignore it or laugh it off- try and remember that other peoples opinions are just that and no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

3) go to the gym and lose weight- no weight no mockery. you might find that they mock you for something else. and that weight loss should be about you getting healthy.

4) leave the firm- no firm no bullying. you might not have much luck elsewhere.

5) just pick flaws in whoever is saying mean shit and drag them for a bit. no one in any firm looks like a model anyway. fighting fire with fire is a recipe for some burnt people.
By retorting with meaner comments. Find their vices. Tell them to consult psychiatrists. Ask them if they are depressed multiple times. Ask them if they need IVF or have they tested their loved ones for cancer. Or do they need divorce lawyer. Or are their SOs cheating on them. Or how will they react if their kids turn homosexual.

Ask these questions with equal casual tone. These buggers need a snide retort. & Shame on those who are still asking you to lose weight. There are too many reasons for weight gain that are beyond one's control.
If you have a disorder then do let your bullies know it so that they feel guilty, otherwise just diet and exercise
In front of me a (fit) male partner told a (chubby) associate girl to go to the gym. It’s a new form of racism.
Simple trick which has worked- just ask "can you explain what you mean by that?". See them buckle.
more than half the law firm peeps are seriously unheathly popping pills and smoking throughout the day. ignore these aholes; work on yourself if it makes you uncomfortable or if it is unhealthy otherwise ignore
So you acknowledge it's healthy but still stand by promoting fat culture
Its perfectly okay to take a stand for yourself and call out this behaviour. Even better if its done with wit and humour that disarms the other person. Sorry that you've had to put up with this, it is unacceptable.
Dont be such a snowflake! Be confident in yourself. What do you care what anyone thinks?Grow a thick layer of skin.
don't do anything i find fat people cute as hell me personally i think there should be more fat people
So you are promoting unhealthy beauty standards because you feel its cute? Do you know how dangerous a high body fat percentage is
Shame them back. You're a lawyer. Figure out what makes them tick. The next time they fat shame you. Shame the back. Do it well. Make it sound like you're concerned for their mental health cause no one really likes them etc. If you do it right you can have them crying in their cabin. If you do it really well you can have them have a violent or teary outburst right there. Everyone will think you are the villain while this person is having a breakdown of a life time. But one thing let me promise you, they will never fat shame you again.