Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
I got NLUO with after sitting for clat this year. I am a dropper. Even worse, I had to repeat my ninth grade so thanks to the drop and repeat I will be 20 this year. I really want to give clat again, I feel like I can do well in it if I work really hard. For context, I got marks in 80s whilst getting -1 in QA. I am convinced that if I work hard in QA this year I'll be able to get a tier 1 law school. Of course, it won't be a complete drop, I will go to NLUO but I'll prepare for clat on the side, but I am having doubts. Am I too old? Is the difference between NLUO and a tier 1 NLU large enough to justify yet another year of my life being spent on this, especially when I am already going to be 20? Please help me out guys
First give CLAT again, then subsequently get into a T1 NLU and think about this conundrum post that. Why stress over 2 options when you do not have 1 of them? The chances of getting into a T1 NLU are marginal, so stressing right now makes 0 sense
NLUO is a decent law school, you will graduate when you are 25. That is a lot. I am 23 right now and have been working here for 1 year already. Years and times of our lives are highly precious. Do not let them get away if you'll end up at the same place eventually.
That is a lot but that isnโ€™t an exception. Sometimes not joining around 22-23 is perfectly fine if the institution matters in the long run
He might end up in a difference place altogether. You are right but at the same time your thinking is a bit outdated.
Search deeply. Your batch or the batches lower or above you have people who were just like OP. They might be even in top positions now. This advice wonโ€™t work anymore
Not a good logic at all. 60 percent of associates join around 23 and the remaining folks are 24/25 anyway if you search deep. Itโ€™s very common. Age isnโ€™t an issue at a law firm.
I donโ€™t know why I get so emotional when I see threads like these because trust me I was in the same boat as you were. Dear bro/sis , you will never be late if you start at 20. Tons of my friends did start at 20 at a tier-1(to not sound vague , one my frnds started at NLIU around this age and two my frnds started at NLS around this age) and hey I am also going to mention myself. The average batch age of tier-1 nlu varies a lot (especially at NLS). When you will actually go to law school , you will realise 20 is a fairly young age because half of the batch average will range from 19-20. Considering the fact that clat is happening this December , and your admission next year will be way before your birthday (since clearly you havenโ€™t turned 20 yet this year) , I will say go for it. You wonโ€™t regret it. That being said NLUโ€™O is doing fairly well (yes there are humongous administration problems) but the placements havenโ€™t taken a hit yet. You can count on it. But I donโ€™t know why , even though I donโ€™t know you , your confidence and faith in yourself can make things happen for the greater good in this yearโ€™s clat.

Please ensure you balance your academics with clat preparation. Promise yourself and start hustling. Time will give you your value if you make good use of it. I understand your concerns but trust me this drop wonโ€™t be a big deal. If you wanna get in touch , I will drop my mail. But try to follow this advice first. As you said yourself , you are taking a partial drop. If you are mature enough to make it this time , you will be judicious later on as well. Go ahead , ace your acad at Odisha , prep well for clat. Itโ€™s hardly 5 months. You can do it โค๏ธ
Hi, OP here. Thanks a lot for your compassionate response. It has been weighing quite heavily on me, but I am really glad to see that most people here seem to be supportive of a partial drop. This year's CLAT was heartbreaking for me because I made a few silly mistakes that deprived me of 2-3 additional marks that would've likely given me NLIU or GNLU. So I was extremely disappointed and I was feeling like a failure ever since. I've been in a fragile emotional state lately due to all of this, and trust me, I cannot explain to you just how much better I feel after reading your comment and realising that there are other people in similar circumstances. I will work very hard to perform well in CLAT this year, and I'll make sure I don't neglect my academics in NLUO either. Thanks a lot for replying, and I'd love to get in touch with you through email if you're okay with that. :)
I share the same feelings. I feel itโ€™s written by my younger self. Good advice :)
I am glad to know that you are helping people out like this. More power to you โค๏ธ
No not at all. This year some people joining Nujs and nlu Delhi are 20 (especially Nujs). Some people are already 19. Why it will make a difference. Yes there will be 17-18 year olds but itโ€™s not that they are supremely young , infact the difference is minor. The age range of 18-20 at a tier-1 is never ruled out. So donโ€™t worry graduating at 24-25 is not old as you think. Go ahead and give clat. But yes keep your grades decent at NLU-O as well.
I think you are pretty new to this forum. Few weeks back this was a hot debate. The conclusion which majority of us reached was that taking clat beyond 20 will be a folly. But you are still within 20 or will be 20 anyway when you join after the clat this December. Donโ€™t let this distract you then. You are young. Yes you gotta justify the drop years but that wonโ€™t affect your placements. Your grades will matter at college. So maybe try to get not too overwhelmed with the advice here and start working towards clat with ofc keeping things safe at nlu-o. Donโ€™t let age be a distraction if the age you are in is relatively okay. It wonโ€™t be an issue. So donโ€™t worry. You can retake clat
I normally donโ€™t suggest retaking clat cause well aspirants get overtly obsessed with this phenomena , but your case seems workable and you can make it into a top 3 of you work towards it. Especially after the maths part , I think you can do well. So do it.

NLU-O isnโ€™t bad. But again I am not hearing good things about them a lot. So maybe try avoid that place , or just take a seat and retake clat.

No 20 isnโ€™t too old lmao. Infact itโ€™s perfectly fine to start at 20. One of the folks this year joined at 21(which I think may raise eyebrows) but believe me he is getting props for cracking the exam instead of getting demotivated. And 20 anyway is a pretty safe age. You wonโ€™t be too old or old at all. So stop worrying
No lol. I personally know a frnd , joining Nujs around 20. Infact a few of my acquaintances are joining Nluj around 19 and they will be 20 this year anyway. Please donโ€™t think you are old.
If you are convinced that you can work hard , then go for it. It wonโ€™t be a mistake. It may seem daunting a bit but hey you are taking a partial drop. Also there is a substantial difference between the tier-1 and nlu-o. I am saying this after being from GNLU.

Also , focus on the exam please. I have seen a lot of folks like you (please donโ€™t take offence , I am just advising) claiming that if they work hard they will get it but ultimately they rank lower. My point is people from the college you mentioned obsviously will try to make you stay there. But if you are passionate , maybe just work for it. And I donโ€™t think 20 is too old. Itโ€™s a bit late yes , but not old. There are people who start around this age even at tier-2/3
Hi, OP here. Thanks a lot for the encouragement! And you're completely right, CLAT is a very unpredictable exam and I'd need to work really hard to do well. I will put it as many efforts as I can into the exam, and I'll also make sure that I don't neglect my performance in NLUO so that I have a viable backup if my performance in CLAT and AILET this year doesn't improve. And yes, there is indeed a substantial difference in tier 1 NLUs and even very good tier 2 NLUs like NLUO. While I'm sure it's a great college, I hope I can make it into a T1 this time.
Nehi bro. 20 isnโ€™t a โ€˜too oldโ€™ kinda age. I donโ€™t usually comment here (only a keen observer) but this was literally the hot topic few months back. You can even check some threads. I agree with a point mentioned in this forum only that see even a person taking just a year drop can make them graduate at 24. Depends on you. Your batchmates wonโ€™t be too young or infact some will be your age only - I can confirm this because a 20 year old in my batch is a topper infact. And there are many of them. This is not any norm but this has become quite normal after 2020. Check some threads if you wanna comfort yourself.

https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/256763-graduating-at-245-normal-right
Think with a clear head. Donโ€™t take a drop haphazardly. You sure you can do it? As some Nalsarite mentioned a fellow symbi in this very forum couple of days back that clat has become very unpredictable. So maybe just sit back relax and think about your options. If you are sure then perform well at nlu-o and prep for clat/ailet to your liking. Nlu o isnโ€™t bad but not too great either
As a senior at nlu-o , I can confirm that we are still going strong in corporate. But yes we are substantially behind the tier-1 folks on multiple levels. But you wonโ€™t be losing anything here. But again there are people who do for clat in their first year here and get out. Majority of them donโ€™t make it.

Also nah 20 ainโ€™t old lol. Infact some or no quite a few of your batchmates at nlu o will be around this age
I am also preparing like you with a backup in hand. Same exact situation. Can we get in touch via an anonymous email. We can share our topics together too for gk if you want.
Hey, OP here. I'd love to get in touch through email with you! GK is without a doubt the most important section in the exam, and I'm sure we'll both perform better in it if we collaborate.
Being a person from nlu-o , I have even advised a junior to go for Jindal on a scholarship. Yes the opportunities here are nice but diminishing. So you will have no problem justifying another year when you will join here, the condition is becoming pathetic.

But again opt for clat , if you are quite sure. Only then you will be able to crack it. Consult someone who is in the same boat as you are. 20 isnโ€™t too old / or even old for that matter. It will only matter if you think itโ€™s old, so maybe stop worrying about it.
Just check LinkedIn and you will get your answer. If you would have been asking me this question around 4-5 years back my answer would have been a conservative no. But looking back if I would have been in your shoes , I would have opted for the drop, cause seeing the industry closely I have realised that the tier-1 is eating jobs. Donโ€™t let anyone fool you. Go there and prep for clat. And maintain your grades for a safety cushion. You have nothing to lose right?
If this was me I would have thought about it. Not sounding too vague here but a drop is not always recommended but your case is a bit different. I will say go for it but please study rigorously at nlu-o as well. Balancing will be tough but this is something which you have to take care. 20 isnโ€™t a old age to start nowadays.
Lele drop , but keep it partial. I am a fellow double dropper as well and I have no problem settling in with the batch. In fact everyone is receptive and why wonโ€™t they?
I was so against taking a drop. But trust me , this might change things for good. You will be asked to explain your gap years but will never be denied any opportunity because of it. Then why not take the option of retaking clat again when you are still within 20 and the exam will happen this year itself right? Go with it. NLUO isnโ€™t bad but tier-1 will provide you a whole lot of other opportunities.
Clat is preponed by two weeks. Stop asking questions , stop getting distracted and focus on clat. And no 20 isnโ€™t too old
It isnโ€™t. Infact itโ€™s very normal. I have seen multiple 21 year olds as well. Just chill relax and study. Itโ€™s perfectly fine for a person like you to join clat. Also you are giving clat this year itself so you can even claim that you clat cracked earlier. Go give it.
Gone are the trends where you worry about drop years. Nowadays people understand if you have a good justification. I say go for it
Aaaye it seems like I was almost on the same boat as you were. I say go for it but please stabilise your grades at NLu-o. Getting into top 3 will get a lot tougher this year now that clat is preponed (as I heard from juniors). And I donโ€™t think 20 is that old of an age to start again.
You can obviously go for it but make sure you are quite sure. Not cracking it will make you more demotivated. But you do make into the tier-1 arena , itโ€™s all set. And you are not that old for a reason. So be less tensed.
I will be practical here and say that itโ€™s still worth to drop for a college under tier-1. NLUโ€™O is still lagging behind in a lot of factors and I myself I have heard this (both on and off this forum). And as for the age , my batch is a good example of an assortment from 17 year olds to even 21 year olds. As per your situation , 20 years of age is not beyond the average age range. So itโ€™s not a big issue as you think it is. Prep for clat and yes chill out
Keep a low profile till December , talk to people but majority of your time should be devoted to studying. Prep for clat along with balancing acad at NLUโ€™O. Itโ€™s a big deal if you make it. So just hustle.
Attempt CLAT once more. The difference between NLUO and Tier-1 is huge. However, it is better than a lot of universities. I would suggest taking admission in NLUO and start preparing for next year's CLAT.