Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
Hi everyone!

I’m joining a T1 in Mumbai later this year as an A0. The office would be in Lower Parel.

Where do people usually live, any suggestions for areas which aren’t far off/have direct connectivity and which don’t have insane rent? I’m not really willing to exceed beyond 35k, for more than that it’s a bit jarring when I think that half of what I’ll be working for every month would just be to have a roof over my head. I’ve been doing some online research and my North Indian brain cannot comprehend the places I’m seeing and the prices they go for.

Any other suggestions or tips for a newbie or something which I should avoid? Feel free to rank.
You are willing to spend 35k a month on rent while earning 70k a month?? Umm......
Look out for Vashi creek areas (Chembur, Vashi, Kopar Khairane, Airoli) and far off locations in Thane (Kasarvadavali etc.). You might be able to get a pretty decent 1.5/2 BHK at that price range. There are Cityflo buses starting early morning to major areas such as Fort, Andheri, etc. (not sure about Parel though). Ofcourse your travel time will be minimum 1.5h in the morning. It might be 2.5-3h in the evening, if planning to leave around 7/8pm. Alternately, you can always board a late night local for these areas.
Thank you for the suggestions, although it seems unlikely that I’ll be in a position to spend that much time on commute because the team usually has really long hours, but I’ll keep this in mind.
Look at 1 BHK's in Ghatkopar and Sion. Even few properties in Dadar - Naigaon, Shivaji Park etc (1 RK and not 1 BHK) may fall within your budget. Plus, Dadar is very close to Lower Parel and has all the amenities you would need. Also look for 1 RK apartments in the Chinchpokli - Lalbaug belt (be prepared for a lot of noise though during Ganesh Chaturthi).
Thank you! This was very helpful. Just a follow up question, do fresher associates usually opt for this or PGs?
No general trend as such. But from what little I know, most law firm associates prefer their own accommodation and not PG's. It would be better to have your own space in an otherwise extremely chaotic city, thereby giving you some alone / me time.
Hey!

Your general rent will range from 30-45k per month, depending on where you take a place. A room in Lodha or Crescent Bay will cost you around 40-45k whereas if you take it in an old building, it can range from 30-40k.

Now coming to the areas where you should take a place. Avoid places from where you can't take a train/direct transportation. I moved and stayed in Parel initially and got a cheap 1BHK only to realize that I am paying much more to travel to and fro from the office. Decided to move to a place on the Western line and while my rent has increased by 5k, I save a lot by taking the train to work (literally costs 5 bucks). Would suggest that you look for places either in Matunga/Dadar West or Mahim West. Bandra/Khar are more expensive areas but many people live in Santacruz and take the AC local to work. Any place is the Western Line is also easier for you to commute to other places like bars and restaurants so you save more on Uber.
Hi, thank you for a detailed response, I really appreciate it. I’ll bookmark this, it would be quite helpful later.
If you want to live near office and save travelling time, then you would want to look at places in South Mumbai (which starts after Matunga). Rent at these places might be towards the upper end of your 35K budget or even more depending on the nature of the society and amenities. If you go towards north (the suburbs), you will find cheaper accomodation at the cost of increased travel time. And trust me you would not want to spend an hour in local trains travelling to office when you are burdened with work.
That makes sense, I can’t spend more than an hour and half a day on commute, I guess that would mean shelling out more for a place. Thanks!
@mods why aren’t the comments published? They might be helpful.
Why aren’t the comments on this post published? I could really use the help mods, what’s with this selective moderation?
You can look for both pg and flats in dadar or mahim and travel by bus everyday it takes only 5 rs