Read 38 comments as:
Filter By
Students scoring between 93.5 to 99 percentile to get 25-50 percent scholarships. This year the scholarship has been reduced tremendously. Is it still wise to join Jindal when I can join other NLUs or just retake clat? The fee is not coming down below 6 lakh even for the scholarship holders.
This is depressing to say the least. Jindal has consistently pulled this shit off
Look. Here is what I don’t understand about all of this. How is any degree going to fetch a return on investment of 60 lakhs ? This is not a time to make decisions from a scarcity mindset

Given that there isn’t a great record of placements. How is this money going to come back to you ? Assuming you do the best that a student from Jindal can do and you get into a T1, how long would it take to earn back 60 lakhs ? 5 years ? Is that really worth it ?

If you have the option to join an nlu - you should. If you have the option to get a legal education anywhere else for less money- you should take it. Cause the ROI for this degree isn’t there.

And I hate to say it - but a lot of the stuff admissions teams promises you isn’t there either.
It has been always like this. They paint a rosy picture of the scholarships and ultimately end up reducing them.
If you want to end up with a high paying job at an established law firm, remember that Jindal's shot to fame lies in its quality of faculty, not placements. Do a basic LinkedIn search and you'll come across tens of 2023 graduates from Jindal with extremely high CGPAs still being unemployed even after trying everything. The ones below a relatively high GPA are not even allowed to sit for placements to begin with!

Additionally, a huge number of people lose their scholarship in Jindal for any number of reasons because the policy is created that way β€” getting the scholarship is easy, retaining it all the way is not.

As such, even if you have the money, I'd highly recommend re-taking CLAT under better coaching mentors and utilising your privileged command on English to eventually end up at an established NLU that opens up many more options for you.
The fee at Jindal is less than the fee at many IB schools, plus law schools like IIM Rohtak and BITS. So I don’t get the whining. Jindal is typically meant for students belonging to families earning at least 40 lakhs upwards a year, with bank savings of at least 4-5 crores. For such families, a degree worth 60 lakhs is easily affordable and most can also afford a foreign LLM in addition. If your family is outside this financial bracket, then go to an NLU or TLC. Simple.
This is not true. Currently IIM Rohtak charges 6LPA, which is less than the fees of JGLS. JGLS gives a much better return in terms of campus, facilities and faculty though.
What bullshit. Jindal is not meant for certain people, I studied there, My family's yearly income was around 10-12 Lakhs a year. And they had another child's education to support as well.
Please explain how you financed your way then. Unless your family starved, they couldn't have spared more than 2 LPA for your education by your own accounts.
I had a 75% scholarship through LSAT, I had to pay around 3.25 Lakhs for the first 3 years including hostel money.

Covid happened (so 0 hostel fee) and we got a discount of 30k in our 7th sem (since 6th sem fees was fully paid but services were availed for 45 days) so I had to pay 1.07 Lakhs in my 4th year. I had to pay 1.37 Lakhs in my 5th year.

All in all I had to pay a little under 12 Lakhs for the 5 year degree.

The first 3 years were definitely difficult for my family, they sold an old car we had, pawned some jewellery for a gold loan etc, delayed paying our home loan instalments, and none of us had any health insurance (huge risk in covid) and plenty of other things.

Hope this answers your query.
Sold a car , pawned jewellery , delayed house loan instalments - exactly one shouldn’t join Jindal after a 75 percent scholarship
Still had an enriching experience and working at a wonderful place, earning well. Financial troubles have been sorted. Worked out for me. But you are right, does not necessarily mean it will work out for others.
Right. And mind you even clat toppers do get Aditya Birla scholarships which cover a substantial amount of money. Last year when I secured 99 percentile in lsat , Jindal was even hesitant to hand out 75 percent and this is a true story. It’s worth it simply
Agree with you completely. I was not a CLAT topper though, so I think I got the best out of everything I had on my plate. My rank was 900's in CLAT.
It's almost impossible to lose a scholarship at JGLS. All you need to do is not flunk and not be involved in a disciplinary action, both of which are not very hard to do.
Sorry, Jindal's vaunted faculty mostly look good on paper, actually the bulk teaching is usually done by freshers with foreign LLMs who lack any teaching experience. That's the reason why despite having supposedly better faculty, their graduates don't turn out to be better than NLUs. And if you cannot produce better students, then how are you better faculty?
While I'm inclined to personally agree, this is largely a subjective aspect of JGLS' evaluation. My central point was that any fame or praise that Jindal gets primarily comes from having (on paper at least) a number of famed professors, and not from anything that the placements cell or the alumni/student body has so far achieved.
Lol. Someone tell admin that faculty are what get them their rankings and not students. That way they might not chase every good one out of town.
Why not just a nlu and retake clat. If you have got this good of a percentile in lsat , then maybe you still have some strength left. Go ahead
Yh but why waste a year when u can perform well at sls and get the same job?

Anyway faculty and facility wise sls is prolly better than most nlus except nls.

5 yrs itself feels a lot for law, 6 yrs now way!

Also ppl have no idea how difficult slat was this year. Many of those within air 500 in clat didnt get sls pune so yh its damn good if u did actually get sls
The jobs will be different dude. Sls alumni is going really strong no doubt. But they have a long way to go. Retaking is always a nice option
Always. Moreover sls has a lot of things to sort out within their placement cell itself.
Wdym? Many sls pune alumni work in t1 and a lot of others work in house in places like goldman sachs, morgan chase and all.

So yh those who do well at sls pune r doing much better than the avg nlu grad working in some random indian lw firm