Read 37 comments as:
Filter By
Here at nujs it's on a first name basis...most folks don't like being called bhaiya or didi, sir/madam has never been the norm.

2023 batch seems to be obsessed with the most trivial of things.
Sincerely true. The incoming 2023 batch is too much obsessed with drop years when their own predecessors have done it in top 3. Just chill and study lmao
I am a gen-z who was till very recently panicking over my drop years but not anymore cause I realised after thinking about them for 3 days that they donโ€™t matter. Also I realised that I successfully wasted my 3 days where I couldโ€™ve published a paper :)
This must be a reflection for people who are overly obsessed with drop years. Drops donโ€™t matter , your work does. Comment Upvoted โค๏ธ
Aha yes. As if the 2023 batch is the only one who took drop years. They donโ€™t matter but still they want validation. As if the threads are not enough ๐Ÿ˜’. Work hard and study , no one cares about drop years.
No, you are not telling the truth. People are addressed as Bhaiyya, Dada (for people from Bengal) and Didi. I have seen it. Itโ€™s not nice and shows hierarchy and a superiority complex. And the seniors from Bengal should know that in the rest of the country Dada means a goonda and Didi is usually said to domestic maids rather than older sisters (people say โ€œsisโ€ instead to older sisters).
I think you have living in the land of Netflix for too long of you think people in India don't call their elder sisters as didi
Juniors usually address seniors with Didi/bhaiya. However, seniors usually discourage that and asks juniors to address them by their first name
A senior girl once expected to be call Didi and scolded me for using her first name. I replied back and called her Auntyji and Behenji instead. She complained to her bf and I got ragged badly by senior bullies. But still worth the satisfaction I got from seeing the girlโ€™s face when I called her Aunty and Behenji ๐Ÿ™‚
I don't think the custom varies so much. Sir Ma'am is fine. They are not your relatives, neither your friends (they may become your friends in future but that is for another day). Plus looking at the trend of inter batch dating how would you feel dating someone you earlier used to call bhaiya/didi.

Most of them get offended if you call them by their first name, so maybe don't do that... A lot of them will just tell you to use their name when you call them sir and ma'am but let them feel generous by waiting for that time.

All the best, I hope you enjoy your journey.
In nlsiu the seniority doesnโ€™t matter since the age range is very diverse for the first-third year batches. Thatโ€™s why just keep your head straight and just talk to one another informally as you do with your friends. Keep it professional. You can ask your doubts to your rank parents in nlsiu.

As for NUJS , what I have heard from a very close frnd of mine , the senior-junior dynamic is superbbbbbb. I mean itโ€™s readonably healthy (well toxic examples are in every NLU) and so your buddy senior will always look out for you. You can also opt for a different buddy partner. Correct me if I am wrong in this.

I was in a tier 3 NLU for 1.5-2 years before I joined Top 3. And tbh in tier-3 unfortunately , you have to address your seniors as sir/mam. Very problematic but it is very very true. Majority of people wonโ€™t mind but some jobless seniors make this an issue. So do watch out. If you establish a good rapport, then you are set.
I disagree with sir and ma'am. I will happily use bhaiya and didi, but will not sacrifice my self respect. Let's see how it goes when I reach campus. Jo hoga, dekha jayega.
Chill out! If you are coming to NLS then seniors are gonna scold u for using bhaiya/didi and encourage u to address them by their first names.
That's great to hear. The tier-2 NLU i have come from was unfortunately not so.
We at TNNLU doth make use of these for all womenfolk:

Greetings fair maiden of noble lineage and radiant beauty, I humbly request your attention and beseech thee to hear my words.

Milady of mirth and merriment

Oh dair damsel of wit and whimsy

Mistress of mischief and laughter.

Ladyship of the highest sarcasm and cynicism, or if I may be so bold

Her royal highness of the realm of sarcasm and outdated customs

The grand duchess of snark and irony.

โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘‘
โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ you and your sir ma'am. This bullshit was happening in HNLU. I refuses to accept it. Just refuse. There is nothing greater than your self respect.
What if I have a crush on a senior girl and want to ask her out? Do I also have to call her mam?
Senior boys expect junior boys to address them as Bhaiya, but not junior girls, because they want to date junior girls and it will feel incestuous to date your Bhaiya!
GLC has no sir/maโ€™am/didi/bhaiya culture. Itโ€™s fully on a first name basis. Also, no ragging.
Here's a rule of thumb while addressing seniors:

BOYS:

Strong looking boys: Sir

Weak looking boys: Bhaiyya or regional equivalent (Paaji, Dada etc)

Boys from rich and powerful families: Sir

Boys with Nirvana or Metallica t-shirts: Dude

Boys with Eminem/WWE/MMA t-shirts: Bro

Boys with K-Pop t-shirts: โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ

GIRLS:

Girls you wanna date: First name

Girls you don't wanna date: Didi

Gossip girls: Aunty
Hahaha, seems legit. Also, one could easily guess who you wrote for K-pop ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
A 24-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.