Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I am enamoured of the place ever since I have started hearing great things about it from your posts. Is that so wrong? Say it isn't so...
NFSU will provide the greatest BSc LLB degree ever. It will be the most comprehensive degree ever seen, I am telling you. The most detailed degree ever.
I am confident that the SC will side with the Karnataka HC and strike down the domicile quota. But the million dollar question is this: will the SC also uphold the Karnataka HC's view that NLSIU is a special case and not like other NLUs, or will the SC say that domicile quota in all NLUs in India is invalid? The Karnataka HC had pointed to that fact that the CJI is the Chancellor of NLSIU. However, the court forgot that he is also the Chancellor of GNLU and WBNUJS! Or does the "G" in GNLU and "WB" in WBNUJS mean that they are still state institutions?

There is another wild card option: the Modi govt steps in with a proposal to nationalise all NLUs.
The courts will not intervene in domicile quota cases. State governments (as all NLUs are state institutions) can and will bring executive orders to ringfence their interests, if needed (as Karnataka Govt is doing in this case).
But NLS has a certain level of autonomy which other state universities like Bangalore University do not have. This is the reason why the Karnataka HC held that the state can't impose domicile reservation but then our messiah willingly started the domicile reservation as he needed funds for expansion (destroying the quality of the University).
Yeah, the issue is once a quota is started it cannot be reversed. That will be seen as an anti-social act. Let's assume for a moment that the SC upholds the Karnataka HC order - NLS will still have to "voluntarily" continue the domicile reservation as it will be foolish on its part to confront the state government and attract its ire by removing it - pani mein rehkar magarmachh se bair nahi karte. The fact that Karnataka Govt has not accepted the HC order and taken the matter to the SC tells something.
I agree with Khyber on this point. If only Sudhir could have stonewalled till the SC order, then there was an outside chance. However, given that the NLUs do depend on the state government for land, fundings etc., they can't really go in direct opposition.
Autonomy, yes. Cushioning from the effects of exercising that autonomy by going against express government wishes, no.
Bhikari NLUs will always depend on the State Govt funds, including the so-called 'Harvard of the East'. Just look at the size of the balance sheets of the NLUs!
Tum log NLUs se degree leneke baad muffat mein kaam thodi na karenge? Paise ke liye hi to padraheho na? Some are born into rich families, and some have to earn it. At the end of the day, money is what counts and money is what matters!