Read 70 comments as:
Filter By
Kindly stop targeting law schools based on personal vendetta. Threads like these have never generated constructive criticism.
How is this a personal vendetta? Exactly how? This platform can actually help organize a proper protest as most of the students are scared of speaking openly.
You, Mod, marking every comment critical of NLS as trollish is a vendetta. This is actually the most accurate picture of NLSIU in 2024. Grow out of your insecure mentality.
There were certain facts which were not verified at all. Plus, I can assure you that a lot of superficial criticism was involved (certain phrases were used like ‘the place is just hell’) which could’ve dampened any scope for a productive discussion.
Why don't you use the same standard when it comes to all law schools though? For instance, places like NUJS, GNLU and several other law school threads have used far stronger language than this and those comments still get published on a regular basis.
Do you really need to ask? The Mod is from NLS so his/her self-esteem depends on propping up NLS.
@Tier One NLU Mod: Are you saying that the LI mods verify facts before publishing the comments? Since when?
NLS people will try to stay number 1 by censoring discussions than actually improve their law school/construction zone.
extra curriculars are supposed to be just that - extra. If you cannot do your course work because you want to attend a concert or play football or do a moot- the acceptable solution is to work longer and harder. Not to have the university waive academic requirements. a legal education is not school. And not everything that makes you happy in the short term is beneficial in the long term.
Sure, no one had asked for an exemption for sporting events. The question arose because of the reason given by the VC for cancelling Trilateral which is that the NLS students don't perform in local sporting events in Bangalore. Performing in local tournaments require some kind of help from the admin as well. Its not like trilateral which gets over in 2-3days.

This is not just about Trilateral but a larger issue on student participation and student-led events
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Do those "extras", bruv. Any which way, you won't get time after you join these glorious law firms.
If you increase your BALLB seats 4 times in less than 4 years, you are doing something horrible. No major expansion of infrastructure or building new hostels, etc. only adding more students. Standard of education and quality of life bound to deteriorate at NLS Bangalore.
This is no way related to the topic here and your views are uncalled for, you’re not the one to decide what goes on and how quality education gets impacted by any move of the administration whatsoever. NLS will remain NLS and it’s for such trolls to see
Keep your nls downfall fantasies to yourself. This issue is not because of batch size increase, but rather due to an apathetic and uncoperative admin.
The increase is also because of the same admin and the long term downsides will be irreversible.
Mark as trollish and contested. Brahmaputra/LC is a new hostel built, new library has been built, various hostels such as Narmada have been expanded, and there is a New Academic Block. The claim that there is no expansion of infrastructure or building of new hostels, etc. is entirely false.
How did someone force you to elect someone else? Next we know, you're gonna start blaming the EVMs.
By virtue of there being no other candidates. Especially the female-quota co-president. There was no other female contesting.
At this point of time, the student body needs to be united. Please throw away your personal politics and come for the GBM today. Let's get together and throw the dictator and his puppets away.
We have exams to study for. Even if we didn't, we would have better things to do.
Please come for this protest. This is probably our last chance to do something. Otherwise, all these GBMs, protests will keep coming up over and over again. Let's end this!
When is it happening? Asking as an outsider who stands in solidarity against the high-handed admin tactics.
We have a GBM today at 5 pm where a resolution detailing the issues and demands shall be passed and sent to the VC. We are going to protest if he does not meet our demands. We are also reaching out to NLS alums for support. The messiah has connections and it is not easy for us to reach the Executive Council. We do need support from the NLS alums.
Yes, even the Chancellor has got a direct line with Sudhir and is more likely to only pay heed to his versions, supported by other alumni like GShanks who's part of the Sudhir coterie and has got access to CJI.
How about a word of advice for a PhD aspirant ? Is the VC still still on thesis ? Should I apply ?
Try applying to NALSAR, NUJS, etc. Try and avoid this place until the messiah goes. You won't have a significant impact on your CV if you do a PhD from Nalsar rather than from NLS. However, if your thesis is not approved then that can eat away a lot of valuable years.
This is absolutely true. As someone who sits in the board of several PhD candidates from NLS, I have often felt strange at the inordinate delay even after the panel has deemed satisfactory progress or passed a thesis.
The situation is the same in every aspect. The second years have mandatory internships in February and Sudhir has rejected research centres like CEERA, CWL that are run by faculties who are not Sudhir's puppets and approved other centres. The rationale for rejecting these places has not been disclosed to the students.
I completely agree. This is not to target NLS but to warn people not to come here as they would regret it. Every new batch suffers and regrets the choice they made. So please choose some other college as this place is surely hell.
I am here and I do not regret it. It depends on what you are here for. If you are immature enough to be looking for a bollywood college life, then ideally do not come to any T1 NLU.
Thank you for saying this. People want to join the best and not work their best. Law school is supposed to grind you. Trust me when you join corporate you'll feel more at ease. Otherwise you'll cry like a baby when you have to slog for 12-14 hours in the initial years.
All other people who are from chiller law schools seem to be doing fine after joining corp. So your theory is just that, an unproven theory. You need not grind students into dust in order to help them learn at law school. That's an outdated perspective. The UK top law schools allow for all sorts of co curricular and extra curricular activities too.
It's pretty interesting that folk here consider having a balanced life as some sort of demand that's made only by spoilt and lazy rich kids who want a "bollywood college life". Sigma grindset influencers and corp culture gurus are grooming an entire generation. And it's funny too, considering that those who lead a balanced life and have hobbies they actively engage in, play sports and engage eagerly in extracurriculars are not only the happiest ones, but are most often the ones who succeed in the rat race that y'all are so enamoured with. It's almost always the ones who sacrifice every other facet of life for their studies who get left behind and then have existential crises, as they watch those whom they looked down upon for engaging in "wastes of time" surge ahead of them in every aspect possible.
Balanced life.. what's that ? Come and play in corporate kiddo. Join the bigg bois and then you'll see what unbalanced life is. Sudhir is doing well to train them to sit for 12 hours and study. 1st 10 years this is the lifestyle they will have. Better to adapt now or perish later. Soft kids.
You didn't lead such a life at law school yourself. So why are you exhibiting this streak of sadism?
I didn't and that's why the first 5 years were brutal to the point of wanting to off myself. So from experience I'm telling you.. university being tough on you will help you more than anything in the world . I wish that we had Sudhir during our time, would have made me more disciplined for law firms.
I didn't either. And I adapted to law firm life just fine. Why even stop at the university then? Just get people enrolled in army camps from childhood. What ridiculous argument!
Sudhir has objectively improved standards and the student body is just stupid. How can you not deal with 75% attendance and then just get frustrated with a couple of deadlines to call for protest, ******* snowflakes.

Bhaad mein gaya trilaterals, study for exams.
Agreed, other law schools would be crying to have him as their vc. He carries a vision with him and his working towards it, and for the extra curriculars and sports thingy, who’s stopping students from attending fests, clubbing, participating in various tournaments which aren’t university affiliated? Someone rightly pointed out here and I strongly agree that NLS has some kids who aren’t there to make their career trajectory shine bright but only to milk the brand value NLS carries and do all sorts of stuff on campus apart from actually studying. Trust me guys, there are a LOT of students inside NLS who support the academic efforts put in by Sudhir but they’re doing their job unlike some hoarding and opening new LI threads.
*other law schools would be crying after having got him as their VC.
Yes, that's how law school should be. Rigorous. If you can't take it, then drop out after a year and study something else that your mindset may be more suitable for.
Objectively improved standards how? Are more students performing better in any field? Winning more moots/competitions/scholarships/jobs? How has he helped the students doing better that they already had not been doing before him? The only objective things that he has done are to increase student and faculty numbers, though not in the same proportion.
Not really. Stats show otherwise, man. You should really start paying attention.
Yeah and how are they going to deal with 90% attendance from next year? He already mentioned it in class once
As a hard working student who pays attention in class, I really hope this 90% rule is enforced. It's really disgusting to see people who are not serious watching movies on their laptops, not participating in class or disrupting.
If they can clear all the evaluation even without attending classes, then either the teacher is redundant or the course simply does not require that much effort. Either way, they can still become good lawyers, so who are you to tell them that they shouldn't?
Honestly, as a senior in NLS, it's good that sudhir has canned these events. Frees up time and resource for other things. If you want to party, you are always free to go to Amity/Jindal/symbi
If you are not interested then don't participate. Is anyone forcing you to participate? How is it eating your time away?
If you want to be subjected to school like discipline, then you can always go back to school instead of staying at a university.
The VC shouldn't get to choose all by himself how such resources are to be spent, especially when he is relying almost exclusively on student fees to get such resources.
its his job to. Its the students job to study. just because you pay fees- doesnt mean we let you have some unfettered control over the institution. this is still a government owned institution. Patients in a hospital pay bills- we dont let them take whatever drugs they want. A good VC will allow students to tell him what they want and consult with students, faculty, staff, alumni and other stakeholders. But hes the only guy responsible for what happens at the end of it- if it turns out that even one bad thing happens because he gives into student pressure and does some populist nonsense- that will be on him. Lets move away from the immediate context.

Beginning of the pandemic students did not want to leave university and go home. But if there was an outbreak of covid on campus and students got sick- the VC couldnt throw his hands up and say " oh well the students wanted to stay and they pay the fees". Its his job to take the punches. And its his job to make decisions and morally lead the university. Just because you disagree with him- doesnt mean youre being cheated out of anything at all.
You are creating a strawman argument. Nobody has asked for unfettered control, nor does anyone want the VC to give up running the institution. What you have said about a good VC consulting the stakeholders and trying to reach a solution that doesn't compromise his vision nor imposes unrealistic burden or compliance on the stakeholders, that's precisely what Sudhir doesn't do. He makes up his own mind and then everyone has to follow him without any dissent. He's got a reputation of not being a team player or even manager. Be it consortium, VC ship or faculty position. If majority face similar problems working with this guy, then one has to consider the possibility that he's not the best of leaders.
You and I mean different things by what consultation comprises of.

Have you made your voice heard? Has he heard you? Thats it. Thats all it is. He does not have to engage further to argue an issue ad nauseum or go along with you on any issue if he does not think your argument is reasonable. Thats the job for which he is hired.

Consultation is not compromise. He can consult- but he does not have to compromise at all if he thinks other people are wrong. Thats why hes the VC. I dont think the consortium is made up of many great reasonable people. Theyre all ethically problematic/ corrupt from where im sitting and hardly any of them have a reasonable record as a scholar.
As faculty Sudhir has worked with a number of scholars in his research and teaching. He publishes a lot with peers and younger academics, he has helped a lot of people get their careers off the ground. The man ran CLPR - he seems to have been okay working with people there. His PACT project hes working with academics in foreign institutions, on meta oversight board hes working with other people. I dont think there is evidence at all that hes some crazed power hungry authoritarian. Hes had a career where hes by and large gotten along with people. It is true that once he has heard the other side and decided theyre not right- hes not shy about saying that to them. And hes not shy about going it alone even if hes facing a mob. That used to be called having a backbone. But Ive worked with the man and Ive told him hes wrong on stuff frequently, other people I worked with also challenged him. He certainly listened to all of us and changed when we had convinced him.

If you simply wanted to be consulted as a member of the nls academic community- you wouldnt be foregrounding it in " we pay fees for your salary". Thats asking for a particular kind of corruption that there is no end to. Faculty after all are a liability and not an asset on the books- so should we make faculty do exactly what fee payers want? do you think that would lead to a university you can be proud of? Students at private law universities in India use the same language to demand better grades, to demand all standards of academic rigor be scrapped, and those places are degree mills- Do you want to turn NLS into a degree mill? That is where that argument leads.

In fact most students dont actually pay fees- their parents do. Do you want a university where the VC and faculty communicate with your parents and not you? A university where your parents get to decide what curfew times are and what books can be read and what subjects taught? and what grades you will get? Theyre paying fees right? what will your degree be worth then? Might as well be in sonipat.

The VC is as responsible to the guards who man the gates and the workers who wash the dishes in the canteens as he is to the students. He can listen to all of them, but it is his decision to do what is right. and his responsibility if it goes wrong.
When has he taken responsibility when he's been proven wrong though? Did he pay back the NLAT fees out of his own pocket? Did he compensate the PhD scholars whose theses he sat on in flagrant violation of any regulation? Your description of consultation is as inaccurate as it is comical. You're saying that once he's heard others, he can simply say that he's right and the others are wrong without any further justification. You keep mentioning his academic status while discussing admin concerns. Please name these multiple publications that he's done, since his own google scholar profile hardly mentions even a 2-digit peer reviewed work. Compared to him, many law school faculty have got better publication record. Your experience working with him may say otherwise, our experience now is saying otherwise. Did the Consortium VC's backgrounds made him decide to follow opacity? What ridiculous arguments! His CLPR experience is irrelevant here and doesn't merit discussion, his work in the context of law schools does.
He can listen. He doesn't. Listening doesn't mean being present in the same room, it is also to show that you're paying attention and engaging with people.

If everything that he does is his sole responsibility, then why are you defending him from the fallout of that? Let him do it himself where he can.

Parents paying fees? I can't believe that you're a lawyer, making that shitty argument. Will the university hold the parent responsible if fees are not paid, or the student? In whose name does the fee get deposited? Who will be forced to discontinue their studies if the fees aren't paid? Do you have any ground to suggest that my parents do not agree with me about my concerns? Did Sudhir ask them? With that kind of argument, your claim of having worked with Sudhir and being mentored by him is rendered almost comical. Almost.
A 69-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 23-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 29-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.