Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
My top 10 in this hall of shame. All were removed after student protests except 3 and 10 AFAIK.

1. Sukhpal, HNLU

2. SS Singh, NLIU

3. Amit Talukdar, NUJS

4. Ishwar Bhat, NUJS

5. Nirmal, NLU Ranchi

6. Veer Singh, NALSAR

7. Jaswal, RGNUL

8. Jaswal’s wife, HPNLU

9. That dude kicked out of CNLU, ex-NALSAR Registrar

10. VS Elizabeth, TNNLU
Ishwar Bhat should be #1 because he inherited a brilliant legacy built by eminent scholars like Menon, Chimni and MP Singh and demolished it, to the point where NUJS is struggling to keep up with even NLUJ and GNLU. Also, he had a reign lasting nearly 10 years.
In my floating academic career I have come across half a dozen VC and have tracked the progress of a few more. In my personal opinion Bhatt has the dubious distinction of being the worst VC in terms of an administrator and person. He suffered from a curious form of policy paralysis whereby he would take a decision reverse it at the slightest protest and then try to sneakily bring that back paddle back and then fret over it. Apart from personal frailties like casteism, chauvinism etc. he also has little vision of building an institution and was more interested in personal gratification like extending his tenure. He let go of the best faculty members that NLUs have ever seen (last couple of years of MP singh). He entered into a faustian bargain with the WB law minister and introduced domicile quota, he also green lighted the second campus, but thankfully a powerful EC member stopped it. He got some land but not the money to build. Like many on the list by OP Bhatt also centralised power to an extent that he would personally intervene on the choice of mopheads to be bought for cleaning floors. I wonder if he had spent more time on academics and retain the talent like Sudhir, Shamnad, Jasmine, Prabhash et al. There is a report which states that over two dozen faculty members quit in the first term of Bhatt. All of them had joined when either Chimni or MP singh were VCs.
A VC is as good/bad as the students. If a VC gets way with corruption and incompetence, the students must be blamed for not protesting early.
Bhat, Talukdar and NKC: The holy trinity of incompetence, servility and mediocrity.
NKC is more or less the same as most NLU VCs these days. Other than Sudhir, Bajpai and Faizan, there aren't really any good ones left.
Amit Talukdar. But, he was not an academician; so he may be pardoned.
NK Chakrabarti as VC and Raja Chakraborty as registrar have been phenomenal for NUJS. They're strong action takers and are working hard to maintain reputation and legacy of nujs. Unfortunate that college didn't have permanent registrar for 7 years. This defamation campaign must be stopped. Showcause notices should be served to those who defame
Hands down Ms. Poonam Saxena at NLUJ. No infrastructural development in a long 10-year tenure. Shutting down B.Sc. LLB, exchange programmes and making appointments on the basis of nepotism. Good riddance!
Have heard that the nepo appointed prof is also leaving soon, he has been taking online classes for now.
Nobody can beat CNLU

A. Laxminath

Ms Justice Mishra

Both were legends.

Another legends:

Sukhpal Singh (HNLU)

SS Singh (NLIU)

Ishwar Bhatt (NUJS)

So many characters
The name of the CNLU guy is Lakshminath. He should be higher in the list and BimPa should replace Veer Singh, who was bad but not so bad as to deserve a top 10 mention. Even Jaswal may not deserve top 10 status. Bhat should be higher in the list as well.
The number of people who quit for other institutes was actually 6, not two dozen, but I agree with you about in general about the rest.
You are very right about Bhat, but it was the TMC government which was the puppet master for the decline of the college, he was merely the puppet. Also, why did the students tolerate him for 10 years and not protest earlier?