Read 104 comments as:
Filter By
I was in his class 15 years back, was mostly boring

Sure he might have improved, but I will be shocked if he has become the best in the college

Not sure if he got better or that every good prof has already left 😭😭
Prof Dr Sandeepa Bhat followed by Dr Anirban Mazumdar and Dr Shameek Sen. Faisal Fasih and Vaneeta Patnaik/Shouvik Guha round off the top 5.
Unfortunately, for most student, the "best" professor is the one who grades papers very leniently and hands out high grades like candy. That would be AKP.
What a fall that these people are considered the best profs nowadays!! FYI these are the profs who used to teach there:

1. Upendra Baxi, Ford Human Rights Chair

2. Madhava Menon, Tort Law

3 BS Chimni, Refugee Law, Trade Law

4. MP Singh, Constitutional Law

5. Vikramjit Banerjee, Constitutional Law (now ASG of India)

6. Shamnad Basheer, IP Law

7. Sudhir Krishnaswamy, Constitutional Law

8. M Shiju, Constitutional Law, Labour Law

9. Sourav Bhattacharya, Labour Law

10. Rudrangshu Mukherjee, History (later became VC and Chancellor of Ashoka University)

11. Vishwas Devaiah, IP Law

12. Pritam Baruah, Constitutional Law

13. D Banerjee, Criminal Law

14. Altima's Kabir, former CJI: Juvenile Justice

15. So many others: Meena Panicker, Daniel Mathew, Chinmayi Arun, etc.

I honestly think NUJS should be renamed, so that the public can make a distinction between Gen Y and Gen Z graduates.
Prabhash nothing to write home about

taught us economics - should not have, used to regurgitate what he read in the morning

taught us international law - extremely passable

By what standards is he a good teacher? has something changed?
Those had not been his subjects, he was forced to teach those in a semester on emergency basis. He taught us World Trade Law and IIL. Was very good in both.
That's everyone named above. Very few junior faculty get their choice of subject.
Tiring seeing the Noojies keep harking to the past in every comment. We get it, you once had good faculty. But how many of these names were employed in permanent jobs positions (not visiting scholars or random chair professorships) and actually stayed for more than 5 years?
Not all the people you mentioned were of the same calibre. In fact, several of these names are comparable to some of those mentioned by the other guy. I agree about the overall decline in quality though. However, your list contains some dubious names like Kabir and Meena. Vikramjit was passable at best. Sudhir was never considered a good teacher. Daniel, Chinmayi, Pritam, Vishwas were good, but more or less of the same calibre as Anirban, Shameek or Souvik. D Banerjee, Sourabh, Shamnad, Shiju, Chimni, MPS were extraordinary.
Sandeep, Anirban, Shameek and Souvik would rank in the same league as few people mentioned in your list.
Shameek is fantastic. Well structured classes that are easy to follow but still thought provoking. Clear syllabus. Always open to having a chat. Fair marker.
Anirban is great. Socratic method follower. Clear syllabus. Discusses paper pattern. Teaches very well. He’s also v approachable.
She's good. Objectively speaking, these all are teachers good in a classroom that the place has now. Anirban, Shameek, Faisal, Ruchira, Sandeep, Lovely, Atul, Souvik. The last four do good research and publications too from what I know. There are a few younger peeps who have joined in the last couple of years, but I don't really know about them, so won't comment.
He has published more than most of the other faculty combined. He also works harder than your entire batch combined. So, shelve your attitude and entitlement, you shameless troll.
He only publishes with students. Isn’t that slightly suspicious? All his publications start as student PIL projects
So what? A good teacher identifies a promising and hardworking student and their ideas and works with them to develop it into full fledged papers. Sounds like a wonderful thing to me.
The way he conducts his classes is simply eww. Taking away attendance for not answering vague questions? Made me lose all interest in international law, thanks to him!
Taking away attendance because you are sitting in the class without paying any attention to the discussion or not getting involved? Sounds fair to me.
Let him take away class participation marks, but attendance means attending class, nothing else. I've spoken about his misdeeds in T1 law firms where I've interned, most of the associates and partners seem to agree.
No, attendance doesn't mean dragging your sorry self to the room and sitting there zoned out. It's your interpretation of what that means. As for your reference to law firm associates or partners, as if they would discuss such things seriously with an intern, and even if they do, who cares? They aren't the arbiter of the standards of a university. Why don't you try telling them that if you just turn up physically for the internship and don't do any work, they should still consider you as an intern? See how they respond.
Marking is excessively harsh. Case load is too high. 100 cases a semester are sufficient to understand the subject. She’s also very rude.
Basically, she asks for quality and effort, which most Noojies lack these days.
Rightly said. NUJS students are one of the worst among NLUs now. Don't do any work, always on the lookout for extensions, exemptions and undeserved grades, and lazy and entitled to the core. Even the guest faculty and alum who visit for credit courses agree to it. Instances of student malpractice in credit courses are already multiple. These people have driven away almost all the good faculty from the institution with their attitude and apathy towards education, nor do they appreciate the bare handful of good people still left. That's why it has become a distant fourth among law schools, way behind NLS, NALSAR and NLUD, and will be soon overtaken by NLUJ and GNLU too. The outcome of the Aditya Birla Scholarship fiasco this year is not enough to make them feel ashamed clearly.
We're still #1 when it comes to placements. NLUJ and GNLU are never gonna overtake us.
What has she done? During our times, she used to teach really well, especially Insolvency Law and NI Act. She was expert in in giving practical knowledge of commercial instruments, was strict though in evaluation
That's the point. Anyone who is strict about evaluation is automatically the worst in the eyes of the current students. Even people with 10% attendance feels that they are entitled to the highest grade because they have paid their fees.
Syllabus hasn’t been updated since I was born. Didn’t take elective classes. Marking is stingy. Doesn’t reply to mails.
You're just a misogynist and jealous of a successful woman academic.
Typical. All these stupid threads popping up and the NUJS one sees the most traction, because its jobless students and alum frequent this cesspool the most. As for determining the quality of profs, no anon troll here possesses the necessary qualification anyway.
Guys slow down. Don’t constitute random allegations against some professors. This is not acceptable. We will have to close this thread if this continues.
Ankita and Ankita, the sociology teacher and the English teacher respectively are wonderful.

Lovely das gupta as Contracts faculty is another excellent teacher.

Tilotamma as Torts is also a good teacher.

- first year student at NUJS.
You have not been taught by her. And those who have, didn't even see him. So that makes you a grade one troll. Misogynist too.
She's one of the most hard working and intelligent people at this university. Stop lying and defaming people. You're just showing spreading these lies because she won't settle for students not putting in effort in class and for assignments.
as a first year understandable to be impressed by her lol, wait till you study hr. no misogyny, no ad hominem remarks, but just an absolutely unbearable prof
I am not a first year. However, you are clearly a sub par student who doesn't want to attend classes. Only that category has problem with her since she won't give you extra attendance or extensions.
I believe you're the one defending SB across LI. I wish you would reevaluate your defense.

I really do not think she is a good teacher or a good person. I'm saying this while at the same time I have deep respect for AA and think he is a great teacher (aside from some off tone behavior).

Coming back to her, her classes are taught by reading the statue line by line. Furthermore, she does not engage with her supposed area of expertise, the Transgender Act with any kind of proper knowledge. She may be hard-working but does not understand how to deal with college age students.
I have been in her class too and no, she does not read statutes line by line unless it is to explain a nuance. You passing comments by portraying as if you are an authority on proper knowledge of a statute or the authority on dealing with college age students is nothing but ridiculous. If you know better than her about the things that she teaches, then why not try calling her out during the classes and demonstrating your superior knowledge or her lack thereof? These are all baseless allegations, prompted by the fact that she is the one of the few faculty left who enforce any kind of discipline or academic rigour inside the classroom.
I was impressed by RG is first year thanks to all the revolutionary talk

5 years out of college I think her type is what is wrong with liberal education in the country
Had you instead focused on how she is making a subject seem interesting in class, you would have probably learnt something in the process.
Astounded by the hate the LM teacher recieves, primarily because she is strict with her subject and doesn't spoon feed things. People prostrate themselves before the Political science teacher, someone who hasn't taught anything throughout the semester, and the very people complain about the LM teacher being horrible.
This is why Noojies don't deserve any good faculty. In most other universities, good faculty leave because of bad admin and other service conditions. Here, for the last few years, good faculty leave because of bad students, while the few good faculty who remain behind get attacked and abused on a regular basis. These students are pathetic! No wonder NLS, NALSAR and NLUD students have left them far behind.
"Agni sir" was not a good LM teacher at all. He was a misfit for that course at the very least. His Privacy course was better.
Best prof at NUJS are Kanchan Yadav, Atish Chakraborty, Sonam Basu, Bhavya Shrivastav, Tanurup Das, Jyotirmoy Adhikari. Entire batch scores 7/7 or 9/10 in subjects taught by these faculty. Should be very good professors.
Yes. When Mahesh Menon was teaching CPC, entire batch scored between 1-3/7. Now when Jyotirmay Adhikari taught, everyone scored 75+. Is a highly successful advocate too along with Jawaharlal Bhattacharjee, the replacement of Saurabh Bhattacharjee.
I hope this is sarcasm. Mahesh Menon was one of the best teachers at NUJS for CPC & Clinic.
Yes, they are favorites of the 2024 batch, the OG online batch. Even batch toppers have been found guilty of unfair means to increase their grades in that group.
Jyotirmoy Adhikari is CPC faculty. Freely distributes marks and does nothing than reading bare act
But isn't it a rule of NLUs that practitioners always make for better teachers than academics? Dude was a practising advocate with a decent practice who had to quit for health reasons.
He had a practice because his father was a minister in Bengal government and was instrumental in NUJS planning during late 1990s and early 2000s.
Most lawyers have practice like that only. The point is that students always believe that practitioners make better teachers, so an exception here?
Definite exception. He has taught CPC & CRPC, couldn't have been any worse. Heard Surja Kanta Baladhikari was much better
Despite that, the students still have no clue about what the CPC bare act contains. Sad.
Most teachers are alright. There are a few bad apples everywhere, immature of kids to wash the dirty linen of their university out in public.

Take it up with the the authorities if you have an issue with the faculty, and not on a random LI thread.
Dr Sanjay Kumar for tax law is one of the underrated professors at NUJS. The knowledge that he has of income tax is just phenomenal. He also teaches really well
His slides have inconsistencies. Portions of the bare act have been reproduced incorrectly. He also did not finish syllabus.
It would be Prof. Sandeepa, Prof Shameek, and Prof Anirban making it to the best.

But others are also equally good. Prof Shouvik is sharp and has impeccable knowledge of the law. He also mentors students very well, which is a rarity in NUJS. Even the new Prof Aman engages the class really well and also puts in a shit ton of effort in teaching. Plus, he's pretty cool. Prof Vijay also teaches extremely well. His classes are well-structured and very clear, arguably right after Prof Shameek's in this criteria.

Largely, the noojie profs who have come back to teach are amazing, and their classes are very well delivered. TBH, I think we genuinely need noojies to come back to teach at nujs. They know the law very well and take efforts to not only deliver in class but also mentor students. Their classes are worth attending. Plus it's always cool to have someone who knows our culture and understands us.
None, they overcomplicate the simplest matter to the point that what they are teaching is their viewpoint of the law at that point which can change anytime, which means no value in real world
Here are my ranks:

1. (Joint First) Dr. Lovely Dasgupta

1. (Joint First) Dr Sujata Roy

1. (Joint First) Dr Arup Kumar Poddar

4. Dr Sreenivasulu N S

5. (Joint Fifth) Dr Shameek Sen

5. (Joint Fiftth) Dr Tilottama Raichaudhuri
I hope this is sarcasm. Dr SR doesn't take more than 15 classes a semester for securities Law and same for TRC. They don't complete syllabus and haven't updated syllabus since time immemorial. Also Ig you're missing quality teaching since I think you haven't been taught by Faisal, Anirban, Sandeep
This is just misogyny on your part, bringing down successful women faculty and trying to colour them worse compared to their male colleagues.
No, good female faculty exist like Dr Lovely Das Gupta, Vaneeta Patnaik, Ruchira Goswami, Ankita Chakravarty
RG is an amazing teacher. The current snowflake gen is incapable of recognising quality teaching. I didn't even like her subject and she still kept me super invested in her classes. It's sad that NUJS is now full of students who cannot appreciate good teachers anymore. I have subsequently been taught by some of the best teachers in the world and I would still rank her as one of the frontrunners.
A 26-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
That's nonsense! He [Shouvik] is one teacher who has never been known to mark anyone badly for any personal reason. I loved his PF classes and his Corp 1 too! If you don't study on your own, attend classes regularly and remain attentive, then you won't be able to follow his classes. That's true for any good teacher who teaches technical papers. He mentions many real life scenes to show how the law is applied too. He has also been very patient with students in class and outside who had any sort of doubt ever. A top teacher in my book.
Lol, anyone who says Anwesha's classes are better than Souvik's is the sort of student who never attends classes to begin with.
Shouvik's PF classes were brilliant and really helped me during internships and later in the initial days of my law firm life. You are just angry because he is one of the few teachers who marks objectively and does not go for grade inflation. 2024 batch means online classes. Everyone knows how students attended classes and performed back then. Most teachers just gave away the marks. Few didn't.
For those who pay attention in his classes, Souvik makes solid practical sense in his lectures instead of making students memorize bare acts or cases. I for one liked his classes and approach. Very helpful for advice on internships and publications too.
I have done only his Company Law class so far. Never like the subject much, so didn't pay much attention TBH. But he was very kind to me and helped me through a difficult stretch. Huge positive in eyes. I have never seen more than a handful of kind people at this place. He's definitely one of them.
Someone who writes "as for retribution" wonders why they couldn't score a high grade. Sigh, LI and its brainless trolls.
The tragic thing about that its own students thrive on dissing their own faculty anonymously. They don't understand how this affects the rep of the institution negatively. They are not children, other law school students seem to be very much aware of this. This is why this place will never rise to the top.
A 7-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 38-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 9-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 4-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.