Read 41 comments as:
Filter By
I have not got admission in nlsiu as I was not able to crack it. I have got nalsar. I have not floated nalsar yet. I have gotten into nlu Delhi as well. I stay in Kol. I feel NALSAR has a better perception rate but nlu Delhi will give me better options for opportunities. I am in a tier-2 nlu (second year). So whatever I choose now , I have to stick with it. Please give me some recommendations. It will be great.
If you want to get a corporate job a little more easily, then choose NALSAR. Apart from the corporate placements though, NALSAR is not ahead on any metric except age.

NLUD does offer much better opportunities. Just look at the recent DJS and UPSC records. Faculty are still better at NLUD (a couple of distinguished NALSAR alumni teach there too), research opportunities are better, batch sizes are slightly smaller for now, location is a huge plus and infrastructure is certainly not lacking even though campus being in a urban area is smaller. And in terms of the future, NLUD seems to have more potential to improve while NALSAR seems to have stagnated. And there are more people dropping even NLS for NLUD now. Although, if you want to play it safe, NALSAR isn’t a bad choice.
Last line is disputed. No one is dropping NLS for NLUD, saved for the odd 1-2 people across 2-3 years (most of these cases are people from NCR, so in reality maybe 1 person drops NLS for NLUD for "better" college reasons).
1. Well corporate placements are the reason for 99 percent students writing CLAT, so. And not just a "little more easily", NLUD has very few placements compared to the number of students placed and procuring PPOs combined for the simple reason, that the management contains the alumni in mostly every team of every firm. You can check the placement reports for proof.

2. DJS and UPSC have NOTHING to do with the college. NLUD is not "offering" students UPSC and DJS, there are two exams and an interview for EVERY candidate regardless of ANYTHING. Yes it gives you a degree to qualify you for the exam itself, but so does NALSAR and so does DU. Look at GLC and DU grads in the UPSC and DJS results and you will understand.

3. Research opps is not a constraint, as from NALSAR, there are numerous students working as RAs in NLUD Centres. It honestly even does not matter as research in law or any subject in India is a Joke. You wouldve to go to Upenn or OXbridge for that. (Foreign exchange given to many by NALSAR, but wont use as rebuttal as you haven't mentioned this.)

4. Location honestly does not matter at all. Look at NLU Mumbai and the location. Is it helping the students? Delhi has the supreme court, thats it. Tell me how much can a student accomplish on Fridays in the Supreme court when Misc Matters are listed? If you wanna watch the proceedings, they are live telecasted on the SC Website. The High court of Telangana is also close to NALSAR.

- You would only get to work here during vacations, and there location does not matter as half the NALSAR Batch anyway is in mumbai or delhi then. To give an example, GLC clearly has an advantage due to loose attendence requirements, so the location definately helps students intern longer and acquire PPOs- Still lesser than NALSAR and more than NLUD lol.

3A- NLUD fees- The fees is now over 3.2 Lakh rupees an year, which makes it highly unaffordable to payback in loans. Yes the 70-80k difference * 5 definately matters.

4. NALSAR has anything but stagnated lol, kuch bhi generalize mat karo. The present batches are achieving laurels on all levels, moots, publications, TCs, PPOs. Dont hear much about NLUD. Ironically, NLUD's VC came to NALSAR and is now weakening structures and the culture here, making it like NLUD.

Get your facts right- My batch has atleast 25 students who were the Toppers in AILET.
Alright, so you validated my point. Since placements and PPOs are largely dependent on alumni, so NALSAR and older NLUs have an edge. But that’s hardly something the institution itself has anything to do with, as much as it is a function of age and time. What does NALSAR as an institution offer that is so much better? A better question to ask would be if NLUD had started functioning earlier in 1998 or whatever and NALSAR began 10 years later, then would NALSAR even come close to NLUD today? You’ll find that the answer is no, and NALSAR relies heavily on its legacy to stay competitive.

And your views are quite myopic since you seem to only know what’s going on in your college. NLUD achievements keep happening every year.This convenient dismissal of other achievements beyond placements has been the trending argument of these older NLU students ever since NLUD started out-performing them in these fields. There is a reason why some colleges like the old IITs and even in DU, places like Stephens, produce so many top IAS rankers. The quality of education is better at NLUD, imo. It’s more academically rigourous and unlike NALSAR, people don’t sit on their alumni backs for easy jobs. And I’ve met students from enough top NLUs to know that the quality from NALSAR is not that much different or better.

The location doesn’t matter argument is also weak. As someone else said, people can intern at NLUD after class which is impossible at NALSAR. And watching live-streamed SC proceedings online is quite a laughable equation to actually interning there. And yes, many folks do go for litigation and clerkships in later years post-classes. GLC hardly has any teaching so there is no comparison of that place with NLUD. And lol, I’ve seen their placements, they hardly have high numbers and for batch sizes much larger than NLUD, they don’t get more PPOs either. You should get your facts checked before arguing.

Honestly, I think your defensiveness lets off the fact that NALSAR is no longer some undisputed number 2 like its alumni keep claiming.
Lol so true, I never get why colleges boast UPSC results, when it nothing has to do with the college anyway, none of the NLUs even provide mentorship services for it. Do you see IITs (+other eng colleges) and AIIMSs (+other med schools) boasting about it, when majority UPSC qualifiers are from there?

Why do people connect "law" with UPSC when there is nothing in common except those BA subjects?
I don't know about AIIMS but EVERY SINGLE DAY IITs boast about producing UPSC Aspirants. Heck , infact ET AND THE TELEGRAPH makes headlines about them repeatedly.
NALSAR it is.

NLUD has a sham of placements, is also a newer university so much smaller almuni base.

An overenthusiastic PR team is the main reason behind the over glorification of that place.

NALSAR has a better track record, much better placements, has sent more number of kids to ivy league schools and is more well know.

Heck i would even go as forward as to recommend people to go for something like NUJS over NLUD.
Let me say this for all LI readers so that this foolish malicious comment is rebuked for posterity. NLUD’s placements are good enough as a tier-1 even if not as high in absolute numbers as the oldies. We have one of the highest placement percentages out of students who sit for placements in the recruitment pool. If someone doesn’t get a job from here, it’s because they didn’t work hard enough on their grades/interview/internships.

And NALSAR in recent times has devolved into a more or less local Telugu college with Telugu professors, Telugu VC, Telangana domicile students and some random business school. If you want a real “national” law university that’s actually growing and aims to be better, NLUD is the place to be.
Please share a source to those placements if they are as real as you suggest they are.
How many Hindi people are there in NLUD? Hindu VC? Hindi Professors?

Also nobody gives a crap about lingual representation in an educational institution except that one NALSAR professor who can talk for a month about that, its only being able to score in exams and corporate drudgery. Nobody cares for a "national" law university, least of all the Founders of NLUs and the government/s.

how many non-english speakers are in Cambridge, Harvard? Would hardly be shortlisted (Know people who went to court for this)
abey moderator Hindi ko hindu kyun likhdiya, I wrote Hindu VC!!
Hey. I'll try to keep this as objective as possible and try to answer this question on 6 parameters. 1) Placements 2) Faculty & Reaserch 3) Adminstration & Infrastructure 4) Student Life 5) Perception 6) Extracurricular and Miscellaneous. I'll primarily answer from NLUD perspective.

1) Placements- Both the college will ensure that if you want to get a corporate job, you will get one by the end of 5 years. Now strictly in the sense of Day Zero placements NALSAR is better. However in the recent years NLU Delhi has done better than other colleges with respect to foreign vacation schemes. NLU Delhi is a better place to be if you want to opt for litigation, judiciary it civils simply because of the location. If you're aim is a corporate job I'd say you'll have better chances of landing one at NALSAR. However here again you should make the choice keeping in mind +5 years from now when you'll graduate.

2. Faculty & Reaserch- I don't really know a lot about NALSAR faculty so won't get into that. However will give you an insight with NLU Delhi faculty. With Prof Ranbir Singh at the helm the faculty is above average- good at NLU Delhi. There are a few faculty members who are exceptional and are pretty well known. Even the faculty who is average is primarily due to the its inability to hold the attention of the class. However I'd say still pretty smart people though. Certainly NLU Delhi has really good faculty. I'm sure NALSAR wouldn't be lot different.

NLU Delhi has a many reaserch centers on campus. Some of them like the Death Penalty Project or the CCG does good work.

3) Adminstration and infrastructure: NLU Delhi is good infrastructure wise. The library is pretty good, further the hostel rooms have ACs in NLU Delhi. The campus here is rather small and compact. NALSAR on the other hand has a huge campus and from what I know it's very beautiful as well. The adminstration at NLU Delhi though can be a bit rigid at times, it always tends to comes around. The college does get a lot of funding and spends it properly on the college. Infrastructure wise I believe both colleges are pretty decent. Don't know about NALSAR adminstration.

4) Student life- It's certainly better at NALSAR. NALSAR has a pretty good student life and there are lot of events that do happen there. There's a lot of academic pressure here at NLU Delhi and infact in your first semester itself you'll have classes at odd hours (read 9pm class). That's only the first semester though. Basically you'll be lot more happier at NALSAR. The academic pressure might be the same at both the colleges however there are ways to escape in NALSAR. Though Delhi is a pretty cool place to be and you can always go out on the weekends.NALSAR is far away from the city so you're mostly on campus.

5) Perception- Student perecption plays a huge part in the college ranking. Every year a good number of leave NALSAR for NLUD. Though this number obviously had been in favour of NALSAR. Last year in my batch there was a sharp increase in the number of students who came to NLU Delhi. However also a lot of them were from around Delhi. The student perception according to me is starting to tilt towards NLU Delhi.

6) Extracurricular and Miscellaneous- Both colleges have decent extracurricular culture. NALSAR has more options however with lesser number of students you're likely to get a moot or a debate easily. NLU Delhi funds all it's moots and ADR competitions. Don't know about funding at NALSAR.

It's certainly difficult call to take but I'd say currently(2023) NLUD is still marginally better. However if you're from AP or region around choose Nalsar. A couple of students l Talk to someone from NALSAR as well.
Many of the good faculty from Ranbir's time have left NLUD now. There is no data to establish that NLUD has done better than NALSAR in foreign firm placements in the recent years as you claim. Rest I agree with you.
Death penalty project does good work?

All they do is publish useless reports which highlight that disadvantaged communities are more subject to the noose than others, without the basic reasoning that perhaps there is prevalence of more bloody and brutal crime in such communities (Statistically and logically). Apart from this, they file useless SLPs against death penalties long settled and awaiting execution, using the legal process to delay execution. (even the President of India having denied them relief). Seriously, the Supreme court must stop interfering so much.

What is your point? No death penalty. Seriously when that guy ▮▮▮ starts talking, my blood boils with the privileged position he is coming from in his talk against the DP, probably he doesnt have to deal with habitual sexual offenders in his lifetime ever.
Does better (and actual) work than every "research centre" at NALSAR.
1) "NLU Delhi is a better place to be if you want to opt for litigation, judiciary it civils [sic] simply because of the location"

The college does not matter for clearing the Civil service or judiciary. This is because these exams primarily test candidates on their knowledge, reasoning, and analytical skills, all of which must be developed through self-study and preparation without the aid of the college- evidenced from the fact that most people clearing it are from local not heard of colleges.

2) "Certainly NLU Delhi has really good faculty. I'm sure NALSAR wouldn't be lot different."

NALSAR does not, at all, especially in the coming months as most "better" professors are moving out. The thing is, considering the subjects like law and BA subjects, you dont really need a good professor to explain it to you, it can be learnt on your own pretty well, infact better. 90% of NALSAR students will NOT attend classes if not for the attendance requirement.

3) "The college does get a lot of funding and spends it properly on the college. Infrastructure wise I believe both colleges are pretty decent. Don't know about NALSAR adminstration"

On that front, we clearly lose, will give you that one. No funding and bull**** admin.

4) "NALSAR is far away from the city so you're mostly on campus."

There is good bus connectivity to the city (within 30 mins) so most students are never on campus. Also city mein kya hai yr, shamirpet is also great especially for couples, with the exquisite resorts and open space around.

5)"The student perception according to me is starting to tilt towards NLU Delhi."

Maybe LI threads have given students a reality check on corporate life after the s*** those coaching ▮▮▮ told em.

6)"Don't know about funding at NALSAR"

Pretty stingy tp disburse funds and do not cover anything, which could be a nightmare for international moots.

"Basically you'll be lot more happier at NALSAR" Not really, pretty toxic crowd, especially a newer batch.

7) "It's certainly difficult call to take but I'd say currently(2023) NLUD is still marginally better"

yeah, I guess
If you want to lead a life in a good city, pick nlud. You will get depressed in Shamirpet if you don't have a good friend circle. If you don't have friends in Delhi, atleast you can easily access the city through metro and go on solo trips to nearby places. Other than this, both colleges allow sufficient opportunities to become law firm slaves
1. I don't have friends in NALSAR, and have a LDR in another college. I travel to the city in a 20 minute bus for 35 rupees after class and enjoy. I also visit the amazing resorts around. I absolutely enjoy it there.

2. No, NALSAR offers MUCH more placements and better opportunities. Ask any HR of a lawfirm, who their preference is during shortlisting. Ask L&L- they will tell you- NLS/NALSAR/NUJS, ask SAM/ CAM/ Trilegal/ Saraf/ S&R/ Khaitan /ANY tier 2 firm. LOl just ask LKS, who have really rigid hierarchies. NLUD is clubbed with the other 4-5 below.
Lol, LKS’ heirarchies are your argument? That’s even more tenuous than NIRF, if you’re accepting that. With all due respect, no one at NLUD really aims to work for LKS and I don’t believe they even recruit regularly during Day Zero from other tier-1s. And L&L pays the same stipends to students from NLUD as the older top 3 that you guys keep mentioning.

And as far as placements go, I agree that NLUD’s placements are not nearly as high but placements are a function of alumni base largely and NLUD’s placements have progressively improved with the same number of students in a batch (80). More importantly, NLUD’s batch sizes have been smaller by 40 students compared to NALSAR and NUJS for all the batches that have graduated so far, so the numbers will be higher but look at the % being placed. It’s nearly the same. And no, any student can sit for recruitment, the RCC doesn’t only choose the top 40 or something.

Personally, NALSAR is not a better bet at this point. It’s lost its sheen for a while now and it’s student achievements are certainly not much better than NLUD’s. For such a massive alumni base, hardly anyone wants to teach there. People who claim that the college doesn’t help in UPSC/CAT/GMAT are simply in denial because on all these fronts, NLUD has been better than NALSAR hands down. Even in Moots and ADR and debating achievements, NLUD has won significantly more prestigious international competitions. You can keep shouting placements all you like, but if the placements were that bad, students wouldn’t keep dropping NALSAR and NLS for NLUD.
Which international moots have NLUD won that other NLUs haven't?
NLUD has won Man Lachs (twice), ICC, OxIP, OxPrice. NLS has also won some of these too but NALSAR hasn't won any of these except Price more than a decade back. They've won Vis Vienna, also more than 10 years ago. In recent times, NLUD has been performing better. Not to mention at ADR and debating, NLUD has also performed exceptionally well and mostly better than NALSAR.
NLU-D has sent more people into BUSINESS SCHOOLS than LAW SCHOOLS. Far more prestigious
I'd say pick Nalsar. Better perception in industry and market (important), older law school with huge alumni network (very important), great corporate placements record (single most critical factor) and all rankings and industry perception before this bogus NIRF started rank Nalsar at par with NLS. Also they have a beautiful and very large campus and other facilities.
Lol, with these older NLU people talking all the time about “industry perception” when their colleges are actually not that good anymore. Buddy, when a majority of the industry is dominated by older NLU grads from NLS, etc, of course they will perceive their own colleges to be better, for their own ego if nothing else. That doesn’t mean other institutions can’t be better. NALSAR, with all due respect, seems to be going down the NUJS path of constantly talking about placements as if it’s impossible to get a job from anywhere else.
One thing that I see is common among NLU D trolls is that they boast their institute while 'degrading' others. People suggesting Nalsar are mostly doing it for merits of Nalsar itself and not by shaming NLU D. But you NLU D trolls use such harsh language for an institute that is clearly heads, shoulders and leagues over you guys and it is just funny.
If you are going to comment then rebut facts on merits. NALSAR is not better than NLUD, and it’s been proven these days on many fronts. You shouting about legacy or whatever other yesteryear crap isn’t convincing anyone. Nobody is forcing you to join NLUD (probably didn’t have that choice judging from your comment) but older NLU folks have a bitter tone in the way they paint their colleges. And they distort facts without any knowledge of what goes on at another top NLU. It’s always nice putting them in their place.
NALSAR is a public university, if other NLUs are able to submit their applications in time for NIRF, then why is NALSAR being targeted as you say? My take is that NALSAR has actually fallen in standards quite a bit, and the NIRF rankings year on year are just validating this fall. People have been going on about NUJS falling, but in reality, the NALSAR deterioration has not invited the scrutiny it deserves.
NLU Delhi is definitely better in terms of access to opportunities, especially for those who do not have a house in Delhi/Mumbai/Bangalore, because as a student of NLUD, you can live in the hostel during vacations and intern from there at a minimal cost. This is especially excellent for litigation. An added advantage is that you can do running internships if you study at NLUD i.e in your 4th and 5th year when classes finish by 12:30 pm and 10:20 am (respectively), students intern physically post-class. This is extremely common. Students intern throughout their semesters, especially with lawyers and policy think-tanks. This is something unique to being a student in Delhi as offices are a metro ride away. On the other hand, if you are at NALSAR, you can only intern in vacations (that too by managing your temporary accommodation where-ever you intern) and during semesters, you can only intern remotely.

As for UPSC and judiciary aspirants, NLU Delhi is hands down the best pick because they too can start going to their coaching classes physically post-class in 4th and 5th year. The best coaching institutes are situated in Delhi itself.
Your 5th year classes end by 10:30a.m.? When do they start? 6 a.m.? Or don't you have classes in 5th year at all, instead the proximity to the SC just helps you gain knowledge via osmosis?
If only all those running internships helped you get more jobs. But it seems that the more you intern, the more the jobs keep running away from you.
Even if NLUD had zero jobs, it'll still rank ahead of your college.
A 7-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 61-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 8-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.