Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
I mean obviously everyone here knows that contacts help in getting an internship at T1 firms, but have you seen people who got into T1 firms as associates just using contacts? If so, at what level were their contacts at: SA1, SA2, Partner or MP? Who has the power to decide?
I thought PPO depended on your performance in callback internship or assessment internship ??

Btw was the contact at Partner level?
at the very least, you can get a PPO interview scheduled through contacts. a friend of mine's dad told them they have the contacts to get them a 15 LPA job straight out of college as long as they graduated but if they wanted to get a higher salary he'd have to put in effort. Idk about you, but 15 LPA would be more than ideal for me at this stage of our economy but unfortunately, I dont have that kind of contacts.
How far ???? More than 100lakh KM 🤣.....come on dude is there any other option than contact in corporate ?
They don't and you are generally looked down upon by the team. All NLU learners are first gen students. Do you think they get jobs/internship through connection?? They only secure those through merit
bruh, not true at all. most NLU kids also have either litigation kids with established family practices to go back to or parents in high places in the corporate world (if not corporate law) to get them internships
Thats a lot of words to say that you’ve never seen the inside of a law firm.
helps in getting the job and ranking up quickly if the contact is a Partner or a Client.
I'm 3rd gen corp

Almost 80% of my work from reference

Rest 20% here and there.
Dude I'll be honest, it's always contacts that help especially in the present market. This is because peoples decisions come with discretion, which is usually exercised haphazardly because lawyers are trash in administration and usually are burning the midnight oil in their law work. This is why law firms much invest in MBA level admin systems + proper tech integration. However the partners won't concede because this brings centralisation and control from the management, something equity partners dont want. They want micromanagement and shop like work. Just look at that viral mail, in a corporate no-one should be able to make such informal shits.

The following assumptions are tried and tested and I know people at all levels (who dont help me tho smh). This is for a TIER 1 FIRMS in M&A/ GC and other star practices- SCAM Mumbai Del Bangalore, Trilegal Mumbai Gurgaon Bangalore , Khaitan Mumbai, AZB Mumbai, JSA Mumbai Gurgaon (add B&F), S&R Associates.

A Contact- No help, but can get you more work assigned if you were to intern, but again the SA and PA would decide the assessment

SA Contact- Internship applications

PA Contact/ Government official contact- Above and proper assessment during internships, including chance at callback or PPO interview (if close to the equity partner or is very influential, which may usually be the case tbh)

6+ Year Salaried Partner Contact/ IAS IPS IRS IFS level contact- Above and PPO interview certainly + lateral hires as well + fast promotions to SA Level (depending on the influence on the equity partner) + not much work to be done because you have a freeway

(PS- Here assuming the SP is doing partner functions and isn't a glorified PA, think 6+ years as SP after promotion and is quite close to partnership, if you arent think consider in PA, for example some partners at SAM or AZB Mumbai)

EP Contact/ Client Company level contact- Anything till making Partner in the team

Senior EP/ Management Team level distal Contact/ Client Company Senior Executive level contact - Above and you dont have to do any work for promotions to EP in a few years

Managing Partner Close Contact (Shroffs/ Luthra son)/ Top Client Company Promoter level contact/ Minister level contact(why would they even join a law firm, so no examples)- Direct place in equity partnership and management team without the need for work

Fortune 500 promoter/ executive level contact/ Amdani ka beta- Anything you want for no work, again you have better things to do
I've gotten all of my internships, including a few T1s thru contacts.

To get a PPO or something, you need to have a strong legal contact. If you're related to an important client they'll give an internship but will do fuck all.
By strong legal contacts means client level ? Ya kya partner chalega?
Partner is best - even better if equity one. If you come via client request you'll get some work but... yeah...
Bruh I got an internship at AZB Mumbai cuz my dad was a client of the firm. But that doesnt mean they don't check for merit. I got a PPO interview only because I worked so hard to prove my abilities.