Read 70 comments as:
Filter By
I see that lately watch collecting as a hobby is being derided on LI. That's a bit unfair, for every n00b A3 flashing a Rado at some team dinner, there are some of us who are committed hobbyists. We research, review, and then procure our timepieces. Yes, it is an expensive hobby, but we don't do it flippantly. We are serious about it.

Let's discuss watches, and all that come with them (the good and the bad) on this thread. Please don't troll or derail the conversation (at either end, no "this watch is for the poors" kind of obnoxious behaviour, and no "watches are capitalist conceptions, let's cancel watches" kind of wokes).

I'll start - I'm in the 8-10PQE range. I currently own - 1. Omega Speedmaster, 2. Seiko Samurai, 3. Apple Watch Ultra. My future plans (next 2-3 years) include Grand Seikos, Seamaster, and (hopefully) an Oyster Perpetual.
Tudors are great watches, but the brand suffers as a stepchild to the main Rolex scene. My suggestion is that you don't get y, save up for the real deal. Most people won't recognise a Tudor (clients, colleagues, partners), whereas a Rolex shows you've arrived.
Casuals may think this but those in the know love Tudor. I have a Black Bay Bronze that I love as much as my 116710LN and Daytona. Tudor is no stepchild to Rolex by any means.
I am an EP at T1 and a watch collector. We buy watches after careful consideration and reading about the movements, history etc. - I have never bought a watch to impress/flash. That would become obvious if someone saw my collection - they are expensive but very understated watches. I fell in love with watches because i have always liked all things mechanical etc. While it can be an expensive hobby but that is not a must. For instance, i know a collector who collects only vintage omegas which are very very reasonable - my advice to all upcoming collectors, always buy what you like, what inspires you etc. - look for deals, try the vintage market - some great pieces there. Currently, i own JLC, Rolex (daytona, pepsi ;-)), Tudor, some limited editions of GS etc.
This is exactly what you should NOT do. If you truly enjoy watches and consider yourself a watch enthusiast, then you should not care what clients or partners think... And a Tudor is by no means below Rolex.
Great to have a serious thread on this. I'm an SA at a Tier-1, I started with an Apple Watch, then a Tissot. Have saved up around 5L for my next big purchase. ADs have offered off-the-shelf Rolex around 8-9L. I'm wondering if I should save up more for it, or settle for an Omega and defer the Rollie dreams for a bit more.
Omegas and Rolexes are two sides of the same coin man. Choose whatever you like, I personally am saving for the Cosmograph Daytona and own a Carl F Bucherer Manero (00.10919.08.53.21) and a GS (SBGH291G). Any idea where Rolexes can be bought out for retail adjusting for upfront advances and lesser waiting periods?
The Ethos Rolex Boutique in Chanakyapuri Delhi is your best bet. Otherwise, I prefer the ADs in Dubai. I found the London scene quite judgmental (the few times I visited). Not sure of the HK/Singapore/NYC scene, no personal experience.
How to have access to Vacherons in India, this is urgent and I want to get one.
In what universe are Rolexes and Omegas similar? Rolex is at least 2 tiers above Omega. The Speedmaster (iconic as it may be), can’t hold a candle to a Daytona. The Seamaster is not even a top tier diving watch (that would be the Submariner and then ultra professional stuff like the Deep Sea). No other Omegas even have brand recall, whereas Rolex has a solid competitor in every type of professional and dress watch.
The Tissot Visodate and the PRX are some very good looking watches? Which one did you get?
Visodate. The PRX is now way too common, and honestly I'm tired of the integrated bracelet look. It's been done to death imo. The Visodate just feels like its in its own world with the domed look.

Alternatively, consider a Junghans if you can save up for the equivalent of a PRX Auto.
Not a fan of the Junghans design, personally. It's a great watch, but not my taste. I think I'd much prefer a diver.
I think you'll be better served with Seikos and Doxas then. There's a rich heritage of divers at Doxa in particularly, and those boys can take a beating. I've taken them to dives, does as intended.
Waste of money. Youngsters who buy rolexes to show they have arrived havent a clue what generational wealth actually looks like.
Ooof. Great buy sir! How did you manage to get one? (assuming it's not been passed down generations)
I’m just wondering which T1 EP has time to post comments on Legally India….
Make subreddit on Indian lawyers wearing watches and post a link here, All watch enthusiasts can go and live in their bubble there...,, will make this website a happier place.
Friend, you’re free to ignore this thread if it’s not for you. Or are you jealous at your T3/stagnating litigation practice?
I usw fasttrack always early on time, fast at doing due diligence, im fast at everyting
Outdated lawyers still buying 19th century watches.

STEM guys having new age smartwatches.
Tier 1 - Patek, Rolex, RM

Tier 2 - FP Journe, AP,

Tier 3 - Vacheron, JLC, Blancpain

If budget is below 1 lakh go for Longines or IWC
What... IWC is under 4L, forget 1. Also - the Longines you get under 1L? You're not really getting the heritage.
Would also put FP Journe in tier 1. They are only available in the secondary market.
Man, how are you forgetting the Carl F Bucherer. Been to the swiss scene once and found everybody obsessed with Bucherers, Vacherons and IWCs.
Girrard Perregaux is underrated man, saving for one for when I hit the Counsel position.
I am a bit of a contrarian when it comes to RM. It's just a hype watch, with absurd ostentation. Nowhere near deserving of God Tier status (which is reserved for Patek, AP, and Vacheron). Personally, I'm as likely to buy a Hublot as I am to buy an RM.
Tier 1 (Heritage) - Rolex, Patek, A. Lange & Sohne

Tier 1 (New) - RM, FP Journe, Jacob & Co, Franck Muller and Greubel Forsey
Tier 2 - Audemars, JLC, Carl Bucherer, Blancpain, Vacheron, Bregeut

Tier 3 - IWC, Panerai, Hublot, Omega
Only if you get something other than a Royal Oak. AP has become a one watch brand.
I've been collecting for some time and quite happy with how the collection looks now. I've some under the radar stuff like Doxa and FRC (it was when I got it at least), and some known names like Tudor, Longines, and Tag. But I've never bought a watch to signal that I've arrived etc. etc. I just really enjoy the game.
I am a woman law student who will be starting her career at a T1 soon, I'm also quite intrigued by watches but I'm not sure if women's watches are worth it? Which models are worth saving up for?
You don't need to buy a watch really. Watches are now squarely in the hobby realm, if you really consider who's buying them now. You're just as fine wearing a Boat Smartwatch or a Titan (I read some thread about a jerk boss, but really nobody will look at your wrist, you're an A0. You're expected to just pay rent and somehow live.)

That said, Longines and Omega really have beautiful pieces for women. The Longines Dolce Vita is just.. wow.
Boss people buy homes in T1 cities and bring up multiple kids on a A0's salary wtf you mean you just expected to pay rent lol
As a partner, all I care from an A0 is that they do their work, and they're able to pay rent to come back to work on time. :)

They can buy homes, raise their families, have affairs and raise second families - whatever they wanna do. I was talking about the expectation from the firm perspective.
The Lady Datejust is class. Worth saving up for. Otherwise, it’s a lot of jewellery adjacent watches like Cartier (not to everyone’s taste).
Cartier tank is the ultimate watch for a lady, worn by Audrey Hepburn, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, shows taste while being less flashy, lady date just is a bit blingy in the law firm too much attention
Dost, this girl is just starting out. A Lady Datejust is a good target to work towards, a good Cartier is ages away. In fact, at a law firm a Lady Datejust is just the sort of thing that will attract admiration. One needs to be assertive in his/her style choices, understated can be pulled off once you’re nearing the upper echelons (equity partnership).
Jacob and Co. Tourbillion.

Vintage Omega/ Patek or Hublot.

The rest are just blaah!
What's a Vintage Hublot? :/ The company's not old enough to have vintaged watches.
And tragically, Richard Mille is doing the same to the top end as well. Disgusting design, worn by tasteless folks. The number of clients I see (M&A/Gen Corp SA here) wearing Hublots is TOO DAMN HIGH. My bonus has been set aside for the Rolex Explorer (I'm getting there soon), that will be real class.
A0 to start my first job at a litigation firm in a month. It is so refreshing to see fellow lawyers discussing beautiful time-pieces here.

I am planning to get a Tissot PRX Automatic as my first watch. Any suggestions around the same price bracket are welcome!
I don't wear a watch.

I don't judge people who spend money on watches. If it is something which gives you joy, you should go and get it. Be it a Rolex or a Hublot :P
Please suggest a model that I can wear to work:

I'm 25M and absolutely don't care about watches. I cannot be bothered with all the delicate movements and histories. I want something reliable, accurate, fill it and forget it type. Smartwatches are out because I don't want to charge another device. I don't want to be bothered by scratch on the sapphire/crystal/whatever glass, I should be able to bump into door handles and not care. Basically I want something like GShock or the F91W but formal looking.
I think you should stick to quartz models then, since you'll have to replace the battery only once every 2-ish years for an analog watch. I really like the look of the Tissot PRX, but bear in mind it's no Gshock.

You can also consider a stealth mode (all black) Gshock GA-2100B but its not really formal but maybe you can get away with it. It has tough solar so you won't need a battery replacement and it can take a tumble.
Get a professional watch, like a Seiko. If you saved up, go for the Omega Speedmaster.
So sad to see all the wannabes cribbing over Rolex v Omega and/or RM vs PP. None of you are real collectors as an actual watch lover would always have a Casio and a Seiko. You're just saddos who don't know what to buy with money and think watches are a good tool to show off.
Bruh, I have a Seiko. And an Omega. Stop being judgmental, both are great in their own way.
What a pointless thing to say. Practically all suggestions to first time buyers here and on other watch threads has been to buy a casio or a seiko. Stop watching Watch YouTube and parroting Nico's nonsensical shit.
I was flying through Dubai recently, and tried out the Bulgari Octo. Man, what a watch. I know what I’m saving up a few upcoming bonuses for.
A 74-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.