Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I am getting a clerkship at DHC under a coveted Bench. However I am unsure whether to go for it or not. Any advice considering my end goal is to be placed at a firm?

Recent graduate from CLC. Have a decent CV but am not getting firm offers as of now. Some chambers are coming my way but they aren't known as such though I am sure I will learn stuff there. Any advice seniors? How do law firms view judicial clerkships as an experience while recruiting?
Hi buddy, I am from the same college and have seen my peers taking this path. I would suggest you to take up this role since it will open many other doors for you. If you do well, sometime judges refer their clerks to law firms and seniors as well. Also, other than just being clerk I would advise you to expand your network without any conflict of interest. A batch mate of mine, after clerkship got a job in the ministry as a legal consultant because of this referral. This opportunity will open many doors of litigation, its all on you how you capitalize on this opportunity. Legal profession is all about networking whether you are clerk, lawyer, counsel, in house etc... As for me, I worked in litigation, in house, law firms to understand what suits me better. You may also take up the opportunity that is coming presently and if you don't like it, then you can always leave and try something better.
Hi, thanks for replying candidly. Do you think it would be helpful even if I have no plans of pursuing an LLM? Do law firms consider this experience?
Bhai LLM is for academics and it will not be counted in your experience as such. And since you are from DU, you can pursue 3 year LLM course along with the job. And yes, it will be counted as an experience (clerkship) and you might easily get into disputes team of any big law firm. All HC judges were once accomplished lawyers who were briefed by these law firms only. All judges have great connection with big law firms. Try capitalising on that and work as hard as you can in your clerkship period.
Which bench?? Is it with the CJ? I had seen that there was a vacancy there.
Hello there, I had a colleague at my office who was also from your college. He got an opportunity with a Judge and he switched immediately. Its a no brainer. Go for it.
Stop nonsense... Kuch or dhang ka krle dost, 5/3yr law krke clerk ? Clerk is clerk whether it is at SC or anywhere nothing special & not much oppurtunity will get...research before join
You research lmao, law clerk/judicial researcher is totally different from whatever paper pusher you are envisaging and some of the top academics of the country like Prof Surendranath, Bhatia have clerked for SC judges. It is very very prestigious in the Western eye.
This is a perspective, please state your reasons for the same. It is always better to have 2 set of opinion.
Ahh I see batch of 27 and 28 have found LI. Law clerks are research assistants to judges. They get to even research/work on judgements, gain a lot of insights on the working of the Constitutional Courts and the networking possibilities are endless. In the US too, clerkship is a very prestigious thing. "Dost" you should also research (believe me, the profession you're joining, research is its lifeblood).
how does one secure a clerkship at the dhc? I hear they dont have an exam, unlike the SC
Where exactly? I can't seem to find the emails? Sorry if my question is silly
Brother follow Linkedin and get connected to all presents law researchers and clerks attached to judges. Usually they only post about vacancies in the judges chamber. It will be easy for identification of these jobs if you expand your network connection on Linkedin.