Read 41 comments as:
Filter By
PQE 4, first gen.

Practicing in Delhi. Worked for the first two years with an established lawyer, then started on my own. My average earnings have been around 1L pm. About 50% goes into expenses & salaries.
What's with this reply? The fact that they're pulling in an average of 1Lpm as a first gen with just 4 years of PQE and that too in a market like Delhi is fabulous. Firms have really skewed some people's perception of how litigation works.

@OP - all the best bro!
are you serious? cause imo thats great. how are you getting clients? how many hours do you work in a day?
Hello,

Thanks for the kind words. Especially because I was having some doubts - I see other people making way more than I do lol.

Clients are mostly through referrals only. I have done a lot of pro bono work (still do), so people started trusting me. When they trust, they refer. That's basically what I've learnt.

Plus some lawyers too refer some work every now and then.

The work hours also differ vastly. On some days, it could be 14-15 hours, but then there are days with just one court appearance and nothing much to do afterwards also. On an average, I don't stay in office beyond 7-8PM.
So after four years you're still making less than a Tier 1 fresher, why didnt you ever consider joining a Tier 1? With your PQE they would even want to recruit you
Behind who? People who keep venting non stop about the toxicity in law firms and how bad their mental and/or physical health is?
the bitter mouths are the loudest, the tier 1s ive worked at were stressful but the environment was pleasant and co-operative. theres a world outside of legallyindia too lol
I simply do not understand why everything needs to be about money. Can't someone pursue litigation because they like it better than the work which one has to do in a law firm?
I went into litigation with same mindset. It is too taxing. Inflation catches up. Unable to marry too.
Yeah, litigation is never a good idea for men. You have to go through your late 20s and 30s all alone because no one marries a broke guy.
Hi, I'm the guy you responded to.

As someone else has said, mental sanity over money. Yes, even if it puts me back 10 years. What I make is still sufficient for me. As long as it's sufficient, I'm fine. I'd rather have my mental sanity than earn 20x I do right now. I mean it.

The flexibility is actually a big aspect. Much better than my friends who are at law firms. If I have to go for a trip, I get to do that. If I have to attend a wedding, I get to attend it on my terms. If I fall sick, I get to focus on health rather than worry about reporting to office. (of course, I still have to worry about cases & clients - but comparatively, it's relaxed)

Then there's work satisfaction also. Not much to be said for this, I guess - I enjoy my work.

To me, your question (including the "to the extent that you fall 10 years behind" response) appears faulty. Just because there's more money in something doesn't make it desirable to be pursued. There's also big bucks in, say, medicine - but that doesn't mean I'll pursue MBBS regardless of my passions & priorities.
we live in a world where self-worth is equated to monetary net-worth, do you ever feel the FOMO of missing out on making money when you see your friends at law firms?
Hi, did you work with a senior advocate? how much did you get paid as stipend? I have started working with a chamber a few months ago and the pay is abysmal and the opportunity to grow is also not a lot I believe. How did you grow connections and get your own work? any tips?
Hi

I worked with a senior - though not a "designated" senior. He is quite reputed in his field, with mostly trial work.

My first stipend was 10k. He liked my work, it was increased to 15k in about 3 months. The last stipend I drew, after about 2 years, was 25k. I had been taking up independent work since day 1, my senior had no issues with that (as long as his work wasn't affected). I took up a lot of pro bono matters.

Networking is the key, you have to do it like crazy. The earlier you start, the better it is. I'd like to believe I had started, albeit slowly, back in law school itself. Reach out to your school batchmates, attend as many social events as possible, etc. Be known as the lawyer in the group. Make sure you have a good reputation - so that people know that if they bring an issue to you, you wouldn't be money hungry or get lazy about their concerns.
More than 7 years of practice before a Regional High Court. With Net Profit ranging between 24 - 28 Lakhs Annually.

Having read the other comments, I want to say the ones who try to bring monetary angles everywhere. I did not spend 5 years in law school or aspire to become a lawyer to spend my time over a desk and do spell check or find whether documents are in order. Unless you have a drive for litigation, you will not enter it and you will not stay in it. This is not a race for money. You have plenty of options for earning but it has something more to it which is hard to explain.
Been 3 years working as a litigator in Bengaluru, 6 months since going independent. Was paid Rs. 24,000/- at the time of leaving my senior's chamber...after starting on my own first 2 months were difficult with hardly any income.. next 2 months income met expenses and last months I've managed profit and next month again I do not what will happen. But atleast despite worries, liberty is there in so many professional and personal aspects and liberty is worth the cost that comes through taking risks. I keep myself busy by updating myself and networking in the ample amount of free time that I'm getting and strongly hope that things get better with each passing month
PQE 11- Independent Practice. Delhi. First Gen. Annual Turnover around 30L. Way less than peers in corporate but definitely worth it.
Ok, sorry. Didi se kaise baat karein ? I feel shy ! So, Bhaiya willdo the trick for me!
Kerala High Court

8 PQE

15LPA + in hand after expenses (junior, car, clerk and office expenses)
5 pqe (T1 NLU + Oxbridge LLM), various courts/tribunals in Delhi. Practice has been great thus far, making 3 LPM now (more in some months). But I've now started earning close to what my college peers at law firms make. I've engaged a junior and an intern, plus a clerk - that's the main expense. Did 1 year with a top tier Sr Adv, then went independent. Full disclosure: I do come from a family in the profession (dad and grandad were HC judges in a medium sized state), so getting clients was a bit easier in the beginning. But I feel that early advantage lasts only for 1-2 years, after that it's your capabilities and merit that will speak, and be appreciated by the judges/tribunals.
Pls can we connect, I am struggling hard in a smaller city and dont come from NLU or Foreign LLM or contacts. I am planning to move to Delhi but absolutely dont know anyone there. I will verify and send you all my details. Please help. Kindly help please.

my email is seriouspen@mail.com , I can send you my facebook and linkedin once you connect with me.