Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Heyo. I'm a CLAT 2024 aspirant, and I've been allotted HNLU in the counselling process so far. I do have hope for upgrading to GNLU or NLIU, however the chances are fairly slim, considering that the top 6 NLUs don't have too much movement in terms of ranks. They don't really seem to produce many vacant seats after the counselling process either.

So for the time being, I'm just going to assume that if I do choose to take admission, I'll be getting into HNLU. That being said, I feel extremely cynical. The prospect of attending a law college in Chattisgarh is not very thrilling, to say the least. The badge of attending a Tier 2 NLU is gonna stick with me forever if I end up graduating from here. People always recommend taking a partial drop if one is dissatisfied with the college they have been allotted, but it never plays out in such a linear fashion in reality. There's too many stories of people being pumped up for a partial drop in some NLU, but eventually they let go of that idea due to them falling into a comfort zone as well as having the immense burden of studying thrust upon them.

Another issue that occupies my thoughts all the time is the issue of career paths. I never wanted to get into corporate law. My dream (as stupid as it sounds now) is to become a professor in some well renowned university. I really love teaching and doing research and writing about topics in excruciating depth. I really like details and I love reading books and articles and writing essays on topics I care about, which is why I even chose law in the first place. It appears like I'm tooting my own horn, but regardless, I felt it necessary to include. However, everyone I talk to online and in real life seem to mostly be interested in packages and placements, along with a few who seem interested in judiciary. Which makes me wonder, do these NLUs even open pathways for academia? Or are they solely corporate and judiciary oriented? Personally, I do not wish to pursue careers in these fields. If most NLUs are oriented towards judiciary and corporate, is it worth it for someone who does not wish to take either of these paths?

I feel like this post became super long and rambling. I didn't have a particular direction that I wanted to take it in, nor did I have a general framework ready. I just wanted to ask some questions that have been hanging heavy on my mind lately. Are these NLUs, which charge such hefty sums of money as fees, worth it for the opportunities they open up? Should I change courses and aim for a different degree? I do have the luxury of taking one drop year, if I really need to. I wish to be studying something which is aligned with my interests, and while it seemed to me that Law was that subject, I have become increasingly skeptical of it as a career, over the span of a few months. I'd appreciate it if anyone's willing to help me out! I'm sorry if anything I wrote here hurt anyone too.
Hey sorry I can't write an elaborate answer rn but,

1. Don't take a complete drop. Ever. The success stories are an apt example of survivor bias. I am a survivor too but would never want a junior to go through the grilling process of a complete drop. Always prefer a partial drop over it.

2. A t2 NLU badge is worth it.

3. Don't be a pessimistic.

4. NLUs do open a lot of barriers for you so yes, NLUs are worth it. Same goes for other t1 law schools.

5. NLUs do encourage you to pursue legal academia if you are genuinely intrigued by it. Watch a few YT videos of NLU grads speaking about legal academia. It will be of great help to you.
Tier 1 NLUs are primarily corporate oriented. They prepare you for the rigors if the law firms. As an added bonus you will be more involved in things like Moot courts, paper publication , etc.

For entering academia LLM from a prestigious uni is preferable. Either from Tier-1 NLUs or from a reputed foreign institute.
Just because they prepare you for rigour doesn't mean they are corp oriented. I'm an undergrad at NLUD and I'm certain the situation here and at NLS is that they are super philosophy and doctrine oriented and focussed on public law
"Super philosophy oriented". At times I despair at the fact that the Indian law students set the bar so low when it comes to quality teaching.
Bhai itna time nahi hai Tera message padhne. We all are working short mai likha kar.
im sorry! i'll try and shorten it the next time i ask a question 🙌
oh i accidentally responded to the other one. in any case, thanks for the feedback, i'll write shorter posts from now on ✌️
Get to the point sis. We don't want to know about your likes and dislikes. Limit your questions too.
WOW how does this even work. i keep replying to the wrong person!
Had the same feeling after getting alloted HNLU back in 2019. But, trust me, it has been worth it.
Hey, I am in a similar situation as you are and have been allotted MNLU Mumbai, What is the range of your AIR?
I've also been allotted HNLU. From what I've gathered, it's performing quite well despite its location disadvantage. Additionally, considering a partial drop is an option I'm exploring too, especially since the first semester shouldn't be overly demanding.