Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
I'm planning to pursue my PhD from NLS, cause afterall it's NLS. However, one of my professor who is an alumni told me not to, as the VC is not allowing the final submission for many students.

A PhD is already a very long arduous process and imagine 3-6 years of hardwork being kept in a standstill is frightening.

If anyone has any knowledge about this, can they confirm whether it's worth it to still try for NLS ? Please do not suggest a foreign PhD, i do not have the finances necessary.
That's a common feature of Sudhir's reign. Unless he likes you, your guide and your thesis, he won't pass it regardless of whatever the feedback from external evaluators says. There have been people waiting for over a year after submission although their results are already in.
Ridiculous. Passing a thesis is an objective process. Once the committee, including the external examiners, have approved a thesis without further corrections, there is no justification for not conferring the degree (unless ofc there are serious doubts on the properiety and objectivity of the committee, which doesn't seem the case). If what you claim is indeed true, this is a wildly inappropriate and unconventional practice and merits a legal challenge, if not governmental scrutiny.
Ask the NLS PhD scholars who have got into depression. Their guides have even told them things like different versions of "It's not you, it's me (when it comes to the VC)". I know at least two of them personally, who are waiting for over 15 months now. People are understandably antsy about filing a legal challenge, because it is their degrees at stake. Similar scene by the LLB students have not been protesting against his high-handed antics either despite there having been a lot of bad blood over it.
Sounds extremely unreasonable. I hope the doctoral candidates would all band together and write an open letter or some such sort. Greater bargaining power when in solidarity. This seriously puts into question Sudhir's credibility as an academic if this is the way he treats future academics. Scholars are supposed to be models to be emulated, not autocrats to be detested.
Yes. But there's a reason for this. Many in NLS are languishing since 2015 without completing. The thesis goes ahead only when:

1. Your committee feels it right

2. The external examiner feels right

3. You have incorporated changes suggested by externals/committee/other people in your PhD presentations.

The issue arises at all of the 3 stages. Also because the NLS didn't systematized the program. Now, it's a little more systematic and Prof. Arun is being strict towards people who haven't submitted their thesis. Many have been asked to finish it during the year or say tata bye bye.

Some people's thesis has also been languishing with external faculties. So, that's an issue university needs to solve.
Nigam, Mrinal, Aparna, Sudhir himself. Basically NLS alum currently working there as faculty.
Your supervisor is the most important aspect of your PhD. At present, NLS has one of the best people to guide you in public law. In private law, you have limited senior faculty. In the interaction of social science and law, you have one of the best faculty. So depends ultimately on your subject. Look at profiles of NLS faculty and see if there's someone you like. Else try for somewhere else.
Look at the PhD topics at NLS. They are mostly theoretical with limited practical relevance. The public law supervisors have little ability to offer any practical guidance. Instead of such a PhD, three years at any random unicorn will leave you with better practical skills.
& what if someone wants to pursue academia or research ? I feel it would still hold value over other colleges in India.
what do you think a phd is for? If you want to practice law- just go practice law! This is so random!