Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
A chaat vendor near my house sells chaat for Rs 60. He seems at least 100 chaats a day. That's at least Rs 1.,200 per day in cash (which he presumably doesn't declare to tax authorities). So isn't he better off than most lawyers?
Inb4 everyone starts talking about "long-term growth". The pani puri vendor has even more capital to upgrade his stall into a shop. In Litigation you aren't even earning enough to meet your expenses unless you're living with your parents so you're not even generating enough capital to upgrade in the long run. If it weren't a matter of dignity and societal shaming, I'd be selling pani puri.
Prima facie, yes. It seems however that tou have not accounted for inventory/ overhead costs, haftas, lawful charges payable, etc. Be also mindful of the fact that raw material costs keep rising everyday.
I have been thinking the same. Infact, I went around the town and asked different street food vendors about their selling numbers. I am sad to tell you that even the smallest panipuri vendor makes β‚Ή1000-β‚Ή1500 net profit on weekdays and β‚Ή3000-β‚Ή3500 on weekends in my non-metro city.

There's a reason why young graduates are turning to foodpreneur. Its good business. Its not that stressful like Law or MBA or MBBS .

In short, you can !
There was a Marwari family in Kolkata called the Agarwal family. They used to sell chanachur and namkeen on the footpath, then started a shop called Bikaner Bhujiawala. The family eventually founded Haldirams, which is today a Rs 5,000-crore company with a pan-India presence. I don't think even the Shroff brothers have made that much money.
Why is this contested? Moderator, stop sucking up to the Shroffs! The Shroffs are NOT richer than the Haldirams people, unless you obviously include Paridhi’s family.
As despicable as Cyril is, he definitely has more money than that. Not paying people as much as his competitors do, shady travel agencies for firm related travel bookings, renting out an office space in a major office complex part-owned by him - not to mention the Shroff legacy money - amongst many other shenanigans. As terrible as that man is, he ensures that he has a bank balance much heftier than himself - even if at the cost of people who work him or people who give him work. The Adani marriage wouldn't have happened otherwise.
If the Haldirams family is worth 5000 crore then Cyril and his wife’s worth will be at least double.
The reason that panipuri vendor is making that much is because he isn't paying tax on that
^I am the one who posted about panipuri stats.

Let me add today's experience.

So, I went to my state university today to pick my chutya younger bhai. On our way back, that little pesky monkey asked me for coconut water. We stopped near a street vendor Thela.

Price was β‚Ή50 for one. We got two for ourselves. During the day, I had already posted above panipuriwala comment. Now, I asked coconut water wala vendor about his sales. He replied "50-60 coconut per day" during winter & monsoon and "100-200 coconuts " during summer.

Just now I also met my fiance (She is doing her PG in orthopedic) . Me and her went to this street momo vendor. He is actually occupying a space in front of a small departmental store . The momo vendor occupies about 800-1000 sq ft of street space . Along with steamed momos , he also sells full range of chinese food , tandoori momos , kurkure momos and variety of pasta. I asked him if he pays rent for the space he is occupying to owner of departmental store.

Here's the shocking reply "Ha , β‚Ή27,000"

I was very surprised when he told me that. I told him that he is paying a lot of rent. He told me that the departmental store owner allows his customer to sit and use tables which momo-vendor has placed inside departmentsl store. The vendor also uses refriegderator of departmentsl store guy. So he is paying β‚Ή27,000 .

Imagine, β‚Ή27000 is his rent. He is also paying 2-3 other cooks and other expenses. If he is monthly expenses is so much, then I guess his earning must be upwards of 1L per month (gross) on tough months and 1.25L (net) on easy months.
Hilarious comment bhai! Love the reference to your younger brother! And congrats on your engagement. You are lucky to marry a doctor girl!
(Sorry for typos in my earlier comment)

Thanks . It was not lucky to bag a doctor . I worked hard since school time. I used to follow her , haha. I got scolded and threated by her old dad and brother many times too all these years. She was a Bio Geek / Scholar Child. I was awara who definitely did not amount to much in life . I was managing my dad's cloth business on the side while I completed my CA + Law (3 years) . I should be honest that I did CA SOLELY to become eligible to marry her. I have own proprietorship firm now. Doing fine in monetary side too.
Bhai asked coconut water so he became chutya monkey and fiance asked momo uska kuch nahi. Double standards. Hypocrite.
These examples belong to product industry, whereas service industry like legal has different challenges, opportunities.

You can never scale selling pani puri or bhel, howsoever enticing it sounds as a junior. There are too many competitors, perhaps each after 50 meters in some cities. You can do premium billing as a pani puri vendor. Service industry players like law firms, accounting firms can.

We are often driven by the desire to leave law - because of no/less work life balance, opportunities etc. This is okay, but comparing it to selling pani puri may something not be okay.
No kidding, ab to mereko bhi ye karneka hai. To begin with, I can cook, and also have a permanent residence in a metro city
Ik who someone who has actually done this in Dadar, Mumbai and is making good money from it.
Out Hon'ble PM has also endorsed it. so I think it is a good option
yes, 80 % of the people are in business, some make it big, some medium, some enough to live.
Those who will comment that it's all about growth as a lawyer... food cart business gives passive money
There is a Korean street food van in my city, which also displays photos of BTS, Blackpink etc and plays Kpop songs. The dude has thousands of customers, who are typically 13 year old girls who listen to such cringe. Smart marketing strategy.
Yes. But in today's day and age it highly depends on marketing. Look at MBA chaiwala. How he's expanding and has atleast one store in major shopping malls in major cities. After a certain point of time every job becomes a business. And the one who can manage employees, land, capital and machinery will be rich. Read desi stories of haldiram, bikanerwala, MBA chaiwala and all the local restaurants that have expanded. You'll get an idea.
It's still thriving and growing. Check the status before you speak.
A 9-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.