Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
I am currently in my 4th year of law school at NLUJ. So far I have 3 GenCorp internships (JSA Mum, Khaitan Blr, JSA Mum callback) but GenCorp work hasn't yet excited me yet and I'm thinking of switching to another area. I have several years of trading experience (mostly losses though) before I gave it up due to limited capital and ability to take losses. Now I'm headed to corporate law for the stability... but if I have to grind and toil for the next few years, I'd love to do so somewhere where I can get exposure to financial markets the art of fundraising - in a manner that might help my trading and/or perhaps pick up the skills and network required to get funding for a venture of my own someday.

I would be very grateful for some insight into how CapMarks, PE&VC and/or any other practice areas might be helpful in pursuing this. I understand the grind, and monotony, and clerical nature of work at lower levels etc., so looking for something more insightful than 'bro you won't have time, your mind will become mush, etc' - assume that's an externality I'll have to manage anyway.
no area of law will give you skills which will make you a better trader. But PE/VC might help you in the 2nd ascpect of your question i.e. learning fund raising. However, this will only make you aware about the process, and might potentially help you build some contacts, and youll be better able to negotiate your own deal (one day) in front of VCs if you thorughly understand the provisions. At the same time, this field will not expose you to the business aspect of how to actually run the venture; youll have to learn this elsewhere or transition from law for a few years before launching your venture

Core finance and law has almost zero overlap.
No. Funds is only related to formation of funds, that too mostly private funds. It has no connection or overlap with financial markets. As I said, no matter which team you choose you'll be always doing documentation and legal work only. Even if you join a investment bank like Morgan Stanley in a legal role you won't get better at finance. Law is law.

If you want a career in finance, transition. Think about a cfa /mba and transition to finance.
What if I have not done subjects like Economics, Accounting and Maths for a while. Because I do think about an MBA often, but these limitations come to my mind.
That is a very bad reason to not do an MBA, you only need basic understanding of these subjects. Math is irrelevant, only elementary level maths is needed, all calculations are done on financial calculator; for which financial accumen is needed. Which i would assume you have if you're planning to do a Mba In finance.

Maybe the CFA will be a better option for you since lvl 1 starts from basics and you can opt for online classes.
Do you think Law + Finance would give me some advantage. I'll be very upset if I waste my 5 years for nothing. Not like there's anything I can do about it.
nope, if you plan to transition back into law then youd be better off with the work ex, but if you want to transition then it is worth it, dont worry about losing the 5 years, think that youve only lost 5 instead of starting work and then being miserable and transitioning after 10yrs.
Cap Marks is good. You get a holistic view of everything. Though people might say it's mind numbing, you get an idea of whole picture provided you're willing to look beyond the letter.
drafting a silly offer document where the "Risk Factors" is dotted by an international counsel gives a junior Indian lawyer no clue about the real picture of financial markets whatsoever. I think private equity (not M&A) and leveraged debt finance (i.e. high yield debt) gives a dynamic understanding of how market gaps are identified, how fund flow is executed, how debt finance works during down markets and how public offerings can be stratagized at the right time for the right threshold. Get a CFA and make your life happier man; being a lawyer at the biggest of the firms is limited only to the 500 pager review/drafting of documents with non existent requirement of a financial bend of mind on a daily basis. Start with the CFA prep, work as an analyst at a mid sized IB/boutique IB and get an MBA after a few years. Best of luck!
And what do you learn about financial markets at IB firms? Coming from a person who followed this path and know countless others.

Doing an analyst job only gets you to the financial drudgery of the same shit that gets done by CM teams. The same documents and papers, but more excel sheets. More numbers. This isn't tech, it's pure paper pushing, and mindless stuff that a CGI can easily operate. Its not fun, not interesting. 99% of the people want to shift to PE.

Coming to M&A Execution in IB. No, not different. You create pitch decks, which are templated presentations. You don't learn anything. It's the same shit. People leave, all of them. It's a glorified sales job, which will surely be irrelevant in a few years as more PEFs and HFs are running in house research and sales. Even a VP at such a firm is doing the same paper work. You are just another paper pusher.

If you want to learn the financial markets, you must read books. Do courses, ofcourse, the CFA helps. Not the work. You don't even need this knowledge for the work in IB.