Read 42 comments as:
Filter By
I heard that new associates are always being judged at big firms, both by seniors and peers. So what luxury brands should I buy so as not to be mocked? For watches and shoes, should I start with a brand like Ferragamo and then move upwards? Also, will people be able to tell the difference between a genuine and a fake?
Anything less than a Bugatti will not cut it. On a more serious note, consider standing out on the basis of your work and positive attitude perhaps?
Well dressed =/= luxury brands. People expect you to be well dressed. Nobody expects you to buy clothes from luxury brands. Spend your money wisely and buy clothes that fit you. You won't get mocked as long as you dress professionally. Haven't seen many partners who wear Ferragamo or the likes to office everyday, let alone Associates.
Please do not buy luxury brands to fit in. It is the worst possible reason to buy luxury brands.

It is far more important to just wear well dressed, crisp and clean clothes.

I am not saying you shouldn't get it, but do so only if you like what it is you're buying and feel pride in owning it.

This is something which you can grow over time organically.
Watch - Panerai

Clothes - Gucci

Suit - Brioni

Your fake will be spotted soon

............Else , impress with your sharp dressing and logical thought. Nobody gives two hoots about what you wear. Stay away from people who flash their expensive LVMH. They are not trying to impress you and the clients like me who look at their expensive goods, can easily spot faff from luxury cowboying
Stay away because someone has a particular brand’s products? Sometimes it’s just a way of making yourself feel nice and celebrating milestones achieved through hard work and the things that matter. The choice of product to buy is personal to each person and may differ - if it’s a bag or watch which becomes within one’s reach and they buy it, doesn’t make them people you need to stay away from.
One Tier 1 has sent attire guidelines...talk about regressive in today's age. On one hand they make so much noise about pride and inclusivity etc and then they are censoring what one can wear. Seriously this place has gone down the drain with such ridiculous policies...lala land in the making
An insecure person will always be insecure regardless of the brands.

You're in a T1 because of the things that matter. Ab load mat le zyada.
What BS! you are judged on the basis of your work product and ability to work well within the team and in between teams. Everything else is para materia! Stop focusing on things that do not matter. Focus on the ones that do!

Dress smart. Work smart. Don't act smart.

Sincerely,

A Partner who wears simple clothes and an old Titan watch!
Absolutely Correct!!

You should be presentable, that is all that matters.

Your work should speak for you.

Everything else is a facade.

I know a partner who wears Rolex, and has no respect from juniors and his peers.

Best,

Ex - Associate
I disagree with the comments here. I think luxury brands do impress certain types of clients. A wealthy businessman in Delhi told me that he was impressed with a young lawyer after seeing her in a foreign car and wearing LV and Louboutin, so he gave her work because she seemed successful.
" "young" lawyer after seeing "her" ", "Delhi"

That is the reason sir.
Luxury brands may be required when you are interacting with French / Italian clients. Such level of interaction will come much later in your life.

For the time being, focus on learning the ropes quickly and making your SAs and PAs dispensable.

Be on time, and appear ready to work.

Btw, I wear a FastTrack.
1. You're a troll; or

2. You're not trolling and would like guidance on cultivating a refined personal goods collection.

For the latter:

1. Watch - no harm in starting off with an Apple Watch in your first year. Hold off on "serious watches" till you become an SA. Then you can go for a Grand Seiko. Don't be a n00b and buy some gaudy crap like Rado. Once your making big bucks, then an Omega Speedmaster. PA on the verge of Partnership can consider a dignified, entry level Rolex like the Explorer or the Datejust. This is where I am personally in my journey, ultimate goals are obviously not in my reach yet - Royal Oak/Nautilus/Vacheron.

2. Clothing - start off by buying Raymond fabric, stitched by an experienced master tailor. As you go up the ladder, improve the quality of fabric. It's not about gaudy brands - so no ready to wear flash.

3. Car - personally this is a purely functional choice, I drive a Creta now which costs nothing compared to the rest of my lifestyle.

4. Travel - I am still a business class guy, though I could afford First, I don't see much value addition there.

5. Stationery - fountain pens, start with a Lamy and keep going up as you go up the ranks.

6. women/men: I'm straight, I date women my age, rarely colleagues. Now that I'm senior at the firm, I've also explored dating older women. In case you're, LGBTQI+, different benchmarks may apply.

Good luck, friend.
Mod has marked this comment as starred, but the poster sounds like a complete douchebag/bro/toxic male.
Lol. These people aren't rich enough to afford real luxury products.. Even Partners order furniture from IKEA for their homes.

If you are becoming a lawyer to become rich.. Boy do I have news for you. Do not become a lawyer for the money. You aren't gonna be making any real money. Its fake news that lawyers make money. Its a by product, that too very little.
Apart from the 1 percent businesspeople, wall street executives and fund managers, law firm partners still make enough money to put u in the very rich and later super rich category

Don't even ask about senior advocates, their revenues outnumber big business
Junya Watanabe, JW Anderson, Rick Owens, Balenciaga, Marni, are pretty good

LV and Gucci and too mainstream and uncool now
Whatever happens - please develop a taste in expensive watches once you hit SA. It matters to the client for heavens sake.
Noted my dear Counsel. I have my eyes on the Frederique Constant once I hit SA1.
None cares. You are not joining KKR after a good MBA. It’s just a law firm. No one cares and this is the truth
Looks mean a lot in the corporate world. Many top-tier corporate people wont even look at you if you wear cheap clothes. It's extremely important to dress well and look smart. My advice would be to absolutely buy high-end brands. You can easily afford it if you work in a good firm. It's also important for both men and women to regularly go to the gym to look slim and to visit the salon for face treatments (bleaching and skin-lightening to look fair + facial and anti-wrinkle treatments to look young). Look at people like Adarsh Ponawalla, Gautam Singhania, Nita Ambani, Namita Thapar etc. If you dress like a tramp in front of such people, be prepared to be treated like one. Snowflakes may think that I sound rude, but I am being brutally frank.
What is important is that you look neat and presentable. Wear clothes that are neatly washed, crisply ironed and fit well. Shirts/tops/blazers/pants from Zara, Marks & Spencer and at times H&M also do the job. You have to invest in good quality clothes, not necessarily splurge on clothes to show off.

Your footwear speaks great volumes about you, make sure they match well with the outfit and are cleaned.
A 19-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 92-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.