Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
No, these were all Direct Training Contract (non India scheme route) hires. The uni isnt involved in this, and students apply for this individually as international students, competing with the general UK applicants for training contracts
If we have to compete with general UK applicants, would this route not be significantly harder? Would it make sense to even try for TCs this way?
I think NLS/NALSAR especially have more collaborative efforts with varied foreign law firms. But to answer your question , foreign law firms are usually gained after an individually responsible effort. RCC has very little to do with tie-ups.
Who was the last ire from NLS/NALSAR from Freshfields, Clifford Chance, or Baker McKenzie? :)
Lmao who got a TC with one of these firms this year from NLS/NALSAR?? What cap
Check the reports last year. What the hell dude - everyone covered that. Blind noojie spotted
NLSIU should just release their placement report. What are they so afraid of?
these guys can only compete within the indian pool lol nujs killing itt
Nujs is killing it? You have definitely not seen the numbers then. At least NLS is still keeping the respect of law schools
There were FIVE TCs from NUJS 2023 batch alone. When was the last time this happened at NLS?
And also historically NLS has sent wayyy more people than Nujs to foreign law firms. Some are even partners there. Nalsar closely follows them
These TCs have start dates of 2 or 3 years after the person graduates. They are a waste of time.
they can always do a LLM or BCL in the meantime

gives them even better street cred later on

During 2008 financial crisis when some of the firms held back offers, they offered to pay the fees for LLM course, I am sure with the firms being flush with money now something like this can be negotiated
As someone (presumably from your response) farther off in my career - what difference do you think 2-3 years makes in a decade(s) long career? A corporate lawyer (SA level) could aim to get into one of the same international firms after 4-5 PQE. Regardless, the kind of training and exposure you receive at your junior level at such international firms is unparalleled to what you get in India, definitely worth the 2-3 year 'waste' of time. You also can't discount the difference being in a particular market from the very beginning makes, in comparison to making a lateral shift later on. Not to say a lateral shift isn't a good route, I've seen people around me do it and be extremely successful/comfortable.

Also, at lot of the people who were hired directly from my college (during my years) through the India schemes were often given a little more exposure to the India desk/work at HSF/A&O/Links - not as formal policy, but this does exist. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but a non-India scheme hire would very possibly mean avoiding this, unless you want it.

Just saying that a TC is a wonderful opportunity you would be insane to let go of, regardless of it being 1 year (in case of India scheme hires) or 2-3 years after one graduates.