Read 43 comments as:
Filter By
So I got NLU Jodhpur in the first list, the college that I had aimed to be at ever since I decided to write CLAT (And since there inevitably will be some comments about NLUD and GNLU, I would like to specify that I respect both of those colleges, but let this not be a discussion about them, please).

1. Seniors, what are some good places to hang out near NLUJ? Like where do you guys usually go out to chill? (I heard something about an SDL park). And how is the city of Jodhpur in general? Are there enough walkable places to explore?

2. Is managing the exam schedule as difficult as it is made out to be? And with the new VC are there any changes expected?

3. Should I prefer BBALLB over BALLB? Or is the faculty/situation different from before?

4. Do you guys have any group of sorts to help juniors? (Like some seniors at NLIU/NUJS seem to have created one for their juniors)
4. We have groups for ragging juniors. It will help with your character development.
I'm pretty sure you are the most lifeless group if you have a group just to rag the juniors, get a life, the juniors will have a way better life than you guys anyways. character development it seems.
Actually looking forward to that :)

I'm not an uptight guy, and you will see that when we do meet. This system is at least better than my former college where the students are left to fend for themselves for everything, and seniors are too busy to take any interest at all.
avoid BA if you want to get a good gpa, literally every subject will kill your grades (if you are lucky enough to pass 1st semester history).

play your cards well in BBA (read: cozy up to the right teachers in BBA) and you will sail through without ever worrying about your GPA
the people who got an international/tier 1 indian law firm PPO; were they BA students or BBA LLB? i'd like to know if the students who snatch up the creme de la creme offers are predominantly BBA or BA? the top students
Both of them get good offers, if you think that taking BBA will give you an advantage you are wrong, while there might be a slight score disparity the same gets evened out by the time you reach 4th Year.
The vast majority of each batch are BA students and BBA students are usually a small group (separates only for their BBA classes though). In terms of performance however BBA students definitely do generally perform better than BA students within their subjects, but the top students of the batch can be of either BA or BBA indiscriminately.

Bottom line is, you can expect to score better in BBA, but BA does not prevent you from being the batch toppers
Okay, understood! Has there been a trend in recent years as to students from a certain stream (BBA or BA) getting more PPOs from their counterparts in the other stream from firms like CAM, SAM, Khaitan, HSF London, Allen & Overy, AZB, etc?
getting placed is stream agnostic, be it in indian or foreign firms

its just that BA will generally keep you at a GPA disadvantage (work more hours to get the gpa BBA ppl get aka, unnecessary stress for no reason)

faculty in both stream is mediocre at best, some can be downright disastrous (for both the subject and your gpa-history esp)
Nothing of that sort, the firm will not prefer you simply because you have BBA. Honestly in 5 year programs the BA/BBA part is just an afterthought.
1) You have Laxmi Hotel, Moodee Cafe, Noksh Cafe among other right outside the campus gate.

SDL is like a wedding venue with a pool, most of the alcohol parties are organised there only.

Nearest Market area is Mandore roughly 1Km from the campus gate, you can utilise the campus shuttle bus, Auto or the City Bus to reach there, we have a place called Mandore Garden where you can hang out.

People typically venture into the city to hang out as most of the good cafes and restaurants are there only, roughly 10km from the college. (Old City and Sardarpura)

2) The schedule is hectic, there have been days where I had 10 days of continuous tests and assignments back to back, but it is manageable you will get used to it.

The pattern is roughly like this per law subject:

4 Continuous Assessments along with a CRE (Moot) a project/midterms and a final end-term.

I have noticed changes with the arrival of the new VC, it has roughly been 2-3 months since her arrival, let's give her some time to see the complete results, but one thing is for sure she is much better than Poonam Pradhan Saxena.

3) I would recommend you prefer BBA LLB as BA faculty marks very badly, especially the History faculty, granted the BBA faculty is more strict but the mark disparity is very clear.

As you study BA/BBA till the third year choose wisely as a wrong stream selection will make your life a lot harder.

4) The ASLC has a mentorship program where each fresher receives a mentor from a pool of volunteer 3-5th Year students.

Ragging (As some of my peers like to refer it as Positive Interaction) is quite common and something which the university turns a blind eye to (atleast the Poonam Pradhan Saxena era administration) you can definitely avoid the same just takes a little effort.

But there are some stupid rules created like you cannot walk on the grass, not wear shorts and not hangout in places near the campus etc.(I personally did not follow even a single one, you may choose to follow or not follow the same)
Fourth year ay NLUJ here, let me assure you that ragging is mostly confined to 5-10 people per batch who have either themselves gone through that experience or wish to assert their dominance in the junior batches by pretending to be who they are not. You will get to know who all to avoid in the first few days on campus itself. However, if someone asks you to introduce yourself and tell them about your hobbies, utilise it as a networking opportunity and let them know that you aren't comfortable with it if they use a rude tone/ask you to address them as sir/ma'am etc.

On the food and drinking scene, you'll pretty much get everything on campus as swiggy and zomato work just fine with a 70/80 rupee delivery charge. The city has cute cafes and the rooftop ones near Mehrangarh are a uniquely jodhpur phenomenon that you must experience with friends in the evening when the fort gets lit up.

Utilize these 5 years properly and ensure you keep doing something other than just acads and college activities, explore the city and if budget permits, rajasthan has great places to see and most of them are about 4-5 hours away from jodhpur due to its central location. I personally have loved the experience of living in a tier 2 city after coming from a metro - it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for college. It makes you realise that there is a life beyond delhi/mumbai/bangalore and much of India still lives outside these places.

ALSC has an institutionalised framework to assist freshers and I would suggest you to actively approach seniors as most of them would be happy to help - use your school/city/coaching networks to find people and they would be able to guide you in a much better manner in my personal experience.
I too am from a metro city, and I too look forward to that tier 2 city experience that you mention. I have never to Rajasthan before, and I would like to see the fabled charm firsthand. I am fascinated by the heritage of my own city and often go for walks at these spots. Would like to continue the same in Jodhpur too. (There would inevitably be some comments about poverty or the lack of infra, etc. I do not mind any of that.)

As for the Aslc process, when does it start? I'm guessing probably a month or two before induction? Is there any way to connect with seniors beforehand? I know LinkedIn is an option, but it seems kind of weird to just approach them out of the blue there
You probably get to see much more poverty in a metro like Delhi/Mumbai as compared to Jodhpur in my personal opinion. Since you'll be visiting Rajasthan for the first tine, you're in for quite a ride. It has the top tourist destinations of the country and the locals are very hospitable unlike those in Goa/hill stations. And certainly utilise LinkedIn and connect with seniors - don't send requests en masse though, connect to some 4th/5th years.
That is certainly nice to hear, thank you! Alright I will try LinkedIn.
Has the new VC finally started allowing plagiarism check of the student assignments, or is the policy still actively encouraging plagiarism?
Rubbish! Anyone can cross check that from any NLUJ faculty. I have friends who have taught there and still teaching.
Enforcement of the requirement for a plagiarism check is enforced by the individual faculties, but in most cases you have a free hand.
That was very helpful, thank you so much! Please let me know the timeline of this process, if you can. When does the mentorship program begin? When are we expected to pay the rest of sem 1 fees? When are we supposed to report on the campus?

Also as for the ragging, yeah I don't mind that much. I know what to avoid and what to settle for, and I am sure I will sail through if I find more helpful seniors like you. Thanks for your tips!
the aslc process will begin after you're formally inducted. atleast that's how it's been till now

you will receive emails from the uni about when to pay the fee and report to campus. Essentially, anything that you must know, will be told to you. Don't worry so much! hope this helps!
A 69-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.
@mods this is obviously trollish, there is no policy that teachers aren't allowed to put student assignments through a anti plagiarism software.
The teachers are the ones who have said this, not me. Maybe you should talk to them.
A simple question will sort this. Do the NLUJ students submit their assignments on Turnitin or such platform? Or do they email it to an ID? Moreover, which provision of the NLUJ academic regulations prescribes sanctions for plagiarism and does that refer to any Turnitin percentage as threshold or benchmark?
NLUJ students submit a Project Printout out to the Examination Cell Office, However the Professors do ask for a digital copy and may put it through a Software, However the Major Trend has been really relaxed towards Plagiarism and Sometimes Creativity is Marked Lower than a Complete Ripoff project that the Professor is well aware of
There you go then. There is no formal academic regulation in place. As for a faculty to separately upload 100s of projects manually on a Turnitin platform, yeah like that's ever gonna happen regularly for all the subjects!