Read 40 comments as:
Filter By
An absolutely critical ministry responsible for many pending reforms: judicial appointments, reducing the backlog of cases, legal sector liberalisation, NLU nationalisation etc. Yet, a series of incompetent people have been appointed to this post by Modi since 2014, who have enacted zero reforms: Sadananda Gowda, RS Prasad, Karen Rijuju and Arjun Ram Meghwal. Only RS Prasad had some sort of legal practice experience, but largely confined to the Patna HC. He is also a graduate of Patna University. Not exactly A-material.

So is there any hope this time that Modi will appoint someone to the post with some merit and top-level experience? For example, Pinky Anand, Mahesh Jethmalani or Vikramjit Banerjee? Or will it be the same pool of jokers he will look towards? One name doing the rounds is Justice Abhijit Gangopadhyay, who has got an easy Lok Sabha seat and is expected to win. But he is unlikely to enact any reforms and will merely use the Law Ministry to expedite corruption cases against the TMC.
He'll definitely for sure, mate!!

Jab tak soyi hui janta rahegi tab tak modi pm rahega! Or after ram mandir inauguration, he has become more strong!
Buddy, you may hate Modi all you want but you can't deny the NDA will form the next govt and he will be PM. Please get out of your echo chamber (the same goes for the people voting).
Are you seriously this delusional that you think he’s not going to win? Who else will people vote for? The other guy (whoever it is since the other side hasnt even declared their official face with elections only a couple of months away)?
Why the hell does anyone have to show an opposing face? This is not a presidential election.
I've been telling this to people for the last seven years or so. Glad to know there are some who understand.
short of something as crazy as a highly improbable assasination, he is definitely coming a third time
What if NM does not cross 272 ? Then someone from allies will fill up that.. TDP, BJD, Shinde Sena, etc
It's gonna be Abhijit Gangopadhyay. The law ministry would be a good stepping stone towards making him the CM face for the Bengal election in 2026.
Yes, I completely agree 100%. Modi will appoint Abhijit Gangopadhyay, who will try to cultivate an image of reforming the justice system to be pro-people and then be projected as Bengal CM candidate in 2026. Also, who else is there really? Any proper lawyer standing for election on a. BJP ticket?
Hopefully reforming the justice system to ensure that people don't deliver judgements while hoping to be recruited by political parties for the next election.
RSP may return as the LM. Also any other person who either has good rapport with the Bar and Bench (needn't be an active lawyer) or is "lightweight" enough to execute orders coming from "shadows". That's how the Ministry has always functioned.
Naveen Jindal. He will close down majority of NLUs, limit budgets of tier 1 NLUs and will only focus on central university providing legal courses, especially DU and JNU. The next batch of lawyers & Judges will be BJP centred. And obviously, Jindal will be No1 in all rankings
but nlus are state unis so how can central govt close them unless they pass a law which takes over all nlus under a central act like iits and then kill them off like iims
for a moment i gave this comment some thought and then i realised today is 1 April
Justice Abhijit Gangopadhyay will be the next Law Minister of India and BJP's face for Bengal CM in 2026. Save this prediction, because I will revisit this prediction in June, when the new cabinet is formed.
While JS is the EAM now, many other acolytes and MPs (LS/RS) with foreign service credentials were not made EAM or deputy EAMs. Similarly, folks having superior domain expertise in finance, economics etc weren't made FMs. The list goes on.

So JAG needn't necessarily become the next LM. Another reason will be that many in the SC wouldn't want a "junior" to be the LM. There is a chance he may become a deputy to HM or some such ministry, which can be used to shower largesse/armstrong the WB govt.

Agriculture, Fisheries, Rural Development etc
I disagree. There have been some occasions where retired high court judges have served as union Minister for Law. One example is P Shiv Shankar. So there is every chance that Abhijit Gangopadhyay could be appointed as law minister. He could use this post to tighten the screws against Abhishek Banerjee in various ways.
Me. I have done my graduation in biology from a tier 3, masters in physics from a tier 2, PhD in chemistry from a tier 1 & post doc in business management. I am well experienced in going to courts for my pending criminal cases, therefore I am fit to be the law minister based on my experience.
A 7-word comment posted 4 weeks ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 4 weeks ago was not published.
A 10-word comment posted 4 weeks ago was not published.
A 156-word comment posted 4 weeks ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.