Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I'm part of an up-and-coming IP law firm that's making waves on social media and beyond. My supervising partner, however, has drafted me into a matter where she knowingly filed fabricated documents (in an IP infringement lawsuit). Joined the profession long after the incident. Now, I'm on the vakalat and worried about the fallout from her professional lapses in handling this case. The opposing counsel has us on knife point with material that proves beyond doubt that the documents we filed are falsified, and with the hearing date fast approaching, I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable.

I like the firm overall but don't want my name tied to this mess. Unlike her and the other founders, I don’t come from privilege. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Expose this IP law firm and its rogue partner right here. I'm confident that the LI Reader community will rally behind a newly minted-lawyer who bears no fault in this matter.

Consider these options:

1. Request paid leave for the day when this matter is scheduled.

2.Initiate an internal email chain addressing the perjury issue, seeking reinforcements for counterarguments. Show initiative, present possible solutions, and explain where you may need support; be a team player in your approach.

3.If the judge questions you about these fabricated records, explain that you became involved many years after the act. State that the drafting counsel or your supervising partner is better equipped to explain.

Whatever happens - do not let this rogue partner have any shot of throwing you under the bus. This can only happen with sufficient internal communication through email and group chats from your end on this matter. Remember - be solution-oriented in these communications with compelling legal arguments. Do not perpetuate fraud with fraud - that'll bind you to her mess.

Good luck!
Are these suggestions even serious? Bump. Hoping 2nd cry for good advice is a charm!
If she's the person I suspect, be aware that this isn't her first blunder. She's widely recognised in our circles as a shallow, foolish, and unpleasant character, never hesitating to cut corners. It's just a matter of time; the courts will undoubtedly slap her with a punishment so fitting it'll be the talk of the town. And yes, perjury in IP cases is rampant in India. It's unfortunate that our jurisprudence on it is as wafer-thin as the papadam that I am eating right now!
Are you by any chance speaking about the same person whose initials are similar to the title of a well-known movie about a gutka-chewing alien being stranded on Earth?
Hey folks, my bad! I showed up here hoping to get some solid tips on how to handle Mrs Pumpkin PompousPrat and her mess without spilling the beans on her name πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ
I would put in my papers. No point starting a career in an unethical place. Better to be jobless than without a reputation.
Though you did a fine job in giving a fair few pointers to identity of your partner, despite you only wanting guidance on your predicament!