Read 37 comments as:
Filter By
I am a newbie, I am thinking of prepping for Law school entrance exams 2025 and get into law school in 2025.

I have heard many bad things about law as a profession here but that goes with every other profession I believe.

Now, write your hearts out. Give whatever gyaan and good advices you wanna give.

Thank you.

The floor is all yours.
Lol pehla advice hoga to leave LI if you want a decent mental health. Kaam ki baate linkedin ya baaki platforms pe mil jaayengi. Anonymous logo ka baat and opinion sunna band kardo. Mai kyu hu LI pe? Cause mera sanity was already depleted.
Alright I got your concern.

But, I wanna ask about your mental health. Is that got deteriorated because of the law career that you are in/were in or for some other reason?

Thank you Sir/Ma'am.
If u wanna have the worst life in any profession possible, join law. Thank you.
I just gave my insights. This profession is ruled by middle-aged uncles and aunts who think that youngsters are their slaves and go to any lengths to establish their own kids in this profession. NLUs have brought about the corporate law firm culture a bit but it's all very artificial and wouldn't last long. I am assuming u are a first generation lawyer , it is no use bereting your respect to such a low level honestly. Law is no longer a noble profession as it was years ago.
Okay. Thank you.

But, don't you think that Law is a social instrument that we can use to change societal norms and behaviors? So as students of law, are we not supposed to try our best to make the worth of our legal education and bring change in society, especially in workplaces?

I have read and heard that many self-made senior advocates treat their juniors well and also pay decently and help them grow in their life. Can't we be like them?
Ye sab nautanki nikal jayegi internship me hi.

Don't give too much importance to law.
No jobs. Better to do grad & MBA plus prepare for govt jobs. At the end of 5 years you will have to be the 0.1% to avail the best opportunities. Sadly not everyone is that brilliant. Law now does not have place for average students anymore. Otherwise you'll end up litigating for peanuts for the next decade post graduating.
I got your concern. But, isn't all the industry pretty much the same for mediocre and below average people?

Nowadays, even in govt jobs you have to work a lot hard for some 40-50k or so.

Yes, I got your concern that Litigation pays peanuts. But, what if I get into a Top 5 NLUs then work really damn hard and land a good in house role then I think I will earn decent and have a decent life and may be try for judiciary exams.
Law degree is not transferable. Forget countries, even across states, people are being involved in local nepotism whether through institution or place or language.

Degrees like b.tech or MBA or MBBS will help you get a foot through anywhere in the world. Any job. Any place. Even if you're average. Hell, even merchant navy or hospitality management or air stewardship is more in demand than law. Only way out is if you're the 0.1% in law, been abroad or have enough to finance being abroad.
I am an arts stream in 12th. So, engineering and medicine is not an option for me either. And I like social sciences and humanities. So law is a good career option from that POV as I am not particularly interested in pursuing a career in the government services where most arts graduates go ahead.
u fucked up big time then dude. Arts and humanities is irrelevant today? what will u do, become a painter or, or study an exotic subject like anthrpology or something?
Spoken like someone who has got no idea about how the real world works or the needs of the industry. Just to give an example, do you know the money that an arts student can make in the advertising industry?
A rejected painter once tried to rule the world. Don't underestimate them.
If you're in arts & are fine in maths, try economics instead. Loads of demand for an eco honours graduate, esp if you can involve some data analyst course as well. Moreover you'll save two years. If, however you still feel like doing law, 3 years is there.

However, if you join law today, you will at any cost have to finish the five years to gain something. I don't want to discourage you, just trying to tell you that at the end of the rainbow you may not find gold.

If you still want to pursue law desperately, go only to the top 5-6 law schools and geniunely work you derriere off; build connections, do great internships, focus on studies. It's tough. But all the best 👍🏽
I took humanities particularly because I hated maths and science in school and could barely pass those subjects in boards. So, eco is out.

But, when I did arts, I got 92+% in 12th from WB State board. So, I am quite happy with my performance.

Btw, thank you for showing some positivity regarding my plan of studying law.
92% in Arts not a big deal. Just like 45% in Science.

I had 94% in Science.
Well, it was for me a big deal. I have to put a lot of hours into it over 2 years to get that score. I don't know about science. But, I know one fact CBSE gives a lot of marks to their students even if their answers are not that good.

I am not saying that you're from CBSE or something. Just saying for a fact.

Lastly, vernacular medium education is tough.
For god sake there js no work life balance everyday you would jn fear of constantly study and work
Did Eco hons from Sri Venkateswara college and got placed at Bain with 20 lpa package. Now finding it difficult to find a job that pays 25k per month
Stop lying, my friend is making 65k in hand after bcom hons from srcc. Stop spewing bs, ctc was 14 but they included next year's bonus
@Mod: Lately I've been seeing this very objectionable adjective appearing quite often in the comments, maybe the same person has been writing these. Please redact it if you can, don't know how an educated person can use it in this day and age as a derogatory remark.
Get into either of the Top-3 NLUs, then get into Corp

Paisa milega at least

Don't get into litigation

EVER

AT ALL

Paisa, health, sanity, khushi: sab kuch ek, ek karke khatam ho jayegaIn fact, in most cases, simultaneously khatam hoga

BTW, paisa maa-baap ka, coz you don't earn here
Maybe you're not cut out for litigation. Don't discourage others.
Litigation is worst if you are 1st gen lawyer and from not so established law school (mediocre college) . Max pay for 1st gen is avg 15-k that is for delhi mumbai and other big cities max to max 25-30k. Litigation is best for established people who are coming from big or higher class family who can sustain themselves for few starting 5-7 year. Established people/ multi gen of Lawyer can get east entry into established senior's chambers
A 9-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.