Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
almost same, but also the social slack i'd recieve for saying I go to court everyday and having to solve queries of my relatives and friends for no money
Couldn't make peace with the fact that someone half as smart half as hardworking will gain twice as success because of nepotism. Not for me, more power to all other 1st gens who are hanging in there
True. I was so happy when I Joined Law School but all my hopes and dreams broke when I completed my Law.
same, my senior wasnt toxic but i realised i wouldnt even be able to afford accommodation with the stipend he was offering
Pay. I didn't want to slog for 10-20 years on nickels and dimes for the odd chance that I'd reach the same level as a Arvind Datar or Somsekhar Sundaresan by my 40s. I did not want to suffer a terrible present in hopes of future that has miniscule chance of materializing.
salary and the personal life that you would have to forego for the next five years ! I had a senior who runs his office 7 days a week and expects his juniors to come to the office all the office seven days.

A couple of events that led to my bidding an adieu to litigation:

I wanted to go attend a friend's birthday bash on a particular day and wanted to leave the office by 8pm. The senior detested the thought ! He said he never the left the office before his senior did.

There is another incident that happened on a Saturday. My father asked me if I could deliver some documents at a government office at around 11am that day. I rushed to the office by 10 and unintentionally hurried to my chair in the office. A client and my senior were discussing a case and could notice me rushing to my chair and trying to go out of the office. This irked him very much.

There are many more incidents like these and I do not know how significant or otherwise they are. I felt I was denuded of complete freedom for little or no reward, monetary or otherwise, in the near future. I decided to leave the office thereafter and did leave.
"I felt I was denuded of complete freedom for little or no reward, monetary or otherwise, in the near future."

This is sooo true. Especially when we can't make time for our own family and parents. I know a friend who's senior asked him to stay back when he had to take his dad to a dialysis session. There's a special place in hell for these senior advocates
Your friend’s birthday bash? My senior let me go home on my birthday at 9 p.m. even though I had requested him to let me off at 7:00 since my friends wanted to meet. He said what birthday wudday. πŸ˜‚
1. 2 years no pay.

2. 5 years no private practice.

3. 10 years no chamber.

4. No work-life balance.

5. First generation.

Left after a decade and joined a tier 2 law firm. Consistent pay, work-life balance and reward in the form of promotions and bonuses for hard work.
No family background, no mentor, no clients, no humanity shown by senior

That sealed the deal for me