Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Absolutely. This shows a lack of self-respect and ingrained insecurity. Just across the town, there is IISc (ranked #1 in the world for research on the QS ranking).
Well done if they have referred NLS as Harvard of the east. Stop being so jealous and try to be like those students.
The title "Harvard of the East" has always been used within NLS in complete irony. I know nearly one thousand alumni, and not one of them takes that term seriously, or treats it as anything other than a giant joke.

As anyone with a passing interest in Greek drama would tell you, the Greeks used the concepts of the "Alazon" (the vain braggart) and the "Eiron" (the underwhelming counter to the Alazon) to simulate a direct dialogue between the characters and the audience.

Dialogue that is "of Eiron", or "ironic", is meant to talk to two audiences at once, but both within the same person. The first hears the dialogue, but does not understand what it means. The second, on hearing it, is aware of the first audience's lack of awareness, and is also aware of the underlying layers to that dialogue. Irony is a little like quantum superimposition- if an object can be in two places at once in quantum physics, then irony assumes that two memetic units are conveyed, even though only a single meme is immediately apparent.

Sadly, it seems that only one audience exists within you.
If it’s used ironically, why did you people coin it in the first place and encourage the media to use it?
The term Harvard of the East was not coined by Law School. It was used by the media, public and lawyers generally, so the name stuck.
Correct. What can Virat Kohli do if everyone called him King Kohli? With excellence comes adulation and all sorts of nicknames.
Up until 2 years ago I would have disputed the title of Harvard of the East. But following the appointment of Sudhir and the amazing faculty hires and changes done by him, I think the title is vindicated. Let's also look at the stellar alumni achievements: a QC, professors at Oxford and Columbia, partners at top global law firms, 3 Infosys Prize winners and 2 Time 100 honorees.

So the title is justified despite certain Asian countries doing better in the QS rankings. Not everything is about rankings.
Asian universities have got way more alumni in the first three categories. Infosys prize is no big deal in the global context no matter how much we salivate about it in India.
The teaching standard has fallen, the campus is overcrowded now, student achievements are at an all time low. NLSIU has actually started giving up all the advantages that it used to be known for ever since Sudhir took charge.
Because it’s true. NLSIU IS the Harvard of the East. The best brains out of 1.5 billion people study here. Show me ANY other law school ANYWHERE in the world with such tough entry requirements and such amazing alumni achievements. Choose any random NLSIU grad and pit him against the cream of Chinese, Singaporean or Japanese law grads. The NLSIU grad will win hands down.