Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I would like to start a thread asking honest opinions, suggestions and recommendations from seniors in the legal profession. Be it practising advocates, founders of chambers, law firm partners and associates, academicians and other experts.

I am writing this especially for graduates from 2022 and 2023 batches (but I hope it helps future batches as well). Being a member of this group and finding myself dissatisfied with how I am doing career wise, I have seen my peers also find themselves in vicious circle of career dissatisfaction. While some are still struggling to start with a stable role, many are headed to large urban places for litigation and law firms jobs. Others are continuing with their judiciary exam preparations and many more say that they would go for Masters. On the obvious part, mental stress, working hours, no good pay and feeling of being disconnected to family run through every answer. While my schoolmates in other professions also continue to survive the journey, they sing the similar song (though many not explicitly say it) that the discontent with their current position is something that haunt them.

Dear Seniors, what would be some positive things that you would like to say to cheer us up. How do we shed our impatience, get going with the uncertainties around us, assimilate and acclimatise more fluidly at workplace and become more caring, responsible and composite towards not just our near ones but people of various backgrounds around us.

They say these are challenging times to be on the planet, with so much going on. And you all have sailed through such challenges and have a knack of dealing with it. Please throw us some light, vent liveliness and walk us through your journey.

The floor is all yours!!
Correct. Gen Z suffers from a terrible sense of entitlement, which eventually makes life hard for them. They have it too easy at university, with dilution of standards and grade inflation. When they start working in the real world, they are unable to cope, having never really worked hard or learnt the law properly.

Another related problem is wokeness and resistance to discipline and authority. You need to have a strong work ethic to be a successful lawyer. But again, this generation has become habituated to opposing rules and regulations. When they join the legal profession, they struggle because no one listens to your tantrums here.
Exactly. Don't mindlessly focus on your moots unless its a reputed international one and have atleast 5 quality papers. Trust me it will help when you get inside law firms where you will be judged for your emails and legal opinions mid diligence exercises. Also streamline your area of expertise from fourth year onwards, don't be a fool with 5 internships in 5 different practice areas and hope for getting a T1 internship/placement; unless of course you have sucked up to your professors and have an inflated GPA. See you guys soon and cheers.
Your career is a marathon, not a sprint. The key is to keep learning and growing and the ability to contribute meaningfully to every situation. Always remember you are a lawyer and can be very powerful in every sphere of life. Here are some simple tips for your career and life. I hope these help you as much as it helped me:

1. Be Patient: Your career will last a long time, so don't rush. Learning takes time, especially in the first 10 years. Remember this is a profession where you can work till the day you die and you will be the best at what you do only when you incorporate your learnings and your experience into every new case. Hence, your first few jobs don't matter. Just focus on places that let you learn the most.
2. Don't Chase Money and Fame: Instead, focus on doing good work consistently. Money and recognition will come later. Money and fame can be very addictive so avoid that trap. Look at some of the senior lawyers on social media. They are only looking to show the world their latest award, which if you didn't realise, is all paid for. The taste of money and fame will make you that kind of person.
3. Don't Compare Yourself: Comparing to others can make you feel bad. Compare yourself to your past self and aim to improve.
4. Take Care of Your Health: Don't let your job harm your physical or mental health. If it does, it's time to leave. The cues to this are simple; do you wake up happy and looking forward to work? If not, then it's time to get out!
5. Live Happy: Don't chase things you can't afford. Focus on what makes you happy.
6. Be Kind: Treat others well. It helps in your work and life. Don't be that senior partner who yells at everyone just because its the 'in' thing that has now become part of your nature.
7. Think Like an Solo Lawyer, always: Work towards a future where you can work for yourself and help others be in clients or younger lawyers.
8. Learn Technology: Understand AI and tech because they are changing the legal field. The legal profession is on the brink of significant changes due to AI and technology. Learning how AI works and how to operate it can give you a head start in this evolving landscape. Many legal jobs will change in the next few years so your ability to adapt to the new system is vital.
9. Prioritize Happiness: Do what makes you happy, not just what makes money. Pursue what genuinely makes you happy and build your life and career around those passions. Don't fall into the trap of chasing money as a sole measure of success, as it often comes at the cost of other important aspects of life.
10. Don't Believe Everything on Social Media: People often show a perfect life online, but real life has ups and downs. Focus on your journey and growth rather than comparing yourself to curated online images. Treat that like watching a movie and be happy for the actors in it. But do not judge your own life based on it!
Get ready to develop a major thick skin and a major resistance to the fuck ups of office politics.